How many hours of light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":2vvw87du said:
I've raised beardies for over 20 years....they never need more than 14 hrs. of light. Think about the sun " coming up " at 7 a.m., and " setting " at 9 p.m....that's a long day.

<<< summer here ( 32 South lat) sun up about 5pm , and setting about 9pm , add about 45mins of brightness before sun his the horizon in morning and after it disappears below the horizon in summer , very long days ....

Most lizards are active somewhere between those hours but not necessarily for all of those hours even during the peak of the summer. During the change of seasons , beardies usually sense it and will usually sleep earlier whether the lights stay on all day [ 14 hrs. ] or not. I think it's good to give them the natural break for at least a couple of months during the winter, it's normal for them to have a short period of slow down or a full on brumation. So 14 hrs. would be the max during part of the year, any more than that is wasted light and possibly disrupting a regular sleep pattern IMO. Beardies do well with a period of less light during the winter in general, giving them a chance to sleep a bit if they want.

TWINKLET4

Original Poster
Thank you AHBD, for your input. I'm so confused! Everyone's points are so sound, and valid, and so..different!
I guess it's just a case of reading, and then going with what I feel is right, as I have learned from my experience with birds. Literally everyone's opinion is different- even among vets!
Could I just ask you - AHBD, what exactly your photoperiods are- year round?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know there are long days in Australia, but there are also periods/seasons of much less sunlight, 10-11 hrs. at most. So using the logic that the dragons should have 16 hrs. because that is the peak hrs. of sunlight in summertime then what about the natural photo period of the days with far less sunlight ?

TWINLET, In my area in the U.S the longest days in the summer are just under 15 hrs. which is only for a month or so, then it slowly declines [ and dusk + dawn are not super sunny as we all know ] and the winter is about 9 hrs. of sunlight. If you ask any long time breeder of beardies, I don't think you'll find a single one that recommends more than 13-14 hrs. of light per day. This is in no way being argumentive, just reassuring you that you don't need such excessive light time for your dragons.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I agree with ABHD in regards to day length. Also most setups don't emulate the dusk/dawn cycle. Sure the sky gets light but dawn isn't the same as all the lights on suddenly.

Eventually you will find what works well for you and your situation. For example I match the seasons since I have a big window in the room and it seems Pepper can tell when his lights are not in sync such as when it's dark out and all his lights are on but he is tucked away from the light to sleep.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":34h5so38 said:
I know there are long days in Australia, but there are also periods/seasons of much less sunlight, 10-11 hrs. at most.<<< I know of no where in Australia where a day can be 10 hrs that's inside the natural range of any species of beardied dragon.

At my place the winter solstice sun rise 06:28 sun set 17:21 , so the shortest day here = 17.35-6.47 = 10.88 hrs about as far south as you will find central beardies naturally.
Same day Mt Isa , 11.7hrs is the shortest day.

Summer solstice at Mt Isa longest day is 14.3 hrs . At my place 15.4 hrs on the same day.

16 hours works with my lizards, who are used to it , and take their siestas or go to bed when they want to. They still get cues from the natural light that comes in the kitchen window in the morning (sun shines directly into their tanks) and in the afternoon when the sun shines directly into their tanks as well , especially in winter.

So using the logic that the dragons should have 16 hrs. because that is the peak hrs. of sunlight in summertime then what about the natural photo period of the days with far less sunlight ?

TWINLET, In my area in the U.S the longest days in the summer are just under 15 hrs. which is only for a month or so, then it slowly declines [ and dusk + dawn are not super sunny as we all know ] and the winter is about 9 hrs. of sunlight. If you ask any long time breeder of beardies, I don't think you'll find a single one that recommends more than 13-14 hrs. of light per day. This is in no way being argumentive, just reassuring you that you don't need such excessive light time for your dragons.

14-16 hours light is fine. 12 hours or there abouts or shorter will make them think it's moving into winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom