I have a question about owning two dragons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rger

I'm new to bearded dragons, and recently bought two babies. When I asked the clerk at Petsmart what sex they were, I just got shrugs. Should I be worried about possibly having a male and a female, or two males?

F0rger

Original Poster
Oh man...

If they've been together since they were young, would that impact their behavior towards each other?

KatieKat

Juvie Member
If your asking about this to see if they can live together, than they can't. No matter what gender, cohabitation is a no-no. Occasionally people will get a female pair that get along, but still, most will tell you not to house them together. If you get a male and a female and they live together, as he grows his hormones will get going and he will constantly try to mate with her, and that is not what you want. But two males won't likely get along either.

F0rger":2jf7pys7 said:
Oh man...

If they've been together since they were young, would that impact their behavior towards each other?

they will be fine when they're young but as they get older being dominant will be an issue.. i got lucky and i have two females that get along fine, but males get very possessive of their area and it will just be bad for the not dominant one..

F0rger

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I'll be watching them closely and finding out their gender as soon as I can. I hope I don't have to break the bank for another terrarium.

KatieKat

Juvie Member
Don't think that just because they're young they won;t attack each other. Lots of baby dragons have chunks missing from their tails, or loss of toes or even limbs from cohabitation! Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help. Honestly, I know it's more money, but another terrarium is recommended.

F0rger

Original Poster
Well, my problem is I'm a student and the owner of a new car and paying for insurance on my own. Buying a new terrarium is a bit of a last resort. If worst comes to worst I may have to return one.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
KatieKat":1satvk2p said:
Don't think that just because they're young they won;t attack each other. Lots of baby dragons have chunks missing from their tails, or loss of toes or even limbs from cohabitation! Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help. Honestly, I know it's more money, but another terrarium is recommended.

this especially happens when the babies aren't being fed enough. but from what I have learned from Tasty Treat, some beardies are just always hungry :/

check sites like craigslist to find tanks. there are sometimes tanks for free, others fairly cheap. even if it is a smaller tank that is free it's still better for the time being imo.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
Why not just get rid of one of them? If you got them from the same store at the same time they are probably siblings. So... your more likely to have 2 males that will surely fight, or a breedable pair of siblings, than the luck shot of hitting 2 females. And even then there can be problems. I used to be a know it all who had successfully kept 2 together a couple of times. Then I had an encloser with 2 females that never had issues, and I moved a basking spot which gave them something to fight over. Luckily I was standing right there and broke them up. But I keep 1 adult to an encloser now. It sounds like your going to do whatever regardless, but it'd cause you less problems to just see if anyone wants to buy one from you and set up there own thing. Then you'd get a little money back too which is win win.

F0rger

Original Poster
Well, I can tell you that if it's going to cause one or both of my dragons some harm I'm going to fix it. As of now I'm going to either return it, or give one to my sister.

It's just a little sad I may have to give it up. As wrong as I may be I just always thought of them as buddies, and as many of you know it's really easy to get attached to these little guys.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
I hear ya. But it'd also suck to keep them and have one get hurt because of it. Its for the best man(or woman).

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
F0rger":1aw8qwdy said:
Well, I can tell you that if it's going to cause one or both of my dragons some harm I'm going to fix it. As of now I'm going to either return it, or give one to my sister.

It's just a little sad I may have to give it up. As wrong as I may be I just always thought of them as buddies, and as many of you know it's really easy to get attached to these little guys.

i completely understand the reluctance, especially when the sleep together with one 'hugging' the other.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
F0rger":3h7s7fr6 said:
I'm new to bearded dragons, and recently bought two babies. When I asked the clerk at Petsmart what sex they were, I just got shrugs. Should I be worried about possibly having a male and a female, or two males?

Two babies bought at the same time at PetSmart. I would be worried about inbreeding since they are certainly siblings. :eek: :shock: :?

Never keep two beardies together...

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=170853

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=170822

Those are 2 threads started in the same week where bearded dragons that were kept together attacked each other. :shock: :eek:

F0rger

Original Poster
Well, I checked both sexes. Turns out both are female.

I'm less nervous about keeping them together for the time being, so I won't be returning either of them. For now, I'm looking around for a cheap separate viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom