I'm about to turn out the lights!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grack

diamc":j7p5jt6q said:
Have you checked a fecal for parasites?

No only because she is not getting thin and not passing any food.

It's my understanding that when parasites are the problem they tend to lose weight and have very runny stool.

My dragon is not passing any food unless I soak her in water and it does not look like she is losing any weight at all. That's why I was assuming it was brumation.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Mine had similar behavior at same age. Stopped eating and laid around all day, over time lost some weight but not a lot. Good to rule out everything though, would really advise getting fecal check. Mine had a mild case of pinworms and nasty bout of coccidia. After round of meds she stopped eating completely for 3-4 mos. I gave her baths every other day and fed her babyfood. Never turned the lights out cause she never fully went to sleep, just super lazy wont move all day kind of stuff. In late November she snapped out of it and turned into hormonal hanna for 3 mos, eating like a pig, gaining all her weight back and then some. She was crazy all day, scratching and pacing in her tank. I had to let her out 2-3 times a day so she could run all over the house and get it out of her system. Only in the last 2 weeks or so has she gone back to her lazy self, snoozing and sitting in the same spot all day.

Grack

BeardieGrandma":3loqx3sc said:
Mine had similar behavior at same age. Stopped eating and laid around all day, over time lost some weight but not a lot. Good to rule out everything though, would really advise getting fecal check. Mine had a mild case of pinworms and nasty bout of coccidia. After round of meds she stopped eating completely for 3-4 mos. I gave her baths every other day and fed her babyfood. Never turned the lights out cause she never fully went to sleep, just super lazy wont move all day kind of stuff. In late November she snapped out of it and turned into hormonal hanna for 3 mos, eating like a pig, gaining all her weight back and then some. She was crazy all day, scratching and pacing in her tank. I had to let her out 2-3 times a day so she could run all over the house and get it out of her system. Only in the last 2 weeks or so has she gone back to her lazy self, snoozing and sitting in the same spot all day.

How do they get pinworms and coccidia?

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Beardies may live with low levels of coccidia all the time. It is when the parasite count gets high in their system that it may affect their health and well-being. They can pick up pinworms from crickets. In my case I didnt get her fecal checked until she was a year old (most people recommend you check them when you first get them) She could have picked them up from her siblings when she was a baby as well. Anyway, my plan is to have her fecal checked around end of May, just in case, in the event my beardie is on australia time and thinks she should semi-brumate in the summer (whick is what she did
last year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom