Help! Tail rot!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had our bearde dragons for about 5 years or so, and shortly after we got them, the female had a black spot on her tail, we had it looked at and vets, BD experts and friends with beardies all said it wasn't tail rot.
It had never changed, it never spread, it darker or changed at all, so we never thought any more about it, just thought of it as part of Zaidia's tail.
Well this morning I woke up and looked at her, and her tail has EVTREAMLY ALL OF A SUDDEN dried up and started to like crumple up and fall off...
I've done some reading and some people say to put her tail in paroxide, and others say that will make it worse!
It's Saturday and I'm not sure if I can get we to a vet!
Also other websites say she will need an amputation, does anyone know how much that will cost?
I know that sounds awful to ask but we just had a baby AND my husbands car just died and needs 2000$ worth of work so we can drive it..
Just an awful hard time with money right now..
Any help would ba fantastic.
Thanks

penelepe

Hatchling Member
I'm no expert, my sister's BD has tail rot, and all we do is put it in Betadine and you should apply Polysporin or Neosporin. A picture should be helpful as well?

Brizlilangel

Original Poster
They are amputating her tail right now :(
The dr. Doesn't seems very concerned about it spreading or being a problem after he amputates it.
We are just waiting for the call to go and pick her up...
I hope everything is ok :(

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
They are amputating her tail right now
I'm sorry I was hoping it wouldn't come to this :(

The dr. Doesn't seems very concerned about it spreading or being a problem after he amputates it.
This however is great news! :D Will she need something for the pain? I hope she is in no discomfort! Love and prayers sending your way!

Brizlilangel

Original Poster
They gave her a little gas to put her under, but as soon as they took her off the gas, she woke up. He said they she didn't need pain meds and that she is fine now :)
She has three stitches that will dissolve them selves. And! We don't even need to separate her from her mate!!! :) that's the best part! :)
It is very sad that this had to happen, but on the bright side, it has been a really easy thing to deal with. The dr says she is probably feeling 100% better already, and won't even miss the bit of tail he took :)
Thanks everyone for all the help and support! :)

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
She is housed with another beardie? Please seperate them. I know the vet said she didn't have to be but she does. Bearded dragons are solitary animals and even if they seem like best buddies now, one day they will turn on each other and it could be much much worse than just losing a bit of tail.

PLEASE seperate them for their health and well being. Do a quick search on this forum and you will find stories and pictures of dragons hurting and even killing each other for no reason at all except they aren't meant to be housed together and a fight isn't if it happens its when.

Brizlilangel

Original Poster
They have been together for 5 years! They hate to be apart!! Lol they are beat friends, they cuddle all the time, and he was crazy all day yesterday because she was away from him.
Every vet and every pet store owner and every bearded dragon friend said that they are fine together, especially after all these years.

RainMaiden

When you post on a public forum it becomes other peoples business. :wink:

Sending healing vibes for your beardie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom