How much more filling are hornworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Hey there!

So I just ordered a cup of baby hornworms for my little beardie, and I was wondering since they're a bit more expensive than crickets... just how filling are they? I'm guessing one is worth several crickets, right? I can't see a beardie eating 20 in a sitting like they would with crickets. :study:

jducky18

Hatchling Member
I'd like to know the same thing. My beardie is almost 4 months and 9 inches nose-to-tail-nip, I haven't ordered horn worms yet, but I was hoping to do a cost/benefit analysis on all of the types of feeders (I'm a nerd, and totally okay with it)

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
my baby is about the same as jducky's! i got the worms today and have to wait for them to fatten up, but im sure slim will loooove them :)

lindasgonebuggie

Juvie Member
Hi the equivalent was done according to weight, the really large worms are the equivalent to 36 large crickets by weight and in our oppinion they have much more nutrition then crickets. They are definately higher in natural calcuim. There is a web site called bamboo zoo that has all the break downs for feeders. :D Hope that helps. Thanks, Linda.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Just a quick side note - horn worms grow VERY fast. It's always more cost effective just to buy the smaller horn worms if they're cheaper & just buy extra food to add to the cup when they run out. Some members here even feed large horn worms to smaller dragons by cutting them in half (yeah :puke: I know, but it works). My dragon Lotus is the only beardie on earth who doesn't like horn worms :roll:

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hahaha, how funny! my little Slim seems to like them... im giving him them as they grow to the proper size. the other day he actually refused his crickets after tasting one. :lol:

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I think in my next order I am going to try the baby hornworms, Spyro is about 8-8 1/2 inches (he was too wiggly to be exact :) ) I think he prefers worms because small crickets and dubia don't seem to interest him, and his previous owners only fed him mealworms :roll: . I just ordered repti worms for him this time, even if he doesn't like them, I'm sure my leos will!

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
the babies are TINY! but i like that about them; it took me about 2-3 weeks (my room isnt very warm) but now theyre starting to beef up and theyre becoming the perfect size for my baby. i recommend them!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
My little guy seems so tiny, so I think the babies will be good, even if I have to let them grow a bit.

Dyankey

Hi :) I've been looking everywhere for information about hornworms! haha I just bought a lot of them. I have 6 beardies, and I offered each of them three today. They LOVED them, well except on of them, but I made her eat it anyway haha (she's a rescue I got off of Craigslist) I was just wondering if I could use them as a staple for them, and how many a day I can feed them.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Dyankey":3s3ys6yv said:
Hi :) I've been looking everywhere for information about hornworms! haha I just bought a lot of them. I have 6 beardies, and I offered each of them three today. They LOVED them, well except on of them, but I made her eat it anyway haha (she's a rescue I got off of Craigslist) I was just wondering if I could use them as a staple for them, and how many a day I can feed them.

You can certainly use horn worms as a staple, though they're very expensive staples lol. How many you should feed them per day depends on the age and the appetite of your beardie being that young dragons will eat a lot more live food than grown dragons.

Dyankey

Oh cool! I have 5 adult bearded dragons, one I just rescued off of Craigslist, and she's super skinny. They are all between 1 1/2 and 2. How many do you suggest? They love them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom