I hate to do it but my own UVB bulb thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmain

Juvie Member
Ok I keep on reading post about the Reptiglo and ReptiSun bulbs and how the ReptiSun 10.0 is the better one and all that but a few questions I have are:

Is the Reptiglo 5.0 bulb can it cause the eye problems and all that or is it the reptiglo coiled bulbs that cause the problems?

Are the problems caused because they are able to get close to the bulb or no?

My tank is a 30 gallon tank (don't remember the measurements but its not as long as 30 gallons usually are its a taller tank. I remember its 18 inches tall and 12 inces wide but don't remember the length I think its 3ft.) My beardie probably can't get any closer then 10 inches from the UVB bulb the 50watt bulb I have is actually about 12 inches away from the beardie here is a picture of my tank to help a little bit.

l_ea72943712144cf9adabe2b8a2ebc6c6.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Reptiglo 5 coil is not really hazardous like the Reptisun 10 coil is but it does not really emit very good UVB.
The Reptiglo 10 coil/compact & flourescent tubes are the ones that have been causing the problems.
However, if you are using the Reptiglo 5 tube bulb, & it is placed 10+ inches away on top of a screen, he is not getting much of any UVB exposure. The Reptiglo 5 is a very very weak UVB source.
So, I highly recommend upgrading & your UVB light to a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb for better UVB exposure for your dragon.

Tracie

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I went ahead and got the Reptisun 10.0 because I got a gift card of 25$ to petland (their bulbs were only $30) so that should be ok but I was still confused on which one people are saying is causing the eye problems and all that. Is that the coil or the tubes?

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yay I'm bringing that to the pet store I bought my reptiglo 5.0 bulb from to try and get them to get give the money to buy something else or something like that but I was just wondering if there was more articles or stuff like that. As long as my beardie is ok then I'm not to worried

I just bought a MegaRay 100w and put it in my rescued dragon and within two days he was up and running around, way nore active than he has ever been in the past two years. This light is well worth the cost financially and for health reasons

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We have now documented 40 individual cases, occurring since September 2006, affecting 16 turtles, 3 tortoises and 21 lizards in the USA and in Europe, affected by ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamps and (more rarely) 5.0 Compact Lamps.

Isn't that saying the Reptisun 10.0 bulbs are bad?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
It is actually the reptiGlo that is the problem... The naming of the Sun was a misprint.
if you really want to know, get a meter, and read both those yourself.
Janie.

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Am I giving him to much uvb? I turn on both my uva and uvb bulb at 6am and turn them both off at 8pm is that to much or no?

Born4spd

Everyone should check out that fella's videos on youtube, very good info.

Ever since i added more basking spots with different lights and improved my Fluorescent lighting, my beardies colors look amazing, and hes eating way more crickets.

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I didn't even see the links I'm sorry thanks for point those out. Also here is my tank if you want to give some input

l_7a6efa62404f4f91aed1f863c3927ab9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom