hornworm help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloraBelle

Hello,
I ordered some hornworms and received them last week (Weds.)... the place I ordered them from didn't tell me that I should order additional food for them and they are nearly out... is there anything I can feed them until I can get some hornworm chow? What I've read seems o indicate that anything they eat other than the specialty chow will make them toxic to my dragon.
Thank you for any help!
:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Once mine were out of chow, I didn't have more either. I put them in a paper bag (with some newspaper insulation) and put them in the wine fridge at about 45 degrees and they went into a kind of stasis. They lasted a couple more weeks after that.

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Thank you! I was told I could feed then greens until my chow arrives also... But I am cooling them... But no wine cooler so can't get down to 55.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's OK, do what you can as far as cooling. Others who have more experience with them may have more input. I've only had that one batch so far. It taught me to order extra chow - same with silks =)

FloraBelle

Original Poster
I have some chow arriving tomorrow.. the worms seem to be doing okay with the cooler temp and the greens... still alive, but moving slow.
This wouldn't be such a problem if my dragon hadn't decided to practically stop eating! His appetite is so down right now... not losing weight, just not very hungry.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That happens from time to time. Definitely frustrating right after you get a shipment of goodies though =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom