HOW TO UVB LIGHT FIXTURE AND HOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
Thank you VERY much Lance for posting this as I have been looking for a way to make a reflector since I was reading this post on how much UVB light escapes when not using a reflector.

By the way does it make a difference between the tape and aluminum foil

smegol

Hi thanks for the info on setting up the hood for the uvb bulb. We are getting ready to order a repti-sun t8 48" bulb online. Our concern that sent us in a tail spin was this bulb contains mercury which we understand that you must have a proper basast and ignitor to operate such a bulb......... any info would would be greatly helpful.

This looks cool and I'm planning to make one. One question though--it looks like your light is sitting directly on top of the tank. I have a hinged screen top that covers my 40 gal. tank. Can the light sit on top of that? would the mesh screen filter the UVB too much?

TIA!

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
smegol":1k8vyg9t said:
Hi thanks for the info on setting up the hood for the uvb bulb. We are getting ready to order a repti-sun t8 48" bulb online. Our concern that sent us in a tail spin was this bulb contains mercury which we understand that you must have a proper basast and ignitor to operate such a bulb......... any info would would be greatly helpful.

All fluorescent bulbs contain a small amount of mercury. Any hardware store should be able to sell you a 48" T8 fluorescent fixture.

ChanaGoanna":1k8vyg9t said:
This looks cool and I'm planning to make one. One question though--it looks like your light is sitting directly on top of the tank. I have a hinged screen top that covers my 40 gal. tank. Can the light sit on top of that? would the mesh screen filter the UVB too much?

TIA!

Depending on the size of the mesh, it is possible for it to filter out too much of the UVB. You may be better off mounting it inside the tank if the screen mesh is too small.

jjh1

Juvie Member
I have something like that two uvb tubes mounted inside my cage with zip ties coming through small holes in the wiring mine is strip lighting that I bought from the pet store so it has rubber on both ends.
Can I use just for now some tin foil to reflect down until I get the tape?
This is great that you posted this
thank you !
Joanne

jjh1

Juvie Member
Oh I have zip ties actually my dad is a mechanic and he constructed something for me so it holds the uvb lights up .
Works excellent and my BD love it nice and bright and they love to bask with that and their heat lamp. Its like the tropics lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom