infection i think. what can i do NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HELP!

I went to Jean's cage and he was completely limp and started spazzing out. He has a black beard completely. I'm pretty sure he's about to die. I don't want to sound too grisly, but is there anything I can do to make sure it's painless or whatever?

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Right now I have the lights off and I have him resting on his log. I don't plan on doing anything unless someone suggests I should do something. But he is completely limp when I hold him, and nearly dead I think.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm just letting him rest right now. And I'll hope and pray that whatever happens is for the best. I shouldn't have used the tea tree oil on him after he responded to it badly two days ago. I think that's what set off his seizure type thing this time.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the previous three hectic posts. But last night I used some of the tree oil and lamisil on Jean, and I put him back in the small cage I brought back to Houston with me (I'm at my home now, as opposed to the apartment back at college). When I came to check on Jean, he was slouched in a very weird way, and when I picked him up, he had a seizure and then just hung limp. I immediately put him to bed next to a heater and periodically checked on him. He remained limp for hours or more probably, and I seriously thought he was about to die.

I checked on him just now, this morning, and somehow he's alive. I don't think I'm going to use tree oil on him again though--diluted or not, I don't want to chance him doing that again.

But, I am going back to college between 12-2, so Jean will be back in his normal lighting and conditions again.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with Jean.I dont think it was the tee tree oil but it would be fine if your more comfortable with the witch hazel.I am thinking the seizures are a progression of whatever illness/infection he is dealing with.These things all though apparent on the outside are also going to have affects internally.Any luck on getting another culture?How is he tonight?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh geez, how is your baby doing tonight?
Yes, maybe just hold off on the treatments right now. Just use the lamisil for now. Does that seem to bother him? Are the spots raw?
That is very strange. I have never heard of a reaction to the tea tree oil. It does not take much when you are using it though, just a small dab. If he is having trouble, then definitely do not use it.
I cannot understand what in the world this is. It just appears to be a fungus, but, perhaps it has just gone on too long & is affecting his organs too, as the fungus' tend to do.
Please keep us posted on him. I am sorry he is having such a hard time. :(

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's back home and he has been basking for awhile. I soaked him for a bit in the bath and then gave him some babyfood. He's kinda languished when I hold him, but he keeps his head up while basking. I'll update more tonight.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jean has gotten worse. He's losing weight. And I think I'm going to need to have him euthanized. He threw up babyfood yesterday, his tail is losing mass, and the fat pockets around his head are also disappearing.

What is the proper procedure the vet uses to euthanize beardies?

I'm probably going to try to make an appointment for tuesday.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH I am so sorry Jean is just not getting any better. That is so sad I am very sorry. :cry: I had thought that we were going to be able to help him more. Jean has been through alot & I had thought that maybe he was starting to get a little bit better. Please be sure of your decision so you have no regrets. I understand the pain.
They usually just give a dose of a drug that stops the breathing & the heart, & is normally painless. Sometimes they will use a bit of anesthesia, just so there is no suffering. They either give a straight injection into the bloodstream, or they give it through the pareital eye on top of the head.
Please let us know how things are going & if you need anything.

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I too am sorry that you may have to let Jean go but please do answer Diane's questions also just in case.Dont woory if you do have to put Jean to sleep there wont be any pain and if you want to you can even hold Jean until he passes.Please do let us know what happens.Again I am so sorry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
How is he doing today?
The long tube flourescent light is good. The brand is Reptisun 10, correct?
I am hoping for the best. Keep us posted.

Tracie

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jean passed. He's up in beardie heaven these days I guess getting the big fat tummy he was losing here in this world. While I am very sad, I'm glad he's done with any pain and stuff. It was getting really bad: He was pooping randomly, not eating, throwing up, hiccupping or something everytime he breathed, and his bottom lip/mouth area was peeling away the same way his back feet were.

Thanks for all the help y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom