I can’t get the temps right in my 4x2x2 enclosure

GrapingApe

Original Poster
I am new here sorry if I mess anything up. So I have a 120gal dubia. Com enclosure and I cannot get the temps right. I have a 150w reptisun basking light above the basking spot, but the basking spot surface temp only gets into the low 90s. the mesh blocks out most of the heat so I was thinking about cutting a few small holes in the mesh to let in more heat. This would heat the entire tank better, but I also do not want to damage the enclosure. What should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am new here sorry if I mess anything up. So I have a 120gal dubia. Com enclosure and I cannot get the temps right. I have a 150w reptisun basking light above the basking spot, but the basking spot surface temp only gets into the low 90s. the mesh blocks out most of the heat so I was thinking about cutting a few small holes in the mesh to let in more heat. This would heat the entire tank better, but I also do not want to damage the enclosure. What should I do?
How are you getting the surface basking temps-- they should be taken w a digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he basks - if it's low 90's you can add another done and another basking bulb next to it- I have two basking bulbs above as well w/ a 150 watt and a 75 watt next to it- I have a piece of decor that gives gradient heat temps

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
omg i have the same 120 g from dubia and the same 150w reptisun basking bulb and its in the low 90's for me and isk wht to do either

GrapingApe

Original Poster
How are you getting the surface basking temps-- they should be taken w a digital probe thermometer- placed on the spot where he basks - if it's low 90's you can add another done and another basking bulb next to it- I have two basking bulbs above as well w/ a 150 watt and a 75 watt next to it- I have a piece of decor that gives gradient heat temps
I’m using a temp gun to get the surface temp and the temps are not consistent. It’s 100° in one area and 92° in another area in the same basking spot. I have a probe on the basking spot right now and I should get the temp soon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m using a temp gun to get the surface temp and the temps are not consistent. It’s 100° in one area and 92° in another area in the same basking spot. I have a probe on the basking spot right now and I should get the temp soon
ok temp guns can be off so its best your using the digital probe thermometer - I recommend to the both of you that are having these issues to add another dome w/ reflector and set them side by side and see if you cant get your temps raised -- I know farm supply stores sell domes there that have a higher wattage bulb capacity like 250 they must have a reflector in them tho --

GrapingApe

Original Poster
ok temp guns can be off so its best your using the digital probe thermometer - I recommend to the both of you that are having these issues to add another dome w/ reflector and set them side by side and see if you cant get your temps raised -- I know farm supply stores sell domes there that have a higher wattage bulb capacity like 250 they must have a reflector in them tho --
I used a probe and the hottest area on the basking spot only got to 96°. The warm side of my enclosure only gets to 77 and my cool side rests around 73. I might get two of those dimming domes with a 150w and a lower wattage and see if I can make the basking spot hotter and also make the ambient temp warmer in the tank. I’m currently using a dual dome and I might try putting another bulb in there to see if it doesn’t get too hot

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom