I made a post on Craigslist asking about local vets-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
There are two vets in my area that have an exotics vet on staff, but I've never been to either, so I asked about them on CL. Most of the replies I've gotten have been helpful experiences of people with their dragons, turtles or rats about both vets. Then I got this one:

"I dont mean to b rude but really a vet for a bearded dragon listen i bred them for 9 years i will tell u this keep them warm put them on a light cycle feed them lots of vegies lots if crickets while there young. Spray mist them with water every day and hold them alot.1 vet visit will b more then buying a new one keep my email and if u have any questions email me"

Just wow. I'm not going to respond because obviously this person is a lost cause but my goodness. If I try to say anything, he'll probably just throw it back in my face that I've never even owned a Beardie yet. :banghead:

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I feel like I should start a blog about my adventures of preparing for a Beardie. Lol!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
That's really too bad :( I've heard the same thing many times. 'Why don't you just buy a new one?' Or 'Why don't you just trade it?' :angry5: I tell them: Because it's about Forever not For now! I wouldn't respond either, but that's your ace up your sleeve. If anyone questions you, just tell them that you're not gonna be one of those people who gets a pet and then forgets about it. I wish you luck, and yes, my Beardie baby goes to the vet :mrgreen:

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
Every pet should have a qualified vet, whether the pet was $6 or $6000 to buy.

Just because these guys can be easy to take care of, does NOT mean there will never be any issues. It always a good idea to get a wellness exam and to be on record with the vet, in case something should happen.

casper31

Hatchling Member
I'm already asking around and planning financially for my girls one year check in November...lol. But I will say this, I have heard from experienced rep owners that rep vets are not only hard to find, but even harder to find a good one. So far I have two different referrals from people I would say expect the same quality for their families as I do for mine.

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
People are retarded. I would have responded with "So, is that your philosophy with kids too? You can just "make" another one?" My animals whether furry, scaly, or slimey, see a vet and are well cared for. They are my "kids" since I can't actually have kids.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
blarg and boooo on that.
i just recently had little rescue beardie come into my life that reminded JUST how important a simple wellness exam from a good herp vet is for reptiles, b/c alot of ppl dont think of "certain" pets vet-worthy. its a society thing i guess. dogs and cats are the mainstream for vets.
other animals can get left in the dust. but a vet trip too a GOOD exotic vet is really important, you are SO right.

i dont think i would bother with that person ... i know its frustrating!!! i mean you could politely educate them on the importance of a well exam for ANY animal. oh gosh do i know how you feel. i have found that some people could be educated over and over and over and over again, and they will still make their on conclusions in the ends. its unfortunate and sad, i know. its like you WANT to respond but then again you don't ... tough call to make, but you know whats right in your heart.
~Em

I feel like no matter what, someone is always going to say something bad about nothing.
There's a vet that I bring my Persian to. His name is Audi. anywhoo this vet is kind of on the high end, just my parents brought our animals there growing up, so when I got my own pet that’s where I went. Unfortunately I can't bring my beardie there. They don't see those kinds of animals. :(

I mean I wouldn't bring an animal to a hole in the wall kind of vets, but still. Someone is going to always complain and give their 2 cents about something...
Just like I'm giving mine. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom