Help determining age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Howdy!! :mrgreen:

This is my new lil princess, Sakura..

So the guy at the pet store was pretty good at taking care of her while she was there. I know he didn't feed her a lot. The night I picked her up he told me that he fed her 5-10 crix a day, every other day, and leafy greens everyday. I was NOT aware of that prior to purchasing her. :shock:
Otherwise, I know her UVB was good, tank temps were good, greens and crix were dusted with calcium and vit's, and she seemed very healthy and attentive everytime I went to visit her.
She's a healthy eater now, I'm giving her as many crix as she'll eat and a variety of greens every day. She eats her greens and crix, and she poops well.

My question is: I was told she's about 6 months old. Given the picture above, it's hard to tell how small she is but I'm saying she's about 5-6 inches from nose to tail.
You can kinda get an idea of her size if you look at the temperature probe in the picture, that's about 3/4 of an inch long.

What do you all think, can you estimate how old she is? I'm torn, I just do not think she's 6 months old. I know if she wasn't fed well it would keep her size down, but I'm just not sure.
Please let me know what you think..

Thanks!! :lol:

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Personally I think she's closer to 6 weeks than 6 months. She looks smaller than my 3 month old.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Given the fact that she was not fed correctly, im going to say there is a good chance that she is about 3-5 months old! Iv seen 12 week old beardies in pet stores around here that are no more than 4 inches long. In fact I know of one which is 15 months old and only 9 inches long!
I am, however, more inclined to say that she is somewhere between 6-12 weeks old!

She is an absolute cutie tho - that is such a sweet little face!!

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you SO much!!
I was really feeling like she was much younger than 6 months. So obviously, I have no idea at this point if she is male or female. I tried sexing her but it was so hard to tell. I suppose I'll know when she gets older/bigger and find a more appropriate name for her (him) then. My gut tells me she's female though. I know that doesn't mean anything and I certainly don't know everything about beardies, but my gut is usually pretty accurate about most things.. LOL :mrgreen:

Ok so, this part of my "tale" isn't really appropriate for the "health" section....but given that she could potentially be WEEKS old instead of MONTHS...is there anything specific I need to know in terms of caring for her?
I was assuming she was months old and read as much as I could about juvies and whatnot, but I'm afraid now that if she's so young I might be doing things wrong. :cry:

I've posted a few times about her viv and what I have purchased...and everyone that replied either felt I was on the right track or had excellent advice to help me perfect everything...but I just want to double check and see what everyone can suggest.

Thanks again!!! Sakura thanks you too!! :mrgreen:

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
She will need more frequent calcium and vitamins assuming you weren't giving them to her really often. Other than that just make sure she's very hydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom