I need to fatten MJ up quick... what's the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
MJ has been suffering frm relocation stress and she's lost LOTS of weight. I need to fatten her up QUICK ! I can see her spine ! Although my friends say she looks the same, and it's just me being paranoid. But regardless... I know she hasn't been eating / pooping and she went from eating 3 times a day to now only once a day and not a full meal.
The only thing I know to fatten her up is wax worms but I know they're not too healthy. Any other ideas ???

MBrian

Juvie Member
Butterworms are a good fatty food should'nt be a staple though, Superworms are too and can be used as a staple but should'nt be fed if MJ is under 16 inches. :mrgreen: I would say the Butternut Squash babyfood but I know MJ does'nt eat his babyfood!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MBrian":c51b9 said:
Butterworms are a good fatty food should'nt be a staple though, Superworms are too and can be used as a staple but should'nt be fed if MJ is under 16 inches. :mrgreen: I would say the Butternut Squash babyfood but I know MJ does'nt eat his babyfood!

hehehe you know my MJ well !! I don't think there's any petshops around me that sells butterworms. You know anyplace around your area? I'm going to La Mirada again this weekend so if you know a place, let me know. I'd have to order online but I hate doing that!! I hate the wait lol.. and plus you know I just moved and stuff... so I'm not too comfortable with the package being left outside. I think the last time I measured her she's right at the 16 in mark ! I can get superworms at wal mart. Oh since we're on superworms.. do you know if you can put them in the fridge ? (as you would with meal/wax worms?) I'm still not a big fan of worms so I prefer them fresh out of the fridge when I put it in the food dish, that way they dont move alot lol.

sjsexotics

Hatchling Member
wax worms usually do the trick all my dragons think they are the bestfood in the world and they are super fatty so they should work but I would only feed twice a week and then once a month after the weight is back up

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sjsexotics":4f224 said:
wax worms usually do the trick all my dragons think they are the bestfood in the world and they are super fatty so they should work but I would only feed twice a week and then once a month after the weight is back up

Oh yeah.. MJ LOVES wax worms like candy bars !! I wanted to try something new and somewhat healthy. But I think I'm just gonna stick to that now .. I"ll get some waxies tomorrow :mrgreen:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Rainbow, no the supers need room temperature! Also just be careful how much weight you add on! You don't want to add too much weight on to quick! Then you will have a very unhealthy beardie! And could lead to fatty liver disease! Good luck and just my 2cents! :D

fez09

Extreme Poster
I don't know, I would leave waxies for a treat, maybe 2 a day. Supers will put weight on her pretty quick too and they have more protien! I don't think you can put supers in the fridge, they are great in their bran mix with 1 baby carrot for moisture...

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":c14f1 said:
Rainbow, no the supers need room temperature! Also just be careful how much weight you add on! You don't want to add too much weight on to quick! Then you will have a very unhealthy beardie! And could lead to fatty liver disease! Good luck and just my 2cents! :D

yeah I know.. that's why I'm so worried. Ugh ! Maybe I"ll try posting recent pics of her (to see if she's really underweight lol) ! Although its hard since my cam phone is messed up and my cam just took a crap !!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":c55ed said:
How old is MJ now?

she just turned 5 months on Dec 3. She's only 15.5 inches long :( .. I think she may have slowed down on growing since the move. I dont know how much she weighs .. lost her scale during the move.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Yea, Superworms need to be kept at room tempature altough im not sure now because over here it's as low as 48 degrees! mmmm Butterworms can be put in the fridge and can last up to 3-6 months I believe I dont think you have to worry about the shipping because it's already cold and im sure they'll be fine if thier left outside for a bit just make sure it does'nt get wet because it's raining at least for me. You have to order those online as far as I know but they can last a long time at least and liek they said just dont add on too quick or it could end up bad.

I do know a place right at the corner of my house that sells Superworms it's an exotic pet store too with about 20 beardies, 20ft pythons and monitors, skinks, tegus, uros well just everything! lol You might want to check it out if not for the food maybe the supplies they sell nice wood and alot of cool things it's on Beach. Since Mj is 15 1/2 inches I would say you can probably feed him superworms right now but since he's underweight I would'nt the main thing to be concerned about with Supers is the impaction but if your temps are perfect and he's well hydrated you can get him on the supers but dont do it yet, wait till he's normal again. Just feed him regular food at the moment you dont neccisarly have to feed him fatty foods he should put on weight either way unless he's really bad. My opinion im sure others have something different to say!

macdaddy

maybe you should try a bait shop for butterworms...thats where i get mine trout love them! haha and they're cheaper at the bait shop too

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
But they are not 'clean' from a bait shop. As they are for luring fish in, they dont need to be parasite free. If you buy anything from a bait shop you have to breed it at least 3-4 times to flush any toxins/parasites etc out. Its your choice at the end of the day, but personally i feel if they are not from an approved feeder supplier, its not worth the risk.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MBrian":102dd said:
I do know a place right at the corner of my house that sells Superworms it's an exotic pet store too with about 20 beardies, 20ft pythons and monitors, skinks, tegus, uros well just everything! lol You might want to check it out if not for the food maybe the supplies they sell nice wood and alot of cool things it's on Beach. Since Mj is 15 1/2 inches I would say you can probably feed him superworms right now but since he's underweight I would'nt the main thing to be concerned about with Supers is the impaction but if your temps are perfect and he's well hydrated you can get him on the supers but dont do it yet, wait till he's normal again. Just feed him regular food at the moment you dont neccisarly have to feed him fatty foods he should put on weight either way unless he's really bad. My opinion im sure others have something different to say!

Beach and Imperial ?? i'll go check it out!

Yeah maybe I'll just keep feeding her veggies till I can order some butterworms :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
At 15.5 inches, I don't see what she can't eat supers. Basti was eating them at 14" and never had a problem with digesting, he also put on weight quickly which is good since he was thin when I got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom