Helping a dragon poop. Am getting worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Hello everybody. I recently took my bearded dragon to the vet for coccidia and was prescribed sulfa/trim to be given for 7 days and then 7 Days of probiotic. Today will be day 7 of the medication but my bearded dragon has not pooped since last Monday, February 1st.
I started giving her a couple baths a day 3 days ago. She has had prune baby food mixed with applesauce and extra virgin olive oil for the past 2 days. I have also been massaging her belly the last few days. I also tried putting her on a vibrating pillow , this was a suggestion from one of the Vets I called.

She has not been eating her greens. She is about 18 months old. She has a reptisun T5 HO UVB bulb. Her cool side ambient temperature is about 77 degrees Fahrenheit, her hotside ambient temperature is about 89 degrees Fahrenheit, mid level. Her basking surface temperatures range from 95 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Her humidity keeps dropping down to 20 percent, I don't seem to be able to keep it up without constant misting.

I called the vet today and she said to give her a bath several times a day, massage her belly, and a drop or two of mineral oil. So I will be running out and getting the mineral oil today. The vet also said that the medication could be causing the constipation and to wait 24 to 48 hours after the medication is finished before worrying, but I can't help worrying about it, so I'm hoping somebody has some suggestions for me.

I also found online that you could use methylcellulose to help a bearded dragons constipation, has anyone tried this? Is it safe?
I also found you could use cisaprid does anybody know if this works? Is it safe?

Does anybody have any other suggestions that I can try?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would be cautious about using cisapride, it may not be the best for reptile use. I have
personally not used it for reptiles but you would have to check with your vet to get his
opinion also.
Is he completed with his sulfa/trim medication round? Many times, it takes awhile for their
system to normalize after rounds of medication because it causes intestinal distress.
You could also use a probiotic for her, such as a non dairy acidophiluz, or a non dairy
organic soy yogurt which can help restore her tummy.
How much is she eating right now? What foods is she eating, are you eating any greens
right now?
Are you keeping her warm overnight, around 75-80, to help boost her immune system &
fight any infection.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, an 18 month old going a week without a poo is nothing at all, they can go much longer. Don't bother with mineral oil, whoever started that was not thinking. It's a petroleum product, not the best for any creature to consume when there are many other things you could use. Get some baby food squash or sweet potato and a drop of veg. oil . A drop or 2 of raw honey can help as well. Three baths a day are also very unnecessary. One bathe , warmer than usual + slightly deeper will do the trick along with the baby foods. :)

Staygold

Original Poster
Drache613":2grv918v said:
Hello,

I would be cautious about using cisapride, it may not be the best for reptile use. I have
personally not used it for reptiles but you would have to check with your vet to get his
opinion also.
Is he completed with his sulfa/trim medication round? Many times, it takes awhile for their
system to normalize after rounds of medication because it causes intestinal distress.
You could also use a probiotic for her, such as a non dairy acidophiluz, or a non dairy
organic soy yogurt which can help restore her tummy.
How much is she eating right now? What foods is she eating, are you eating any greens
right now?
Are you keeping her warm overnight, around 75-80, to help boost her immune system &
fight any infection.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Her last dose of the sulfatrim was yesterday. I am now supposed to do seven days of probiotic, I have Bene BAC powder.
For the past three days I haven't offered her any worms because I was worried she wasn't pooping. Out of those three days the first two she got prune baby food mixed with applesauce and extra virgin olive oil. And since I heard too much prunes can hurt her tummy, yesterday I gave her a watered-down blended mixture of blueberries bananas and watermelon because I heard these could be used as a laxative because they are high in fibre. She has not been eating her greens, I was planning on blending up her greens today with some blueberry and watermelon.
I did not know I was supposed to turn up her nighttime temperatures, I will change her nighttime thermostat today. The probe thermometers are Zoo Med, and the temp gun is the Little Black Zoo Med One.

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":hz2y1q0p said:
Hi there, an 18 month old going a week without a poo is nothing at all, they can go much longer. Don't bother with mineral oil, whoever started that was not thinking. It's a petroleum product, not the best for any creature to consume when there are many other things you could use. Get some baby food squash or sweet potato and a drop of veg. oil . A drop or 2 of raw honey can help as well. Three baths a day are also very unnecessary. One bathe , warmer than usual + slightly deeper will do the trick along with the baby foods. :)
Okay, so I shouldn't be worrying as much as I am? Does that is the one who told me to give her mineral oil. Okay I will fill her back deeper today and try more baby food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom