Help! 6mo. Old female struggling to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLahey17

Hi there,
My beardie just went to the vet 2 weeks ago and in her stool sample they found the trichonomad worms. She received antibiotics for three days in a row and then again two weeks later. She hasn't eaten in three days, yesterday being the last day of her antibiotics. She hasn't been moving much and hasn't had any interest in moving around. I've read up on the blogs the past few days and as of yesterday, I've been spending 10 minutes each morning and night dripping water on her nose and into her mouth. She does have a slow dripper in her tank and gets a bath twice a week. She gets plenty uvb and has 3 different platforms (varying in temperature) for her to bask in. She gets crickets, worms (super, wax, calci worms, and mealworms [on occassion]). We shake in crickets in calcium coating and feed the crickets the orange cricket food that has calcium boost in it. She usually eats plenty of Mustard greens, Collard greens, and sometimes romaine. She usually loves mangos but has been refusing to eat it as well.

As for tonight, I pulled her out of her cage and we snuggled for awhile until I decided to give her a bath. She struggled to get out and didn't drink like she sometimes does. As she jumped out, she limped along the floor and this is when it became apparent to me that she is having muslce pain or weakness.

Any suggestion/advice is greatly appreciated. We love her so much and hate seeing her in pain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your girl is having some trouble! How old is she?
Can you review your tank setup with us, just so we can be sure everything is all correct.
Which antibiotic did she receive? Was she acting like this before the meds or not?
Is she eating her insects but just not her greens?
I would try giving some probiotics just to help out her tummy since she has been on meds
for a bit. If she seems a little unsteady on her feet, it's possible she could be somewhat
dehydrated also.
How often do you give calcium for her?
Could she have fallen previously?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl .... she's had a rough trot.

I wish I had a $ for every time someone said they had the UV and temperatures right ....LOL , more often than not when we review their setup we soon spot problems and tweeks required , usually the noobs genuinely believe they have everything set up right based on very poor advise by petshop staff and even by other keepers and breeders.

That said, I think it'll be a good idea to print out my cheatsheet and work methodically through this and you'll likely find problems will pop out at you , usually it's a very easy fix or tweek.
Cheatsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LadyLahey17":2k79mkul said:
Hi there,
My beardie just went to the vet 2 weeks ago and in her stool sample they found the trichonomad worms. She received antibiotics for three days in a row and then again two weeks later. She hasn't eaten in three days, yesterday being the last day of her antibiotics. She hasn't been moving much and hasn't had any interest in moving around. I've read up on the blogs the past few days and as of yesterday, I've been spending 10 minutes each morning and night dripping water on her nose and into her mouth. She does have a slow dripper in her tank and gets a bath twice a week. She gets plenty uvb and has 3 different platforms (varying in temperature) for her to bask in. She gets crickets, worms (super, wax, calci worms, and mealworms [on occassion]).
<<< I suggest cutting the superworms if they are staples for her, she's way too young to eat them and mealworms BECAUSE of their very hard to digest exoskeletons, I'd wait til she's about 12 months old to offer the two species as treats).

We shake in crickets in calcium coating and feed the crickets the orange cricket food that has calcium boost in it. She usually eats plenty of Mustard greens, Collard greens, and sometimes romaine. She usually loves mangos but has been refusing to eat it as well.

As for tonight, I pulled her out of her cage and we snuggled for awhile until I decided to give her a bath. She struggled to get out and didn't drink like she sometimes does. As she jumped out, she limped along the floor and this is when it became apparent to me that she is having muslce pain or weakness.

Any suggestion/advice is greatly appreciated. We love her so much and hate seeing her in pain.

Photos of her and the viv (showing the substrate and lights and layout) will be very useful.

I suspect perhaps the issue of lameness is likely related to her diet ( impaction caused by the feeders and maybe viv temperatures being too low for her to properly digest the insects , especially insects who have very hard to digest exoskeletons.
Can you feel any hard lumps in her tummy ? If you can I think it's worth telling the treating vet about this and requesting xrays to assess the extent of the impaction.

Also , what is the substrate you have in her viv (EXACTLY). Particulate substrates are frequently the cause of impactions and can be lethal if ingested accidentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom