Hi there!

Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to owning a bearded dragon (two days new!). For about three months, I have been prepping and researching all things bearded dragon for my classroom. I am a high school art teacher. I brought my new little beardie to it's new home on Sunday afternoon (12/17). His/her first day of classes went well, and he/she seemed curious but cautious, which seems pretty normal from what I've read.
My students are very excited!

Side note: I'm a little worried as the power went out at school yesterday around 12:30. The backup power will keep the classroom at 70. We still have no power. I will search the forums for info on what to do if the power doesn't come back today. The outages are pretty extensive, so I'm getting nervous. I've lost power at home, too. He didn't eat yesterday, which I know is normal when a beardie gets used to their new home. But I'm worried about him. There is no school today, but I will go in and check on him.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
You must get him to some heat. He won't survive without heat and lighting. You need to take him to your home.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I would not leave him at school for this very reason. Too risky. I have mine in my home and when I travel I move my whole setup to my friend's house in Henderson for her to watch while I am away.

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Thank you, he's doing great and is at my house. Luckily, we were only a day and a half without power. He has been eating quite well and even has been nibbling on some veggies!

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Try some small dubia roaches. I like them much better as they don't bite and hop everywhere and he will love them. I also feed green hornworms for added hydration. I am trying to get mine to eat veggies. It has been a challenge. I order my bugs from dubia.com Where are you located?

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
I'm in Maine. I'm not sure how old he/she is; I think she's about 8 or 9 inches long, snout to the tip of the tail. But it's hard to get an accurate measurement as I'm trying not to handle him yet.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Would love to visit Maine. I am in Las Vegas. She will get more accustomed to you if you handle her some. I rescued mine in August at 19 months old. She had not been handled and never introduced to veggies/greens. It has been a challenge.

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Would love to visit Maine. I am in Las Vegas. She will get more accustomed to you if you handle her some. I rescued mine in August at 19 months old. She had not been handled and never introduced to veggies/greens. It has been a challenge.
I've been a little because of all the moving around we've done this week. But I'm giving them a bit of space to adjust. Do you know if it's normal for a young bearded dragon to not poop every day? I'm wondering if it's safe to feed him more crickets considering he hasn't pooped today. I'm going to try to introduce dubia roaches tomorrow.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Yes. It is normal. Most of the time mine goes every other day. But when she has gone like 5 days, I give her a warm shallow bath. I take a cup and pour the warm water over her body with avoiding her head. I make the water around 85 degrees. She has now gotten used to being in the tub. The only time I bathe her is when she hasn't pooped for a while or she has gotten poop on her feet. I think it is awesome yours is munching on veggies.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I have had to take a crash course in dragon keep as there is so much to learn. And so many opinions. You will get to know your dragon and her/his needs. In the beginning I kept mine too warm. I feel so bad about it but I did not know as I was getting so many opinions. The vet gave me great advice and I just follow it. The main thing to regulate is temp and lighting. I invested in a $200 thermostat and it has been wonderful as it does all the regulating for me. Mine is in brumation and I miss her. We were doing so well getting along and then she went to sleep.

ArtClassBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Awe, brumation is such an interesting thing. I need to read up on that more. I know what you mean about so much information being out there. I researched for three months before I got him, and I still feel a bit overwhelmed. It's good to hear that it's okay he didn't poop today. I will be able to get him on a more normal feeding schedule when I'm home all day, and when he's with me in class all day. I need to make an appointment for his first vet visit. I might try during Christmas break.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Awe, brumation is such an interesting thing. I need to read up on that more. I know what you mean about so much information being out there. I researched for three months before I got him, and I still feel a bit overwhelmed. It's good to hear that it's okay he didn't poop today. I will be able to get him on a more normal feeding schedule when I'm home all day, and when he's with me in class all day. I need to make an appointment for his first vet visit. I might try during Christmas break.
I would hold off on vet -- let him settle in your just going to stress him out more- as long as your surface basking temps are on par along w/ uvb and he's eating pooping basking and active your good

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom