Hibernating questions

Defratos

Beardie name(s)
Drago
So my berded dragon seems to want to hiebrnate, he hasn't been eating over the past few weeks and has been generlly grumpy.

Should I switch of the lights to help him hibernate? because it seems like switching the lights on everyday makes him unsure wether he wants to hibernate or not?

Also should I proivide for him an inclosed stay wherebye he can hibernate? as the only shelter away from the lights is a small hammock?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my berded dragon seems to want to hiebrnate, he hasn't been eating over the past few weeks and has been generlly grumpy.

Should I switch of the lights to help him hibernate? because it seems like switching the lights on everyday makes him unsure wether he wants to hibernate or not?

Also should I proivide for him an inclosed stay wherebye he can hibernate? as the only shelter away from the lights is a small hammock?
He needs a hide-- how old is the dragon? Hes going to brumate whether the lights are on or not -- what are your surface basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please they are ambient temps only - your UVB are you using a coil or a long tube fixture?

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
Hi thak for the reply, my basking temps are 25~27c.

Currently still waiting for my UVB long tube fixture, so currently no UVB light.

Dragon is around 9~11 months I believe. Could someone recommend a good hiding decor fixture that he would be comfertable in?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where are you located, the UK?
How long has he not have a UVB light source?
If he is showing signs of slowing down, etc it's ok to let him go ahead & brumate if he
is maintaining his weight.
Those ceramic medium to large ceramic rounded caves that are sold for reptiles & snakes
are pretty nice. You should be able to find them online or in some pet stores.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Defratos, is it your basking temp. that's 27 C ? If so, that;s much too low, 27C would be the cool side, the hot side should be 38C. How long have you had Drago ?

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
Hi thats odd I thought it should have been anywhere from 25c~28c, thats what I remember the forum memebers told me it should be.

With these basking temps he barley sits directly under the light, and I suspected it was too hot.

I've had the Drago for around 4 months now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He might be super sluggish because of the cool temp. + no uvb. Can you post pics of the set up and of Drago ? For now you can use an upside down shoebox with one end cut out for a hide. You can Google " large reptile cave or hide " to see what different companies might have.

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
Thanks for the reply, will send some pics once I am back in town by next week.

Right now the house maid is looking after him and after we left she told me he doesn't seem to want to eat and was hiding under the basking net, so I figured he's trying to Burmate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, thanks AHBD, I had forgotten to mention temperatures. It is a large possibility it is affecting
him & his behavior. Do post some pictures when you can!

Tracie

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
Hi sorry for the late reply. One correction I need to make My temps are between 33~35c on the basking area, not 27c as I mentioned earlier (I got confused).

Here is the new setup, I didn't want to post the earlier ones because his enclosure was really small and I had to buy one from Amazon USA and have it shipped all the way here (cost me a ton of money) but he seems happier now. He does seem to be more active since setting up this enclosure.

Any recommendations you may have please share:

I am still finalising my build on a basking stone thing I'm building:

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
So he's still wanting to just sleep, doesn't really have an appetite.

He might eat one or two mouthfuls but doesn't seem hungry and general just wants to sleep.

Temp in basking area reaches 39c by the end of the day, usually around 38c.

Should I just leave him to burmate?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So he's still wanting to just sleep, doesn't really have an appetite.

He might eat one or two mouthfuls but doesn't seem hungry and general just wants to sleep.

Temp in basking area reaches 39c by the end of the day, usually around 38c.

Should I just leave him to burmate?
Please take a piece of basking decor and place directly under the UVB 12-15 inches --- please get him a hide how long have you had the UVB? It sounds like its taking too long for the temp to reach what it needs to be at --- what wattage are you using for the basking bulb?

Defratos

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drago
This is the baking bulb I'm using (wattage says 80w in the packaging) : Amazon.co.uk

This the UVB I'm using:

The UVB is around 15inches away at the furthest point, if he climbs the basking decor then he is closer.

I do have a different basking decor now (finished this Can I use this product to cover my foam decor instead of grout? | DIY | Bearded Dragon .org ) and I'm sure the temps gets up to the right levels within a matter of 30~45mins max as I check every morning before going to work.

He hasn't used the new basking decor, maybe he's not aware he can climb the steps to get up to the basking area. I will try and encourage him tomorrow morning by putting him on the basking steps to see if he's going to climb is or decide to go back to his usual hiding area.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is the baking bulb I'm using (wattage says 80w in the packaging) : Amazon.co.uk

This the UVB I'm using:

The UVB is around 15inches away at the furthest point, if he climbs the basking decor then he is closer.

I do have a different basking decor now (finished this Can I use this product to cover my foam decor instead of grout? | DIY | Bearded Dragon .org ) and I'm sure the temps gets up to the right levels within a matter of 30~45mins max as I check every morning before going to work.

He hasn't used the new basking decor, maybe he's not aware he can climb the steps to get up to the basking area. I will try and encourage him tomorrow morning by putting him on the basking steps to see if he's going to climb is or decide to go back to his usual hiding area.
Keep an eye on his weight -- keep him hydrated and let him do his thing- w/ the UVB and the surface basking temps being good I would say hes trying to brumate -- please offer water to him every 2 weeks or so and then get a weight-- weigh in grams on a kitchen food scale and keep track of it

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom