infection i think. what can i do NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's doing well. He's actually looking and acting better than he has in the past. He's still not eating crix I offer him, so I'm giving him the babyfood. I administered the first yellow fungus treatment today in case that is what it is. I got the reptiaid, but I haven't gotten around to using it. I'll use it tomorrow.

I have a question. I have a reptisun 10.0 bulb, but it is about a foot from Jean's basking spot. Is that ok? Or do I need to find a way to move Jean's spot closer?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great he is doing so well now. I hope that he starts eating for you soon too. Good that you started the treatment as well, so if it is some yellow fungus, it should hopefully start to work pretty quickly.
Well, the Reptisun 10 tube UVB is a good bulb, & still puts out decent amounts of UVB at 12 inches. However, it would be more effective if you could move it to within 6-8 inches of him, almost double the UVB emissions. :D

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been doing the reptiaid and babyfood. He hasn't started eating yet. I've also been administering the yellow fungus treatment in case that is what the problem is. Anyways, his front toes (the huge swollen ones) have started coming off lately... or at least the claws have come off, leaving dead skin sockets. I'm going to take some pics of the claws later today. But basically, the claws that are removed from his hands are basically just mush kind of.

Would yellow fungus do this? I'm still waiting on the culture.

ub003

Sorry I cant help atall, but you have got the best advice from some of the people on here! I really hope he makes it. The pics look really bad, But its obvious your trying to look after him the best way you can. Good Luck!

Keep us updated

Guy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When did they say the culture would be done? I am really anxious to see what they have come up with.
What are you using on his mouth? It needs to cleaned daily, with betadine & or novalsan liquid to remove the dead skin, & promote healing. You can also get novalsan cream as well, to put on the area to help with healing too. That mouth area is really worrying me.
Has he gotten any better at all?
Keep trying, let us know how things are going.
Are you giving probiotics too? That might help out as well.

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":0292b said:
Hello,

When did they say the culture would be done? I am really anxious to see what they have come up with.
What are you using on his mouth? It needs to cleaned daily, with betadine & or novalsan liquid to remove the dead skin, & promote healing. You can also get novalsan cream as well, to put on the area to help with healing too. That mouth area is really worrying me.
Has he gotten any better at all?
Keep trying, let us know how things are going.
Are you giving probiotics too? That might help out as well.

Tracie

They didn't say when the culture would be done, but I assume I'll be hearing back about it between Monday and Wednesday. So I should make sure to get the betadine on Jean's mouth as well? I would have previously, but I didn't want him consuming anything that could hurt him. And yes, I'm giving him the reptiaid as a probiotic... do I need to use other probiotics as well?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The betadine, diluted, is safe to use on a swab & use on the mouth area. He shouldn't swallow much, if any simply by using a swab so no problem there. That area really needs to stay as clean as possible.
Is it showing any improvements yet at all?
Let me know how the culture comes back. Thanks.
How are the toes doing? The yellow fungus will cause some rotting, yes. I am just somewhat doubtful that it is gout though because of the appearance of it just being in the toes like that. I do not know what would have caused that type of infection, though.
Did you ever have him on any type of loose substrates previously?
Did you get a bloodtest on him too? Sorry I cannot remember if you did or not.
The reptiaid is fine, no problem there. Continue using that if he enjoys drinking it.

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":860dc said:
Hello,

The betadine, diluted, is safe to use on a swab & use on the mouth area. He shouldn't swallow much, if any simply by using a swab so no problem there. That area really needs to stay as clean as possible.
Is it showing any improvements yet at all?
Let me know how the culture comes back. Thanks.
How are the toes doing? The yellow fungus will cause some rotting, yes. I am just somewhat doubtful that it is gout though because of the appearance of it just being in the toes like that. I do not know what would have caused that type of infection, though.
Did you ever have him on any type of loose substrates previously?
Did you get a bloodtest on him too? Sorry I cannot remember if you did or not.
The reptiaid is fine, no problem there. Continue using that if he enjoys drinking it.

Tracie

No I didn't get a bloodtest done. The vet said the mouth area was looking better last friday. I've never had him on loose substrate--only paper towels as a baby, then tile. A couple of his back rotted toes have begun to fall off, and it is leaving a thin fleshy type appendage. Previously these toes have just been hard from loss of circulation I guess. I'm still feeding him through a syringe with reptiaid. Hoping to get the culture back tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks y'all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, if you do get a chance or have the money I would recommend a blood test just to see if there is any strange infection that needs to be addressed with him.
Let me know when the culture comes in. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
How is your beardie today?Hope he is feeling better.I agree a blood test might help rule out other infections.Do you have any updated photos so we can see his progress?

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My girlfriend and I took Jean outside today and tok some pictures:
longjean.jpg

aww.jpg

This will show his mouth
jean043.jpg

Here's some of his feet...
Front feet (notice the lack of claws):
jean004.jpg

jean006.jpg

Back right foot:
jean034.jpg

Badfoot.jpg

On his back right foot, you can kinda see the hard black stuff that was underneath the rotted scales once the scales fell off.

Here's a pic of when he was really young that I just feel like putting on here too:
Jeanreflection.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh he still looks like he is having a really tough time.The hard black stuff is most likely necrosis and this is what happens when the fungus starts to die off and eventually those pieces will fall off.When do you plan on getting the culture result back?Did they give you a time frame?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, he still is having a hard time with that. Poor guy. I hope you get the culture back soon! At least he had a good time outside though in the sun.
His mouth may be looking a little bit better, what do you think?

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They didn't say when I'd get the culture back. The vet sent it off a week ago, Monday, I believe. So I hope to get it back in the next few days. I do think his mouth is doing better, though.

Here's a pic of both of his backfeet before any of the toes started crumbling off (He's had three toes on his back right foot since I've had him). I've already posted this pic in a former page. The reason I'm showing this pic again is: notice the two orange sores/spots/whatever right around the heel area.
jeansbackfeet.jpg

The one on his back right foot (the foot is on the left in this picture) just peeled off. I had a bunch of white/tannish material inside it. What could that stuff be? Anyways, I put iodine on the area to clean it off, and then I put him to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom