Heating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojasj1

Hi guys! I will be getting a bearded dragon for my son. I have been testing out heating because I want it just right before we get him. So my problem is that I can't get the temp above 90 degrees. I bought the zoo med 40 gallon bearded dragon kit. I am using the deep dome that came with it but that didn't heat up past 80 degrees. I bought a 150w bulb but most of the reading I've done says that it may get too hot. Any suggestions on what I should do? My sons bday is today and he's expecting his dragon!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You may run into some problems with the items that come with the kit. Off the bat I don't suggest using the sand (go with a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic tile) and I wouldn't use the compact fluorescent UVB bulb (I suggest getting a tube style UVB fixture and bulb to provide a wider exposure area). As far as temperatures go, are you using a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun? I suggest using one of those to get the most reliable readings. I tend to go with higher wattage basking bulbs and adjust them "down" to get the correct temps. I have mine on an adjustable lamp stand and just raise the light up until I have the correct temps. You can also put the bulb on a lamp dimmer and cut a little bit of power to it until you have 100-110 on the basking site.

Rojasj1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":28rvk30b said:
You may run into some problems with the items that come with the kit. Off the bat I don't suggest using the sand (go with a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic tile) and I wouldn't use the compact fluorescent UVB bulb (I suggest getting a tube style UVB fixture and bulb to provide a wider exposure area). As far as temperatures go, are you using a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun? I suggest using one of those to get the most reliable readings. I tend to go with higher wattage basking bulbs and adjust them "down" to get the correct temps. I have mine on an adjustable lamp stand and just raise the light up until I have the correct temps. You can also put the bulb on a lamp dimmer and cut a little bit of power to it until you have 100-110 on the basking site.

We tossed the sand since we heard that it can hurt the dragons digestive system. I also bought 2 digital thermometers, one for each side of the tank. We have the dome resting on the cage top since zoo med said its safe but with a higher wattage I'm wondering if that's ok still. Never thought of a dimmer,that sounds like a great idea! Know where I can get one?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah you can put the dome on the cage top, that should be fine. Just be sure your fixture is rated to handle the higher wattage bulb. You can probably pick up a lamp dimmer at a hardware store. Lowe's carries them in the lighting section for around $10 I believe. You can put a T5 UVB light right on top too. With the 40g tank (36''x18''x18'') I suggest getting a 22'' fixture or even a 34'' with reflector. I use one like this with the same sized tank and it works well http://lightyourreptiles.com/22t5hofihouw2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom