I want Spyro to come with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro09

86131-5565582802.jpg
Hello!
So I have a new beardie and I have never owned a reptile before so stick with me lol... So I have had Spyro for about a month now and she (at least I think she is a girl) is only about 6-8 inches long right now.. I'm wondering how big she should be before I take her with me places. I want to start her young so she doesn't freak out when I take her into public! Also how do I begin this process.. I'm assuming it's a bad idea to just drag her to a pet store one day.. She needs baby steps.. Also if I take her to visit my family for say 6 hours does she need a heat lamp and stuff or can she just chill on my shoulder or in a box while we are there! So many questions.. I just don't want to scare her..
Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ! Spyro is a real cutie pie. :) You might just start with carrying her short distances around the house, but hold her against your chest to keep her safe. Don't perch her on your shoulder, both baby + adult dragons have been badly injured after falling/jumping. It may look cool but it's not safe....just Google it + you'll see plenty of accidents. To take her to visit someone for any length of time she should be bigger and be on a leash or better yet, bring a large plastic tote and a basking light for heat. Sitting in a room that is comfortable [ 72-76F] for us will be too cool for a dragon for more than 45-60 minutes at a time. Plus you never know when they will decide to go poo....right on you, in your car or on furniture.

A gym bag or small animal carrier with newspaper on the bottom will be best for riding in the car. And if you want, I can give you a good guess about her sex if you post a pic of her tail arched up in the air. I know I've been calling Spyro a " her " but it might be a " him". :)

ruben0311

Juvie Member
finding a pet carrier that has a good metal cage is awesome. you can even get a mini dome reflector and get a bulb that'll fit and wire it in place atop the cage so if you do go somewhere you can plug in and have a nice warm enclosure for her. definitely need to start out small though, and getting her use to a harness will work wonders.

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
I started taking my dragon outside around the house first (just out on the balcony, of course on ME at ALL times!). He had a couple scares, cars use to spook him and of course birds. I would just take him back inside and calm him. Now he is not bothered by cars and I walk him around outside where we live. He does good for the most part, if he gets spooked he crouches close to me and takes cover under my neck or arm. (so sweet now how he trusts me).

I took him on his second car ride today. First one was to the vet for a check up when he was about 4 months old. And then today actually, (7.5 months old) I took him to the pet store. He did really good and mainly just held on to my chest/shoulder and looked outside. I live really close to the pet store so after we got what we needed I took him for a little longer drive. (about 20 mins) He did really good the entire time, toward the end he got a little restless and wanted to explore the inside of truck, which I couldn't really allow him today. He would stay in his duffle bag that I brought for him. Luckily we were almost home. I just held him on my chest and he stayed there the rest of the way home.

So small steps first, make sure they can tolerate it well. Your guy is pretty small and may get spooked easily at first like my dragon did.

Best of luck with your new dragon!

Spyro09

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Well I have been bonding with her everyday for an hour or longer! I will sit and watch tv with her on the couch and I walk around the house with her on my chest and n my shoulder! She does great! Really calm and just genuinely interested in her environment! The other day I took her outside when I took the trash out and she seemed a little nervous but overall pretty good! I let her sit on my chest while I do dishes and other things around the house so I would say she is pretty comfortable being out of her cage. I got a plastic storage container yesterday and plan on using that as a carrier for now... Maybe I will get a light stand and use the basking light from her terrarium when I go to visit my fam! Thanks for the great advise!
Will she stay warm enough against my skin when we sit on the couch and watch tv? I have had her out for a few hours before on my days off work and she seems fine but I don't want her to get too cold.. Are there signs that she is getting too cold and uncomfortable that I should watch out for?

New owner-to-be here just amazed that some of you take them outside! We really don't get warm enough here and I suppose the furthest I could take our future beardie is into the kitchen or living room! Best of luck though and enjoy your adventures together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom