Hornworms got huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
I bought a bunch of hornworms recently from a breeder I have dealt with in the past. They arrived safe, so on and so forth.

I must have been taking pretty good care of them because now some of them are huge. Not just huge but HUGE. As in bigger than my thumb huge.

My beardie is just over two, pushing two and a half, but I really don't want to feed him these gigantic worms. Is there a way to cut them in half or am I just down a bunch of dollars worth of feeders?

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
If he's a full sized adult (not stunted or anything), he'll be able
to handle pretty much any sized hornworm.

Hornworms are very soft bodied and rarely cause any kind of
problem other than being VERY messy when that big.

If you are really worried, you can always cut them up, although
that's even messier. You could also hang on tight (with tweezers)
to one end and kind of make him bite them in half rather than
trying to chew up a full sized one.

Overall though, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Just
watch him while you're feeding to ensure he's chewing them up
good.

You can always cut them in half but just be ready for a pretty big mess! I recently purchased some for my 14 inch Spyro but pretty quickly they grew way too big for him to eat. The first time I tried cutting one in half I used regular scissors and the result was pretty explosive haha. Being the lizard he is, he ate everything that exploded out, gut and all :lol: Since then I use a knife to slice them in his bowl so any mess that's made is already in a spot where he can lick it clean. So if you're not afraid of bug guts go ahead and cut them in half if you're worried, but expect a mess!

dom02

I'm kinda wondering the same thing, I had bought hornworms when my beardie was younger and been thinking about getting some more. He's a year and a half now and about 17inches long. Think he'll be fine with full grown hornworms?

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
I've been wondering the same thing, I have an 18 inch bearded Dragon. Would he be big enough to handle a full grown large hornworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom