I know everyone likes the Reptisun 10.0, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshCD

Is this an acceptable light source: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=340

This is what the breeder that sold me the dragon recommended. Said they're expensive but better than using a separate light for heat as well because it more realistically mimics the sun.

I'm using the 160 watt version for my 40g breeder. Anyone have experience with mercury vapor lamps?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Plenty of people on here use MVBs, often with much success, but they haven't been around as long I believe, so most of the experts on this site just haven't had an experience with them. Anyone with a happy and thriving dragon (or dragons) is unlikely to try something new just in case it does more harm than good. But the general consensus is that MVBs are fine!! Caveat is this - it needs to be further away from the basking spot ( I believe 14-16 inches is suggested), and do not use calcium with D3 for dusting while using an MVB as the MVB stimulates vitamin D3 production naturally.

JoshCD

Original Poster
Esther19":yxa3jrey said:
Yes, dust with calcium as usual, but without D3.

Gotcha, not sure if the calcium I was sold has D3 or not.

Edit: Upon further inspection it does have D3 in it. Will it hurt him that I've been dusting his food with this?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Just wanted to add that the PowerSun is a super awesome MVB. (One of the best, if not THE best, from everything I've heard and read).
And it's super hard to overdose on D3 but it's still possible. So maybe next time you're out you can grab some D3-less calcium, but it's not urgent or anything. :)

JoshCD

Original Poster
snazzyglasses":1vc5i6kb said:
Just wanted to add that the PowerSun is a super awesome MVB. (One of the best, if not THE best, from everything I've heard and read).
And it's super hard to overdose on D3 but it's still possible. So maybe next time you're out you can grab some D3-less calcium, but it's not urgent or anything. :)

That's great news! I read so much about the reptisun 10.0 on here that I thought I may have just been getting bad advice from the breeder.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I think the ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tubes are usually recommended because a lot of people on here originally bought the crappy "bearded dragon kits" or whatever that come with a basking light and a UVB light. So instead of telling them to ditch both bulbs, it's easier (and cheaper) if they just replace the UVB light. :)

JoshCD

Original Poster
I have to keep mine a tad bit closer than 14 inches (probably 8-10) to keep the heat up because the viv gets decent airflow from the metal screen lids. Puts his basking spot at around 105f and cool side at 80f.

Does it hurt to have it too close if temps are in range? Should I move the light up some and get an additional bulb for heat, or am I fine?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
You can use a regular, clear or "bright white" household incandescent bulb to add some extra heat/light and save some money :)
I use a 40W household bulb in winter to raise the temps on the cool side of my big guy's viv by about 6 to 10 degrees, and it actually bumped the basking temps up a few degrees as well. (Even though the 8" basking light dome/dimmer and 10" extra-lighting dome fixtures aren't super close to each other). He's in a 40gal breeder also.
So I'm thinking a second fixture with a regular incandescent bulb near-ish to your PowerSun fixture would give you the basking temps you need with the PowerSun at the recommended distance.
Good luck! Getting the right temps can be kind of a pain at first, but those cute little scaley rascals are so worth it :)

jinzilla

I use the 100w Powersun in a small double deep dome with a 65w flood (@80%) that works great in my 40g viv. Like everyone already said, calcium without D3, 5x week, vit/min dusting 2x week. My son received Liz right before Christmas and since then has been flourishing. S/he eats a lot (and the corresponding poops prove it). S/He sometimes goes 2x a day but daily minimum...s/he just went through his/her first shed and looks great.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
JoshCD":3tqsfp9k said:
I have to keep mine a tad bit closer than 14 inches (probably 8-10) to keep the heat up because the viv gets decent airflow from the metal screen lids. Puts his basking spot at around 105f and cool side at 80f.

Does it hurt to have it too close if temps are in range? Should I move the light up some and get an additional bulb for heat, or am I fine?

Powersuns work pretty well, but the reason you stated above is why I stopped using them - it's too difficult to maintain proper temps and still keep the MVB at a safe distance, especially if you have drastically fluctuating ambient temps like I do here in Texas. I ended up switching to a basking/heat bulb plus a Reptisun 10.0 since you can dim a regular bulb, but you can't dim an MVB. 8-10" away is really too close. Even with a screen lid, I wouldn't go any closer than 13-14" away minimum. It's fine to use an MVB with an extra separate bulb for added heat, but if you have to do that then you might as well just use a bulb for heat plus a Reptisun, since the Reptisun is cheaper than the Powersun. You could go ahead and get your last months of use out of your Powersun and then make the switch like I did.

Hope that helps, good luck! :D

JoshCD

Original Poster
I got paranoid and broke out the measuring tape this morning. His basking spot is 14.75 inches from the bulbs position in the ballast so I guess it wasn't as close as I estimated. And his other rock he likes to warm up on is right at 16.

Does this sound safe? His basking spot temps stay between 100-105f

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
JoshCD":1izzolg8 said:
I got paranoid and broke out the measuring tape this morning. His basking spot is 14.75 inches from the bulbs position in the ballast so I guess it wasn't as close as I estimated. And his other rock he likes to warm up on is right at 16.

Does this sound safe? His basking spot temps stay between 100-105f

Yeah that should be fine, especially of it's over a screen lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom