Heisenberg the dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, my name is Robinlynne I am a new mom to a bd named Heisenberg (we are big fans of breaking bad, RIP Walter White) my husband has always wanted a reptile but, I didn't so I would ignore him whenever he would bring it up.I finally gave in and agreed to get one.we did some research and decided to get A bearded dragon. I did a lot of online research and thought I knew how to take care of him. So on sept. 26th we brought Heisenberg home.

after getting him I found out we were doing some things wrong (mainly the lighting) we will rectify these problems immediately. I'd like to describe his set up n care so if I am doing anything else wrong someone can let me know. even though I didn't want him now he has a big spot in my heart and, I want to give him the best care that I can. also as a proud new mom I want to brag about my baby boy. I have pictures but don't know how to post them yet.

He is housed in a 36x18x18 terrarium. For substrate I'm using reptile carpet. he has a cave to hide in, a large branch under a basking bulb and, two vines to climb on. the cool side is about 89, the warm side about 97 and the basking area is around 115. The humidity is between 20 - 27%

The lighting is the area I made some mistakes with but, I am going to rectify the problems later this week. the lights are all on timers in attempt to replicate dawn, morning, noon, dusk and, night. I have two 125 watt MVB mounted about 9-10" above the tank. On each side of the tank I have a 75 watt basking bulb and red nocturnal bulb. Both set is about 4" above the tank. Above the front of the tank is a hood that holds four compact fluorescent 13 watt bulbs. I am going to exchange the hood for two 24" repti sun 10.0 tubes. I will also replace the red nocturnal bulbs with ceramic heating bulbs. I will replace all bulbs in 6 months.

From this site I have learned that the UVB bulbs should be mounted inside the tank, not above the screen. Personally I don't want to do this , mainly for aesthetics. However I think that with the two MVB and two UVB tubes that more than enough UVB and UVA is penetrating through the screen.

We got him from petsmart on Sept. 26th. He is now 13" long and is 130g (4.5oz) so we guess he is around 4 months old.

He gets a 15-20 min. Soak in the sink every day. Some times he will swim around but usually he just sits there or tries to get out. He is basically potty trained and will poop in the sink. However, if bath time is late he will go in his cage.

Heisenberg loves to cuddle with me every night. I wrap him in his blankie and snuggle him im my arm for 2-3 hours while I watch tv. He will bury his nose in his blankie and falls into a deep sleep. he sleeps so soundly that I can get up with him in my arms to get a drink or snack and he doesn't wake up. I put him back in his cage still swaddled in his blankie and he will sleep like that all night.

I didn't want him but now we have bonded and he has become part of our family. We don't have kids so, our pets are our children. He has 6 siblings; a dog, 2 cats and, 3 goldfish. All are very pampered and spoiled. When Heisenberg runs away from my husband and comes to me I tease my husband and say "Not the mama!". It's a line a baby dinosaur would say in a cartoon from the eighties.

As far as feeding goes he gets about 10-15 crickets a day that I dust with a calcium d3 powder. He mostly eats worms, about 7 a day that I spray with a multi vitamin. I breed my own silkworms, he also eats hornworms amd butterworms. I do not give him mealworms because they have an exoskeleton. I was giving him a freeze dried mix of mealworms crickets and grasshoppers about once a week that he would devour in no time at all. But the last time I gave it to him he didn't poop for 4 days, he usually poops once a day. I started to give him canned pumpkin and he finally had a bowel movement. I don't give him that mix anymore.

I now give him canned pumpkin every morning. He LOVES it, when he sees the container I keep it in he runs over to get it. I feed it to him on a spoon because if I put it in a bowl he makes a huge mess. He trusts me so much that he lets me wipe his face with a napkin. He also gets a salad every day that he picks at and, fruit occasionally. He loves banana but I know to only give it to him now and then. I also give him a moist food that is made by nature zone called baby bites.

Sorry this is so long and, I hope I haven't put too many people to sleep. I'm excited to meet many of you and I have enjoyed reading posts other people have posted. I look forward to read replies to my post.I'm happy to have found a place to talk about my new favorite subject; my sweet baby boy Heisenberg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
My dragons drink up a slurry I make, and they will take much more of it than they will plain water. I just put collards in the blender with some water and whir them up. Then I strain the mixture so it will fit in a syringe. For my girl, I also add beardie bites since she won't eat solids much. You could add any other greens you have on hand. They really like it. So glad to hear the good news!

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Excellent news! You both fought so hard and it is quite a victory to celebrate! Tell me if the wiggle bowl helps... Rocky could use a little encouragement too for drinking on his own.

So glad Heisenberg is getting better! That will help you both get some much needed rest now.

Cheers!

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He was outside in his reptarium for 4 hours or so today. Then I tried some more fruit. I was able to get him to eat a small chunk of apricot, half of a grape and half of a blueberry. He ate a couple bits of his salad which I sprayed with water. I'm not going to give him any worms tonight so he will be hungry tomorrow and will hopefully eat some more juicy things. I will try some strawberry and the grape again, he seemed the most interested in the grape. Tonight when he gets his bath I will use a syringe to drip some water on his nose see if he will drink some that way.
I can syringe feed him the water like ive been doing for the last 6 weeks but I want to get away from that. I will get the vibrating bowl latter in the week, hopefully that will work.

Thanks everyone for your support. It's been a long six weeks and many times I didn't think he was going to get better. I was very relieved at the vets when he ran down all the things that were better. The next blood test is scheduled for August 20th, hopefully things will improve even more.

Thanks for the idea of making a slurry Ester and welcome to Heisenberg's thread. Its nice to have a new person posting on it. I think a lot of people read the thread because it has a ton of views but only a few regulars leave posts. I suggest you read from page 2 on, a lot of it is very funny if I do say so myself. :lol:

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We had a lot of running around to do today. Before we left I put bites and a new moist food that National Geographic makes called juvenile bearded dragon entrée it looks like peas. So far he isn't impressed with it, when I got home he hadn't touchedit. So I offered him ssome strawberries, I got him to eat the equivalent of a small one. Problem is that he would only eat it if I hand it to him, totally my fault for spoiling him. I left some chunkes in his bowl, he just walked away.

The vet suggested if I found something he likes offer other things the same color. So I will try tomatoes and watermelon. Later this week I will get cherries and red bell peppers. Can't think of any other red foods with a high water content

now I need to give him his greens before he comes out of the tank for the night. I ordered some new snuggies, blankies and two pilozys from his Auntie MoMo ( Monique aka pogismom). They should arrive in a few days. He loves the set he has I'll post pics when they get here.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sure is easy to spoil them, isn't it?

Have you tried musk melon? Even though it's orange, he may be attracted to it. Loki loves watermelon & musk melon.

Monique sure makes great items and is very clever about what she sells. Bet he will love the new things you ordered for him. :p

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have never even heard of musk melon. What does it look like?
I'm going to try kiwi because it has a similar texture to strawberries, not the seeds though. He did eat some watermelon for me tonight.

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You learn something new every day. No I haven't tried it yet but I will. I will also try honeydew melon.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
cantaloupe.jpg

Yes, cantaloupe is the same thing as muskmelon.

Oh yeah, honeydew, forgot about that one.

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im placing a grocery order Wednesday. Here is a list of things I thought I would try: rocket just because he loves it. Pomegranate, kiwi, cucumber, bell pepper, turnip greens, cherries, cantaloupe and honeydew. Hopefully he will like at least some of it

20140516_072724_zpsc17ca38b.jpg

"You seriously want me to eat this? Come on your joking.....right?"

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, Heisenberg, Mommy seriously wants you to eat that :mrgreen: It's to hydrate you, seriously :roll:

That's such a cute picture. Sounds like you're going to get everything in that he might like, hopefully there are some. I've heard of lots of dragons that like honeydew but especially cantaloupe, so good luck!

pogismom

Hatchling Member
I was stumped on musk melon and wondered where the name is derived from? But I am really more baffled with 'rocket?'

Thanks to you both for the kind words regarding my crafted items... It is a pleasure to work with folks who care for their pets welfare and comfort...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm not sure, I just looked it up under salad rocket on google. I knew it was a green, I've seen it awhile back but can't remember what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom