Heating/Lighting question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonador

So, I'm getting a bearded dragon this Friday...but there's a problem. This poor guy was mistreated by his previous owners, and as a result has developed a very severe case of MBD...he comes with his tank, which has a heating pad and a heat lamp. I know that he'll need a UVB light, and I think he needs his heat lamp as well, (for basking) but does he need his heat pad? I know I can't take it off, but I can unplug it...

can he just have a heat pad with no heat lamp? I'd much rather not go out and buy another lamp for UVB, but if I have to...

thanks in advance.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Does not need a heat pad....but needs a good UVB.

A reptisun 10.0 linear tube or an Arcadia 12% linear tube would be the best bet to battle MBD. You will need a light fixture. Or you could go with a mercury vapor bulb....which provides UVB and heat. They use a dome....be sure it has a ceramic base.

Also it would be a good idea to use calcium+D3 on all foods, live and greens. You could also try Phoenix worms, high in calcium.

Here are a few other tips for new beardie owners.

-Lighting: (UVB) Reptisun 10.0 or Acadia 12% linear tube lights are the safest choice. Or a good Mercury vapor bulb. Coil and compact UVB bulbs are known to cause health problems for bearded dragons, please refrain from using them. Same goes with other brands of linear tubes. You can use a normal incandescent light bulb for basking (clear or bright white), or a reptile specific basking bulb. Basking light and UVB should be on 12-14 hours per day. MVB bulbs should be placed around 18" above the basking surface.

-No night lights, use a ceramic heater emitter instead. If you can afford it, a light timer and a thermostat take alot of worry out of lighting.

-Lots of room to roam around. 40 gal breeder tank minimum for an adult. Young beardies grow super FAST! 1-2" per month in some cases!

-Feed 2-3 times a day. At 2-3 months old they should be eating 10-30 crickets (or other feeder) per feeding (as much as they can eat in 5-10 minutes). 30-90 a day! 80% protein, 20% veg.(THIS IS FOR YOUNG DRAGONS, Older dragons eat less protein and more veg.) Dubia roaches are a much better feeder for them, and are MUCH easier to keep (no escapes, live longer, can't climb, can't jump, don't bite...crickets will bite your beardie if left in the cage, smell 10000% better, don't make noise, less likely to have parasites, more nutritious). Small dubia nymphs are great for growing beardies. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html <--- great nutrition chart!

-Dust feeders with calcium +D3 (5 feedings per week) and/or multivitamin (2 feedings per week). Phoenix worms are worth a try. High in calcium (no dusting)! Also look in to hornworms and silkworms. Great for adult beardies.

-Good greens: collard, mustard, dandelion. Squash is great too! Offer greens daily, even if they don't eat them, they need to learn. I have to mix in some arugula or cilantro to get ours to get the greens.

-75-80 degrees on the cool side of the viv. A larger enclosure will provide your beardie a much better temperature gradient, from cool side to hot side. They can pick where they are comfortable that way.

-Basking surface temp of 102-105 should be good for most beardies. Take temps with a digital thermometer with a probe. You can get accurate surface temps with a infrared temp gun, but a probe placed on the surface will work too. Leave the probe in for 30 minutes to get a good temp reading. A probed temp is usually about 5-8 degrees lower than the actual surface temp, so take that in account.

-Bath water up to about the shoulders, and warm, about 90 degrees. Beardies seem to like to poo in water, and should be pooping once a day. Do this at least once a week if your beardie isn't eating many greens. You can also mist beardies with a bottle sprayer when they are young to hydrate them.

-Substrate: I would stay away from using sand, beardies might ingest the sand, which will cause impaction. Some use washed play sand with some success....but wait until your beardie is an adult. Never feed your beardie on sand, they will eat it. Repticarpet is a good choice, but can be annoying to keep clean. If you use carpet it's good to have two, so you always have a clean one. Sandstone/ceramic tiles are a really good choice, easy to remove and clean. They can also be baked to sterilize.

SpikesMommy

I am attempting to upgrade my beardie's lighting system. He is looking a bit chilly, lethargic and sometimes runs a little darker these days. I currently have 3 bulb lights - UVB, Basking, and evening. With the weather getting crisper, I want to make sure he stays warm. He resides in my son's room, and my son enjoys a fan. So I am finding a way to make both our beardie and my son happy. As it stands now, there is one side of his cage that doesn't have lights and so I have a towel over the mesh top to try to trap the heat.

I am reading a lot about the Reptisun 10.0 tube system. I know that there needs to be a graduated heat supply in the tank, with one side warmer than the other - does a tub system allow for this? I guess it depends on the length of the tube....

I have a 40 gallon tank for our guy, Spike. The current lighting system and light housing we have is what came with our tank, and we have just replaced the bulbs with the same wattage/style - we started last year with the Zilla XL Deluxe Bearded Dragon Kit and have slowly been making modifications to it. He is about 10(ish) months old.

What size tube would you suggest, and what wattage?

Any suggestions and links for reputable yet cost-effective lighting solutions - for all 3 required types of lights would be most helpful.

Thanks!

PS - we use the reptile carpet as his substrate and his cage has several rocks in it at varying size and height (harvested from the mountains of Pennsylvania). The rocks don't get that warm from the lights, tho. I was hoping they would. Today is the first time I am reading about slate. Would you suggest that a better choice and would help retain heat better, or is just a matter of owner's preference...?

Sonador

Original Poster
Thank you for your extremely quick reply, Truant! I woke up this morning and you'd already posted.

So, keep the heat light (for basking), get a UVB, and don't plug the heat pad in?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
SpikesMommy":3bwrjss8 said:
I am attempting to upgrade my beardie's lighting system. He is looking a bit chilly, lethargic and sometimes runs a little darker these days. I currently have 3 bulb lights - UVB, Basking, and evening. With the weather getting crisper, I want to make sure he stays warm. He resides in my son's room, and my son enjoys a fan. So I am finding a way to make both our beardie and my son happy. As it stands now, there is one side of his cage that doesn't have lights and so I have a towel over the mesh top to try to trap the heat.

I am reading a lot about the Reptisun 10.0 tube system. I know that there needs to be a graduated heat supply in the tank, with one side warmer than the other - does a tub system allow for this? I guess it depends on the length of the tube....

I have a 40 gallon tank for our guy, Spike. The current lighting system and light housing we have is what came with our tank, and we have just replaced the bulbs with the same wattage/style - we started last year with the Zilla XL Deluxe Bearded Dragon Kit and have slowly been making modifications to it. He is about 10(ish) months old.

What size tube would you suggest, and what wattage?

Any suggestions and links for reputable yet cost-effective lighting solutions - for all 3 required types of lights would be most helpful.

Thanks!

PS - we use the reptile carpet as his substrate and his cage has several rocks in it at varying size and height (harvested from the mountains of Pennsylvania). The rocks don't get that warm from the lights, tho. I was hoping they would. Today is the first time I am reading about slate. Would you suggest that a better choice and would help retain heat better, or is just a matter of owner's preference...?

In a 40g tank you will want a 24" Reptisun 10.0 tube and you need to mount the fixture INSIDE the tank over against the warm end, so your beardie can soak up maximum UVB while basking. Your beardie needs to be able to get within 8-10 inches of the light while basking. It hardly puts out any heat at all, so it should not affect your enclosure's temperature gradient. You need to mount it inside the enclosure for two reasons. First, as I said, your beardie needs to be within 8-10 inches of it while basking. Secondly, screens, glass, or plastic filter out the UVB so your beardie will not get the full exposure he needs if there is any material between your beardie and the bulb.

For heat lamps, you should be using any clear incandescent bulb. It can be a normal household bulb. It doesn't have to be branded as a reptile "basking" light. It just needs to be clear glass and of a high enough wattage to get your basking temps into the right ranges.

All light should only be on for 12-14 hours a day. You should not be using any sort of "night time" bulb. It will interfere with your beardie's sleep, as the light is perfectly visible to them, just like it is to you and me. Also, beardies need a temperature cycle, so night time temps need to drop into the 70's or low 80's. Keeping a night time bulb on can keep the temps too high for them to get a proper temperature cycle between day and night. If your night time temps in that room drop below 65 degrees regularly, then you will want to look into purchasing a ceramic heat emitter (CHE). They screw into a normal light bulb socket and put out heat, but no light. Again, that should only be a consideration if night time temps are consistently dropping below 65 in the room where the enclosure is kept.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Sonador":2a42ncs2 said:
Thank you for your extremely quick reply, Truant! I woke up this morning and you'd already posted.

So, keep the heat light (for basking), get a UVB, and don't plug the heat pad in?

Yes! Heat pads are bad news for beardies. They can't feel heat from below them, so they can potentially burn themselves without even realizing it. Also, heat pads commonly short out or develop "hot spots" that can lead to burns and even fires!

SpikesMommy

Thanks Clydesgirl. Good to know about night time light. The room doesn't drop below 65 and the temp is about low-to-mid 70's at night. So I will remove that light.

Also very interesting about mounting the light inside. He has a basking perch as it is now that is about 6-8" away from the light, and the top is a screen. I am heading to the supply store now on my lunch break to see what I can do for our lil guy.

SpikesMommy

Update: I got the 24" reptisun 10.0 tube and stopped putting on the "night" light. The room temp is going to be dropping soon so about to get the ceramic heat emitter for the night. Our lil guy is really enjoying his new perch near the basking/UVB light and can sometimes even be caught panting or moving to a cooler area of his tank from time to time! YAY! He is now all warm and toasty when we take him out and a lovely beige/orange color vs spotty black on his beard.

Thanks!

PS - his eating has also improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom