HELP!! New baby 5 weeks old not eating and stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok good glad hes basking under it --- keep offering his food -- I am going to have AHBD address the repti boost
Karrie

Lilliy12

Original Poster
So hasn’t eaten again today. Slept on his log, and has been staying there. I added new pictures. We will feed more repta+boost later. I have his roaches in a little bowl in case the big one was too much for him. Maybe changing it makes it worse, but just in case. The little glass bowl is in the newest picture of the tank. He is under the uvb on the log. It is about 11 inches from the 10-11 inches from the 10.0 T5 uvb reptisun with no screen.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/jV1W2tgATdOrgEwmEyV34Q.MV9-75NLPGADUpzrvE6kPj

Lilliy12

Original Poster
He ate it in his own yesterday and we gave him a little zilla jump start today and he ate it right away. Some runs down his chin, but we have never force fed him, just use a syringe and put it to his lips and he will drink. We added pedialyte clear to the zilla so it wasn’t too thick. We plan to offer the repta+boost later today. It is just hard to know how much to let him drink.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He will stop on his own --- but its good hes eating on his own --- eventually I am hoping he will start eating his roaches --- I want you to get some BSFL here when he starts w/ the roaches -- I want you to use those to get him to his salad bowl -- small super worms too---- some small silk worms but I need to him to start eating his protein first --- since hes not even eating that yet I will post some websites for you when the time is right ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Only use Pedialyte 1-2 X a week, diluted with water at most. It's sugar + salt that your baby is already getting with the Repta boost. Use extra water with any of these products. Keep trying with the insects though. You might try stopping the supplement foods for a couple days and just offer water. That might spark his appetite for live food. BTW, some babies do better starting off in a smaller enclosure like a plastic storage tote with lights rigged on top. Captive babies hatch in tubs like that and are more comfortable and secure in them. Some people claim that the large enclosure is not a problem because they have no space limits in the wild. But that's not a sound argument because none of our beardies are from the wild and are used to a smaller enclosure. This is how I raise a lot of dragons from the egg :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

Lilliy12

Original Poster
Thank you for the info! We will not use the pedialyte again this week. We used it to thin the zilla jump start appetite stimulant. Which is better? Zilla or repta+boost, and how often should you offer it? We will not give either tomorrow and hope that he eats roaches on Monday. Should we move him to a tub now? He has been in the cage since 7/15, and we took out the back foam wall and changed a log out on 7/22. We also removed the screen then and have the reptisun 10.0 T5 on top. Happy to do it if it helps, but don’t want to change if it makes him more stressed. The breeder answered and recommended having my daughter take him out a couple times a day for 5-10 minutes so he gets to know her face- any thoughts on this? Never realized I would be so worried about this little guy! I hope he can get over his stress and start eating!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's worth a try to set him up in a simple plastic tote with 2-3 climbing sticks and see if he'll eat in there. If you do hold him be sure you're close to the ground in case he tries to jump which many babies do. Only supervised sessions, kids can freak out quickly or move suddenly to spook a new baby. And I think the Repta boost has better ingredients.

Lilliy12

Original Poster
He ate from the syringe yesterday, some repashy pot pie. He was still really stressed on his belly. I checked with his breeder and he was raised in a melamine cage, and not a tub, so should I buy a melamine cage and move him? Would that be better for him, or would that move be bad for him as a change. We spent a lot on the cage we have already, but I want him to be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom