[HELP] My cat got inside the enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
The entire reason I decided to get a beardie was because my boyfriend and I wanted a pet, and I have terrible furry-animal allergies. The only dogs I'm not allergic to are ones that have hair instead of fur, like poodles. The ones that don't shed. But I can't imagine ever trying to tell someone they need to get rid of a pet like that... unless it's hurting children and you are unable to control it. The fact is, it's completely within our control to separate animals like cats/dogs and reptiles.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
YoursTruly":37woc9xi said:
The entire reason I decided to get a beardie was because my boyfriend and I wanted a pet, and I have terrible furry-animal allergies. The only dogs I'm not allergic to are ones that have hair instead of fur, like poodles. The ones that don't shed. But I can't imagine ever trying to tell someone they need to get rid of a pet like that... unless it's hurting children and you are unable to control it. The fact is, it's completely within our control to separate animals like cats/dogs and reptiles.

Correct.
Pets can live in harmony under the same roof if you take proper care, precautions, and responsibilities to do so. Some may need to be separated, some may not. The argument about what cats may or may not do reminds me of the whole pitbull debacle here in the states (and elsewhere) which I will not get into, but not everything is as black and white as my cat (couldn't resist) and depends on so many factors.

I am also allergic (and asthmatic) to furry animals but own a cat. As mentioned, she was a literal rescue from the woods, by me, as a feral kitten and after two hours of attempting to catch her, a vet checkup, and teaching her to trust people, I did not have the heart to give her up. I do ok with her as long as I don't press her in my face.. which sometimes happens :lol:

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
traildrifterphalanx":1f0x6s6s said:
I do ok with her as long as I don't press her in my face.. which sometimes happens :lol:

I'm the same way with my sister's rabbit. He is the cutest thing in the world, and so sweet, but he makes me a sneezy and itchy mess. But... he's soooo soft... and he loves kisses...

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Heck!! One of my posts got deleted. I'm done with the topic. I'm not good at typing and it took awhile to compose my response. Time to take a break from the forum. See you all in a few months....

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Rankins":2ehmi1xa said:
Heck!! One of my posts got deleted. I'm done with the topic. I'm not good at typing and it took awhile to compose my response. Time to take a break from the forum. See you all in a few months....

?? One got deleted? As in not by you?
All the posts I saw from you are still there so I'm not too sure what you're referring to, but I'm sorry :(
I've accidentally hit the back button before after a long long response, that's the pits.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Weird It wasn't showing up for some reason, it popped back up once I logged out and then back in. Crisis averted, thank goodness because I like posting.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Rankins":2y2m7olh said:
Weird It wasn't showing up for some reason, it popped back up once I logged out and then back in. Crisis averted, thank goodness because I like posting.

Woohoo! Yay for minor glitches and technology :lol:

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I may have used the back button after I posted it. Well whatever the problem was I'm glad it's posted.

I would like to hear how the OP fixed this situation. Everytime I hear about a dragon being injured or killed by another pet it's so upsetting. But at least this time things worked out fine and the OP didn't have to go through the emotional trauma of dealing with a death.

Ghoul

Original Poster
Updates: Bourbon is fine and back to her sassy self.
We are getting a better stand that fits just underneath her tank, a lock for her tank lid, and a ****ton of tinfoil.
We are not getting rid of our cat.
We are looking into other places to move her tank, but our apartment may be too small for that.

Thank you all for your advice - I was terrified, and right now just mostly relieved Bourbon is okay. I hope you all have lovely days. <3

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Ghoul":1xvn7m3y said:
We are getting a better stand that fits just underneath her tank, a lock for her tank lid, and a sh**** of tinfoil.
We are looking into other places to move her tank, but our apartment may be too small for that.

Thank you all for your advice - I was terrified, and right now just mostly relieved Bourbon is okay. I hope you all have lovely days. <3

Thank you, Ghoul, for the update!
I was hoping the amount of replies you got while away would not deter you from providing us an update.
While in my 4 room apartment (living room, kitchen, bed, bath) I kept my dragon in my living room while I had a cat still as well. As mentioned in a prior response, I blocked her access to the enclosure that was on a small stand by placing a large shelf/board in her path. Depending on your cat, she may eventually lose interest, she may not.

I am so glad to hear Bourbon is safe :D Please keep us updated on her journey

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ghoul":pk81g5jx said:
We are getting a better stand that fits just underneath her tank, a lock for her tank lid, and a ****ton of tinfoil.

Good .... make sure the cat is locked up when Bourbon is out, and I recommend you move Bourbon's enclosure into the bedroom and make sure you are religious about closing the door behind you to keep that cat out (PERMANENTLY).

Despite claims by the cat lovers here , your dragon and the can CAN NEVER EVER BE FRIENDS and there is a large risk this will happen again , next time Bourbon wont be so lucky.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":1p6m9ew8 said:
89300-8774023852.jpg
89300-7717645741.jpg
89300-5792038604.jpg

So ferocious.

and posed .... sorry but I think you are deluding yourself if you think they are friends , and you are only encouraging others to take unnecessary risks by letting their cat be anywhere near their lizards and the lizard is always the one who pays a terrible price.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, I staged my dragons with my cat throughout the years to intentionally misguide others. You saw through my ruse :roll: You have to be kidding me.

I fully understand the concern, and I appreciate it, but stop pretending you know my animals better than I do. I am not under the false impression they are "friends" but they are not a threat to each other or I would never allow them together like this.

All photos posted were free roaming both cats and dragons and I took photos because I thought it was cute/sweet. I have plenty more on my phone, including video, and they interact daily with zero negative results. Yes, I have some staged photos on my phone as well where I put a dragon on my cat's head or on her back while she laid on me. Here's one!
89300-8801507931.jpg

My earlier photos were candid and not staged, and the fact I even have to defend that is insulting. That's an entirely low assumption, as though my life is so sad I need to make up a story about how my cat gets along well with my dragon(s) over the course of years. Years.

Photo 1 - Simon and Yoshi (cat) enjoying a summer night together on the bay window ledge. They both enjoy the window and shared w/o cause for concern. Hanging out? no. Just both enjoying the night.

Photo 2 - Baby Richter and Yoshi on my chest. Was holding Richter and Yoshi joined and gently sniffed his little face. Took a photo.

Photo 3 - Home, cleaning Richter's cage so he was free ranging the couch. He went up to look out the bay window and crawled up over the sleepy cat for a better view. Thought it was cute. Took a photo.

I am not at all trying to suggest everyone here will have the same experience, but I'm proving that they will, quote, "NEVER BE FRIENDS" and that the OP was "lucky" is unnecessary fear you are pushing on others. No where have I claimed they will be friends. My responses have always been those of caution ("My cat gets along with them fine", "depends on the cat" etc.) To tell everyone that their cat will kill immediately and will always end poorly is misguided and biased. I am trying to show the other end of things.

I do remove my dragons when they crawl onto the cat because I know from experience she will likely get up and bolt away and don't want them to fall or go flying. If my cat does not like how she is being touched, she leaves.

Again. Stop pretending you know my animals.
Thank you

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":1cmrxwpg said:
traildrifterphalanx":1cmrxwpg said:
89300-8774023852.jpg
89300-7717645741.jpg
89300-5792038604.jpg

So ferocious.

and posed .... sorry but I think you are deluding yourself if you think they are friends , and you are only encouraging others to take unnecessary risks by letting their cat be anywhere near their lizards and the lizard is always the one who pays a terrible price.

I couldn't agree more
Not that cats aren't sometimes lovable to humans but if you were to turn your back at the wrong time for long enough
... No more dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom