How to ship dubias in hot weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
I'm downsizing my dubia colony so I'm about to post a very large amount of dubias up here in the For Sale section for a ridiculously good price, as I just want them off my hands. But anyway...

I live in Texas, where temperatures are currently in the high 90's - so I know I'll need to be very careful when shipping them. Can someone very clearly outline for me how exactly to use cold packs when shipping insects? Like how they should be placed and how many to use? Should I also use insulated packaging, double boxing, etc? Pictures would be even better. Thanks guys! :D

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
Double boxed, with ice pack inbetween.

But 90 is nothing for Tropical roaches, they are throwing parties right now.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I've never had trouble shipping dubias in hot weather. Since they are tropical, I never worried and I've never lost an order, or had any DOA.

Do you have any tiny dubias? I need some!

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":1do55atk said:
I've never had trouble shipping dubias in hot weather. Since they are tropical, I never worried and I've never lost an order, or had any DOA.

Do you have any tiny dubias? I need some!

I'll PM you :)

icelore

Juvie Member
I've ordered dubias and had them arrive safely in over 890 degree temps with no issues. 96 and humid was the hottest I've had during a delivery, so you should be ok!

Also, when you post, I'd be interested. I'm looking to buy. :)

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
I am officially fed up with crickets and have just freed up my 20gal tank as well as come into a bit of money! I want to start a colony. Is there any way I could get a sort of dubia starter colony? :p I have food and water crystals. All I need now are the roaches. This thread actually applies to me as I am in Yuma, Arizona.... very dry and 100º+ weather. Ever try shipping in that?

icelore

Juvie Member
ILoveLemmonade":cg6635z4 said:
I am officially fed up with crickets and have just freed up my 20gal tank as well as come into a bit of money! I want to start a colony. Is there any way I could get a sort of dubia starter colony? :p I have food and water crystals. All I need now are the roaches. This thread actually applies to me as I am in Yuma, Arizona.... very dry and 100º+ weather. Ever try shipping in that?
In the For Sale forum section there are a few people that sell starter colonies. :)

icelore

Juvie Member
I don't see why not. They tolerate heat better then crickets at least.

If you wanted to start breeding, it might be better to look into getting a starter colony from a local reptile show, or waiting until slightly cooler weather to have them shipped though. I don't know what their max heat tolerances are. Some places use insulated shipping as well, so that might be something to look into.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
icelore":3tmpqx7o said:
I don't see why not. They tolerate heat better then crickets at least.

If you wanted to start breeding, it might be better to look into getting a starter colony from a local reptile show, or waiting until slightly cooler weather to have them shipped though. I don't know what their max heat tolerances are. Some places use insulated shipping as well, so that might be something to look into.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately my town is pretty small. Not many reptile shows or expos around here. I've tried googling some expos near here but haven't come up with much. I'm looking at theroachguy's starter kits, but they're a bit pricey.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the delay in responding guys. I've been busy sorting through the colony and trying to count everything up. I also ordered some cold packs just to be on the safe side. I posted something in the For Sale section. Here's the link if anyone is interested...

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=195377 f=2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom