idk if hes in brumation or died

drewandedward

Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
so I have a bearded dragon I got him as a juvenile on December 18th 2021, he was tiny when I got him and he is my first ever bearded dragon besides my ex step brother has one and we use to be best friends, their name was Micky and they were an adult dragon he was pretty big and super chill so that's what I was use to, Edward was super fast and skittish and I barely handled him when he was small besides when I gave him baths, i know that was a mistake.

right now he hasn't ate in a couple days and he's barley moving at all, I first thought he was in brumation but 3 days ago I woke up and I found him upside down with his legs in the air at the bottom on his basking rock, my heart shattered u instantly thought he was gone but I picked him up and he opened his mouth and me and moved into a more comfortable position, he's was breathing and moving slow but he was alive I picked him up and cuddled with him because I thought that was gonna be my last moment with him and I wanted him to know he's loved, like I said I barely ever handle him and when I do he hates it he's very skittish and scared of me but for the past 3 days he's not been moving at all and allowing me to take him out and I just cuddle and cry with him,

he's been breathing okay until today I barley see his stomach moving and when it does its not often maybe once a minute, his eyes don't seem "sucken" to me but they are barley opened, his limbs aren't completely stiff but he also doesn't feel normal.

I am so so worried I can't lose him, I want to take him to the vet but we really don't have the money too, later today I'm going to petco or something and going to try and find antibiotics for him or something idk anything I don't know how to help him, also his beard is black and so is the end of his tail and those both are new, please help I'm very worried, he's all my support I need him

please does anyone know what I should do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so I have a bearded dragon I got him as a juvenile on December 18th 2021, he was tiny when I got him and he is my first ever bearded dragon besides my ex step brother has one and we use to be best friends, their name was Micky and they were an adult dragon he was pretty big and super chill so that's what I was use to, Edward was super fast and skittish and I barely handled him when he was small besides when I gave him baths, i know that was a mistake.

right now he hasn't ate in a couple days and he's barley moving at all, I first thought he was in brumation but 3 days ago I woke up and I found him upside down with his legs in the air at the bottom on his basking rock, my heart shattered u instantly thought he was gone but I picked him up and he opened his mouth and me and moved into a more comfortable position, he's was breathing and moving slow but he was alive I picked him up and cuddled with him because I thought that was gonna be my last moment with him and I wanted him to know he's loved, like I said I barely ever handle him and when I do he hates it he's very skittish and scared of me but for the past 3 days he's not been moving at all and allowing me to take him out and I just cuddle and cry with him,

he's been breathing okay until today I barley see his stomach moving and when it does its not often maybe once a minute, his eyes don't seem "sucken" to me but they are barley opened, his limbs aren't completely stiff but he also doesn't feel normal.

I am so so worried I can't lose him, I want to take him to the vet but we really don't have the money too, later today I'm going to petco or something and going to try and find antibiotics for him or something idk anything I don't know how to help him, also his beard is black and so is the end of his tail and those both are new, please help I'm very worried, he's all my support I need him

please does anyone know what I should do?
What are you using for a UVB a coil or a long tube -- we need to get the lights corrected if this is the issue- basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer -- keep him up right they cannot breath on their backs

drewandedward

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
What are you using for a UVB a coil or a long tube -- we need to get the lights corrected if this is the issue- basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer -- keep him up right they cannot breath on their backs
he has 2 coil lights, one on both side, the thermometer above his basking rock says 80 its usually around that, the brand of the thermometer is hydro thermo it's not a stick on but it's not digital it's like a scale

drewandedward

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
he has 2 coil lights, one on both side, the thermometer above his basking rock says 80 its usually around that, the brand of the thermometer is hydro thermo it's not a stick on but it's not digital it's like a scale
he still hasn't been moving or eating at all but when I touch him sometimes he moves his head and I can see him breathing sometimes, I'm mostly just scared because of how I found him that morning, he's my first bearded dragon or even reptile I don't have any experience with brumation

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
he still hasn't been moving or eating at all but when I touch him sometimes he moves his head and I can see him breathing sometimes, I'm mostly just scared because of how I found him that morning, he's my first bearded dragon or even reptile I don't have any experience with brumation
Please shut the coils off and take him outside for some good UVB -- supervise him do not leave him 30 min or longer direct sunlight depending on how hot it is where you are - you do not want him to over heat -- next get him one of these as soon as you can --
24" Zoo Med for a 40 + gallon tank -- Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you need this one
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one can be found at Pet Smart
24" Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood make sure it has the 12% bulb -
when you get this please post back on here I will help you set it up - the placement depends on the screen on the tank along w/ distance
you want 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps
you also need a digital probe hygrometer

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

My goodness....that is definitely distressing for you both! Has his beard been black at all,
which indicates distress or pain?
Can you post pictures of him along with your tank setup so we can see his body condition &
lighting setup, etc.
As Karrie suggested, UVB lighting is extremely crucial so do try to get your UVB lighting updated.
It is likely that he is suffering from extreme calcium issues, causing neurological problems.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

drewandedward

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
afternoon everybody, I appreciate your help and support so much.

I woke up this morning and got up to take Edward outside for some sun and I found Edward with his body super stiff, I'm assuming he's gone:'( yes his beard is black and so is the end of his tail its been that way since this started :( I'm absolutely broken. what should've I done differently? I know lights and thermometers were an issue but could that really cause this? I fed him everyday, always with calcium unless sometimes I'm not home and my mom does it and maybe she could've forgot some days but that would've been so rare and he had bugs basically everyday, i never really handled him I would just pet him and talk to him and try to play with him sometimes but would me not taking him out cause this either? I feel so absolutely terrible I don't know what to do I can't even get myself to bury him yet, is that even the right thing to do? im really so lost 😞

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
afternoon everybody, I appreciate your help and support so much.

I woke up this morning and got up to take Edward outside for some sun and I found Edward with his body super stiff, I'm assuming he's gone:'( yes his beard is black and so is the end of his tail its been that way since this started :( I'm absolutely broken. what should've I done differently? I know lights and thermometers were an issue but could that really cause this? I fed him everyday, always with calcium unless sometimes I'm not home and my mom does it and maybe she could've forgot some days but that would've been so rare and he had bugs basically everyday, i never really handled him I would just pet him and talk to him and try to play with him sometimes but would me not taking him out cause this either? I feel so absolutely terrible I don't know what to do I can't even get myself to bury him yet, is that even the right thing to do? im really so lost 😞
I am so sorry to hear about Edward- and yes surface basking temps and UVB are crucial to a dragons health and behavior- if it is incorrect they will only survive for so long- taking him outside would of helped until the lighting and temps were correct - those things I mentioned control the health and behavior of the dragon- he was sick from what we dont know --- did you ever post pics of Edward-

drewandedward

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
I have some pictures of Edward posted on my profile, but here's a couple from yesterday

Attachments

• 20220826_104827.jpg
    20220826_104827.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220826_104952.jpg
    20220826_104952.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 88

drewandedward

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Edward scissorhands
the light on the left is a white uvb light, the one in the middle is a basking light it's a warm color- it's usually above the basking rock when the night light isn't, and the smaller light on the right is a night black light I keep that one on during night, I usually do have two of the night lights but the bulb recently went out and I didn't have money to replace it yet. I really had no clue how much the lights meant, I just knew they needed to be warm :( I'm really so sorry

Attachments

• VID_79480419_045220_321.mp4
    742.4 KB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the light on the left is a white uvb light, the one in the middle is a basking light it's a warm color- it's usually above the basking rock when the night light isn't, and the smaller light on the right is a night black light I keep that one on during night, I usually do have two of the night lights but the bulb recently went out and I didn't have money to replace it yet. I really had no clue how much the lights meant, I just knew they needed to be warm :( I'm really so sorry
If one of those domes housed a uvb coil they are inadequate and horrible uvb's- the basking bulb should be a solid clear bright white basking bulb - temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a long tube fixture for a uvb is the best- I don't know what your plans are but if you need help w/ getting set up for another dragon please ask - we can help you

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom