How Come We Don't Get A lot of Pagona barbata in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Dave- please tell Sharon that she has fans on bd.org! I bookmarked her site so I can send out some hints for my birthday:)

Tracy- I have to agree with you. The barbata looks rather impressive to me too. I think they have very cool markings even if its grey, its very pretty. I searched once on all the different types of beardies, and I don't remember which one it was, but I found pics of all but one type. Do you have pics of them all?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Elaina,

Yes, I think they are extremely impressive. However, they do come in colors as well. You know the red clay in Australia? There are some with those types of colors on them.
You know, you just gave me a great project to do. No, I don't have pictures of all of them, but I should, shouldn't I? :D
They all have something slightly differently about them, for sure.

Tracie

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey, Drache! Thank you for the pics! I love the way these guys look. They are definitely not ugly as some people say. :)

maxattack

Juvie Member
I think they're really pretty. :wink: You know, some people think beardies are ugly too. I love all the spikes and I love normal color beardies too. Ah well, I think it's more about personality for me anyway.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
bearddrag02a.jpg

bearddrag02b.jpg

barbataw.jpg

Eastern_Bearded_Dragon__Pogona_barbata.JPG

There's pics I got off my aussie forum I look on for my snakes.
I don't know how you can like them, if we could export them to America I'd send you them and you can send me your centrals :laughing6:

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Personally, I love the look of the barbatas. I may have to travel to NSW sometime to do a little family history and spend a little time among the barbatas. I like this link with several of the Austrailian agamas, http://www.pbase.com/gehyra/agamids&page=all
This has some barebones info on the barbata habits in NSW, http://www.naturalresources.nsw.gov.au/water/wetlands_facts_lizards.shtml#BeardedDragon Click on the link, pogona barbata, for two great photos. Finally, there is this guy, http://www.flickr.com/photos/wollombi/1514586340/
I love barbatas!

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
I find them strong and captivating.

Dave- As a herp keeper and enthusiast, there is nothing wrong with being intrigued with different species... In my opinion, no animal is truely ugly, especially in their natural habitat.

I would love to own one, along with my three Centrals... especially if one came my way.

kirby

Extreme Poster
Barbata's are longer (26"~) thinner, and have a more elongated, and stretched look. their most common problem in captivity is trying to put weight on them, as they naturally have a very thin looking body. the Vitticeps on the other hand, as we know is a very plump and boxed looking animal, pudgy and covered in fatty deposits. other then shape, scale formation is different between vitticeps and Barbata, the barbata's have horizontal lines across their body and tail. and their pattern is different to the sidebars and markings to our centrals. their colour as commented on before, is very dark, black almost... although, their are some people in australia breeding some remarkable yellow and red forms. which are rare if ever in the wild.

note the horizontal scale formation.
bearddrag02c.jpg

and the slender look and shape.
barbatahead.jpg

notice the lack of thick head, and fat stores.. rather a slender looking eastern. this is common, even in captivity.
1barbatahead.jpg

the hybrid BarbataXVitticeps (german giant) is shamed in Australia, as with ANY hybrid. so we dont see many. although i have spotted one adult male hybrid, and a whole clutch for sale this season already. our licence system isnt prepaired, so i hope they dont palm them off as pure vitticeps or barbatas.

kirby

Extreme Poster
i find it amusing that there are SO many species that look like our little beardies, but you will find they are all from a family of agamas

red headed rock agama, tree agama, mountain dragons, painted, central netted, beardies, jacky dragons, and my favourite (because they are so damn adorable) the clown agamas..

Clown Agamas.
clownagamas.jpg

maxattack

Juvie Member
kirby":f1327 said:
i find it amusing that there are SO many species that look like our little beardies, but you will find they are all from a family of agamas

red headed rock agama, tree agama, mountain dragons, painted, central netted, beardies, jacky dragons, and my favourite (because they are so damn adorable) the clown agamas..

Clown Agamas.
clownagamas.jpg

Ok, I may have to move to Australia to get one of these. They are adorable.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":166f6 said:
Hello,

Yes, the crosses originally done by the Germans thus the german giant morphs were between the vitticeps & the barbatas. If you do a google search the sizes for Barbatas are rather long.

I was recently told this information but I'm curious to know the truth.
That the German Giants were a cross of Mitchelli and Pagona?
I also thought that the longest bearded dragons were the Mitchelli's. :?:
What catagory do the Mitchelli fall into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom