I got one!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewlkk

It finally happened... I have a beautiful little beardie that I named Ryu.

I set up his/her enclosure just how everyone here says to do. Everything is going great Ryu is eating great and exploring his new home. He loves to climb so I plan to add some more branches for him to have fun. I wanted to know though about putting rocks in there... is it okay to bring some in from outside? We have a reservoir that they are building close to our home and I wanted to go there before they fill it and get a couple of pretty rocks for him to lounge on or climb on. Is that okay???

Other than that things are great! Ryu is so fun to watch and I am totally enjoying him/her! ;)

Julie

Congratz on your new baby. And yes just make sure you wash them then stick them in the oven at about 250 for 30 mins to kill bacteria.

Hello, actually it is way easier to soak the rock in a bucket of water/beach overnight. Then wash it and let it soak in water until the bleach smell is gone. Rocks don't asorb water so it is just basically rinsings it off. The oven is best for wood though. Good luck!!!

SuckerDad

Some rocks will absorb water. They are pourous and as such there is plenty of absorbtion. Not a real worry though just soak them in fresh water after for an extended period. I have seen on here to use 4 to 1 water to bleach for sterilization, You don't need nearly that much. When I worked in Restaurants we put 1 Cap full of bleach into approx 3.5 gallons of water and that was sufficient to sterilize surfaces contaminated with salmonella. That is good enough for me.

Sheena

Scalding hot water be fine honestly. Also you can just leave it out in the sun aswell and that will kill off any bacteria.

If the rock is porous I would use things like bleach just incase there is some residue. Just give it a good scrub down and let it soak in scalding water. Most bacteria can't survive in really hot water. Or you could steam it with a steam cleaner thing too, that will work well.

SuckerDad":34x2cpb1 said:
Some rocks will absorb water. They are pourous and as such there is plenty of absorbtion. Not a real worry though just soak them in fresh water after for an extended period. I have seen on here to use 4 to 1 water to bleach for sterilization, You don't need nearly that much. When I worked in Restaurants we put 1 Cap full of bleach into approx 3.5 gallons of water and that was sufficient to sterilize surfaces contaminated with salmonella. That is good enough for me.

This is what I thought just wasn't 100% sure so I let the more experienced handle it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom