HELP! Anyone know what type of spider this is?-PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi,
I found it in with my order of crickets. The pics are a little blurry...sorry, but I hate spiders so I had my boyfriend put it in that cup (w/ a lid) until we figured out what it was (I was screaming for him to come catch it lol). Anyways...I don't think it's a brown reclus (sp?) but I don't know if it's safe to feed the crickets to Taz & Kaira that in came with (NOT the spider, the crickets).
It's bigger than a quarter (including legs) :puke: & you can obviously see it's an "interesting" looking spider....HELP. I want to kill it NOW.
Thanks,
Abi
73b677ea-1.jpg

7ed59239.jpg

55895b02.jpg

496625b9.jpg

de761b8c.jpg

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
It's very similar to a brown recluse, but I would hate to say for sure. Where did you order your crix? I would contact them for more information, just in case. They will likely be able to identify it since it hangs around their neck of the woods! Yikes, though. I will have horrible nightmares now.. Spiders freak me out bad. And it didn't help that I was googling around for brown recluses!!!

btw, kill the damn thing, just in case.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":73283 said:
It's very similar to a brown recluse, but I would hate to say for sure. Where did you order your crix? I would contact them for more information, just in case. They will likely be able to identify it since it hangs around their neck of the woods! Yikes, though. I will have horrible nightmares now.. Spiders freak me out bad. And it didn't help that I was googling around for brown recluses!!!

btw, kill the damn thing, just in case.
That was my first thought too.. I posted before about the beetle thing I found, but couldn't get a picture of because it was too small. Guess what? I found a "wooly worm"/carpet/whatever beetle stuck to a piece of tape...so that's what that was...I think we have them all over our house now :banghead:
They're from Premium...never ordering there again. This was the "last chance" I was giving them and they send me that thing.
I'm going to search the internet too...I still have baths to give which are now a little late due to this darn thing. I'm going to be ****** :angry5: if it's a brown reclus.
Thanks for looking...I'll be "feeling" things crawling up my legs all night now :banghead:
Oh, it can't get out of what I have it in...it's way too big. Plus, I'm not opening that plastic cup :shock: & Lucas went to bed...he can kill it tomorrow.
UGH
Thanks,
Abi

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
*Shiver*
I order from them. I have never gotten anything but crix. Yikes!!! I like lllreptile, anyways. Since I ordered my pws from pw.com this time, I think I'll give their crix a chance instead of premium again. Premium is so much closer, but I will FREAK if I get something like that with my crix. I would freak even more if I got bit.

Sleep well tonight!!
I am a knitter, with a huge stash of Wool, and if I was to get any unwelcomed insects that eat my wool, we would have a serious, serious problem.
btw, I don't advocate killing all spiders, if they can be shooed away, but that I would kill. I don't know what part of the country you are in, but that guy likely doesn't belong there.

ll0o0ll

It does not look like a brown recluse to me. Brown recluses have patternless abdomens. The markings on your spiders head are black where a brown recluses are brown. What you have looks like a type of wolf spider. Wolf spider bites are harmless with at worst a little pain and swelling in the bitten area. I still wouldnt go holding it though, just in case. Kill it if you must but their main food source are flys, which to me are much more of a pest then spiders.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I am 99.9% sure that is a wolf spider.I live in Florida and see them all the time. It is definitly not a brown recluse, we have those also.The recluse has a small shape on it's back that resembles a violin or fiddle.The wolf spiders are pretty harmless.Ugly,but for the most part harmless. I can't say all of them are. I do know the ones I see are, but there are actually many,many different kinds.You probably wouldn't be too surprised if I told you that they also feed on crickets.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":68c0c said:
I am 99.9% sure that is a wolf spider.I live in Florida and see them all the time. It is definitly not a brown recluse, we have those also.The recluse has a small shape on it's back that resembles a violin or fiddle.The wolf spiders are pretty harmless.Ugly,but for the most part harmless. I can't say all of them are. I do know the ones I see are, but there are actually many,many different kinds.You probably wouldn't be too surprised if I told you that they also feed on crickets.

Yeah it is. One found commonly around where Premium Crickets is too :silent: . I spent hours looking at pics of nasty spiders. And, yup, it said they like crickets lol. I'm switching suppliers. :angry5:
Thanks for replying everybody! :D
Abi

chels1983

You say its your last chance with premium crickets? What happened before? I order from them all the time because I am in Georgia, and usually my shipment is there the next day. I have had (mostly) good experience with them, although I did get a weird bug in with an order one time. Also, I think I saw another post about someone's crickets having mites.

That is disturbing, I would FREAK if I got that spider in my order. I see them all the time here, but opening a box of crickets and having one inside is totally different.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
chels1983":a5697 said:
You say its your last chance with premium crickets? What happened before? I order from them all the time because I am in Georgia, and usually my shipment is there the next day. I have had (mostly) good experience with them, although I did get a weird bug in with an order one time. Also, I think I saw another post about someone's crickets having mites.

That is disturbing, I would FREAK if I got that spider in my order. I see them all the time here, but opening a box of crickets and having one inside is totally different.

Yeah...I'm never ordering from them again. I understand that bugs get in there and it is not always their fault, but my last 3 or 4 orders have been incorrect and/or had other bugs in them.
Here's the link to the other post about the beetles:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=93072&hilit=
I stopped opening the "cans" of crickets because I was so disgusted and freaked out by the beetle, but later opened the rest and found more beetles and some kind of fly (I believe, I searched everywhere and there was one fly that looked like these things, they were all over, and fit the "habitat").
Do a search for "carpet beetle" or "fuzzy worm beetle" and check out the pics. You'll see what looks like a yellow & bluish ladybug. I was so convinced those things weren't beetles, but a few days ago I found one. :| I can try to get a pic of it...yes I kept it. It's dead now lol. But I've ordered PWs from them and more than half of them arrived black, not to mention that when they packed them they didn't tighten the lids, so the box was full of PWs that had gotten loose (plus the one that was completely opened :angry5: ). I've had another spider in an order, not anything like this one, much smaller. I paid for the crickets in the can one time (2 now) and they sent them in a box (without letting me know they were going to). So...I won't order from them again lol.
LOL, I did freak out. I was screaming for my boyfriend to come get the spider lol. The first picture is the one that I took while trying to get Lucas to catch it. Nice to see a spider crawling up a "kritter keeper" thing :puke: . Don't you love its "face" too? That's what creeps me out the most.
Someone had mites in theirs? Do you have the link?
Abi

patrickb

Juvie Member
It is definitely not a brown recluse. It's either a wolf spider or a grass spider. Nothing dangerous at all, and actually very fun pets if you can stand spiders. And by the looks of it, that is one very well fed spider. They are very voracious predators/hunters and eat like no tomorrow, but judging by the size of the abdomen I would say it was there before the crickets were shipped. You can find those things out in your backyard if you go looking. They are quite harmless and are good to have around for controlling insect populations. I find one or two every year in my cricket bins that are kept outside and they destroy my populations if I don't remove them. Either way, the crickets are still safe to feed to your beardie and I would not worry very much about it.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
amalsg07":0bb5f said:
They're from Premium...never ordering there again.

I was going to try lllreptile this week, but their cut off for the holiday was friday.. premium is still taking orders til Monday, so it's premium again this week.. Oh well, at least they carry small amount of worms.. gonna give waxies a try since Blazey has been so good! Who on earth needs 250-1000 wax worms anyways?? I'll go with 35!

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
gulfbrzdawn":9f4b8 said:

I dont think it's a wolf spider....they're more flat and grey....

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":262ef said:
amalsg07":262ef said:
They're from Premium...never ordering there again.

I was going to try lllreptile this week, but their cut off for the holiday was friday.. premium is still taking orders til Monday, so it's premium again this week.. Oh well, at least they carry small amount of worms.. gonna give waxies a try since Blazey has been so good! Who on earth needs 250-1000 wax worms anyways?? I'll go with 35!
LOL I guess someone who was either really needs to fatten up their beardie, has a lot of beardies, or has a lot of gravid beardies...but still...even 250 sounds ridiculous! They have sooo much fat in them, it makes me nervous. I've only allowed Kaira and Taz to eat wax worms once & that was because we were out of crickets and almost out of PWs. Even then I only let Kaira have 3 and Taz 1. I might have to get some though, because our crickets won't be here until Tuesday, I just really worry about too many wax worms...then again Taz needs to catch up "width-wise" with his sudden growth spurt (we just measured him and he's over 17" and will be 5 months old on the 25th :shock: ). Our pet stores around here only sell wax worms by 50 packs :? ...so we'd be throwing away most of them (well actually the pet store kills half of them anyways by keeping them in the fridge). We're trying Armstrong...we'll see how it goes. I think we may have to resort to pet store crickets for the next few days, though. I hate that, but Taz is growing so fast & eating so much. I guess if Armstrong doesn't work out we'll try lllreptile. And we're going to breed our own now too. This is ridiculous. Plus, we're getting Kaira hornworms because she's being a brat and won't eat the smaller crickets because she has to use so much energy (she's getting lazy) to catch how many it would take to fill her up :roll: ..Taz doesn't mind lol.
haleygirl272":262ef said:
gulfbrzdawn":262ef said:

I dont think it's a wolf spider....they're more flat and grey....
The ones around here (we're in Kansas) are more flat and darker, in my experience (dark brown/black & HUGE like the one I found when I was moving :shock: ) , but not the ones around where premium is located...this spider is actually "a typical" wolf spider found near premium's location from what I've seen online. I found what looks very much like this spider, I believe it's a "white" or "grey" wolf spider...I saved the link under my favorites somewhere lol...if you want to see it and compare (another opinion on it would be nice lol). But from everyone I've talked to & with every spider (ick) I've looked at online, I do believe it's a wolf spider. Or another suggestion was a "hobo" spider. Either way, at least it's not a brown recluse. It couldn't have gotten into a wintered-packaged box through shipping (overnight BTW :banghead: ...I've lost more money buying from them than anywhere else)...so it was brought to us from premium. Like someone else said, it was there before the crickets were shipped.

OH and it died :twisted: LOL
Thanks everyone,
Abi

patrickb

Juvie Member
It definitely isn't a hobo spider either. They are native only to the Northwest US and Canada mainly. If one was found in GA that would be some news to hear. The photos aren't clear enough to pinpoint the species. Eye pattern is very important here which isn't very clear. Also, with the wolf spiders and grass/funnel web spiders color variations are very common especially across regions. Detail photos are necessary for pinpointing the species. But as far as the family, it is good enough to narrow down to the above mentioned ones. Lycosidae (Wolf Spiders) or Agelenopsis (Grass Spiders), possibly even Agelenidae (Funnel-Web Spiders) which are a higher family of Grass Spiders.

Checkout http://bugguide.net You can browse the online database there and even post those pictures and let members there take a crack at pinpointing the species for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom