Help Dragon hasnt ate in a week now he jus lays there

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadillac

i have had him for 2 weeks every thing was fine for about a week he would eat crickets like crazy then he jus stopped now he or she wont eat anything i have tried meal worms. greens. baby food every thing i can think of now the big problem is for 2 days she has jus layed there not moving temps are perfect in the cage at least to my notifation 100 f at the basking site and 80 at the other end of the tank... i can pick her and she wont move ... she is still breathing but very little movment.. i have been triyng to get her to drink water sometimes she will take some if igive it to her in a dropper... putting pics on here PLEASE HELP

cadillac

Original Poster
SDC10026.jpg

SDC10025.jpg
SDC10029.jpg

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
How big were the crickets he was eating? If they were bigger than the space between his eyes, he may be impacted.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Try wrapping her in a warm towel or putting her in the warm end of the tank.

You drip a drop or two of olive oil on her nose to see if she will lick it off. This may help her with impaction. When was the last time she pooped?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry your beardie isn't feeling well. :(

I can't quite tell from the pics, which type of UVB lighting are you using? Is it tube, coil, compact, MVB? Also, which brand of UVB??

Also, are you using a digital thermometer with probe to get exact basking temps? For a baby, the basking spot should run more like 105-110, for optimum digestion.

Thank you,
Em

cadillac

Original Poster
its jus a coil blub but its good to like 4 feet its a reptisun 5.0 uvb and uva thanks for the concern i hope i can make her better

LJean

Extreme Poster
There are uvb bulbs that have caused health issues in dragons. The coil bulbs, like you have, are one of them. Turn it off asap, and use just a heat light for now. This may help her perk up a bit.
Keep her hydrated, drip a little water on her nose, or give a warm bath.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
cadillac":24012 said:
repti-glo 10. uvb its that light ok ?????

There are NO coil bulbs that should be used. See this thread with link for more information: [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ] There are many other threads here (you may want to do some of your own research) that deal with the effects of the coils, compacts, and even some tube bulbs that emit low and inconsistent UVB, causing loss of appetite, sleepiness/listlessness, growth issues, etc. In fact, that's why I came to be here... as we were using a compact bulb and had a similiar experience (beardie well on the mend now).

Indeed, as LJean mentioned, you will need to turn off the bulb, ASAP. You will want to purchase a new UVB, ASAP. The best tube lighting is a ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE best price here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...bs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html. In the meantime, use just the basking bulb.

When was the last time your dragon pooped, and also, what are you using to gauge temps?

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, wanted to mention also (I can't tell by the pic), if you have a tank that is 40 gallons or larger, you can opt to go with a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb), which is UVA/UVB/HEAT/D3 all in one bulb. If you would like more information on the MVB, I'd be happy to share what I know.

Another question, are you dusting live feeders with calcium (5x per week) and vites (1-2x per week)? And, just a warning, do avoid meal worms, their shell is an impaction risk, and well, they just don't provide the nutrition that beardie needs. Although, from the sounds of your post, she rejected them, yes? Just as well then.

Thanks,
Em

cadillac

Original Poster
i just bought what the pet store told me to get i have a 55 gallon tank i have no tube fixture so i cant get one of those bulbs yea i have been dusting them but like i said she hasnt ate in a week and i have only had it for 2 weeks how much are those mercurey vapor blubs and will it be ok till i can order one off the net

And for the temps i am using a reuglar stick on thermometer and a digtal inferred and i think it has still been using the bathroom
temps at basking are from 100c to 106c other side of tank is 80 to 85

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
What are the temps in the tank?
What are you taking the temps with?
Try a warm bath, keeping her head above the water for about 15 mins. dont let the water get cold. lukewarm water around 90 degrees

at this point you may want to think about feeder her with an eyedropper or needleless syringe. you can feed her squash baby food to keep her alive til you get the temps/uv lights sorted out. put some on the tip of her nose and see if she licks it off. if she dosnt then you want to gently try and open her mouth and drop some in from the SIDE of her mouth. dont drop it in from the front beucase she may breath it in.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom