Heating 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Let's discuss heating options.

Overhead versus UTH (used properly)...

keep in might cost effectiveness, consistent maintaining of temperature, ability to create a gradient

Two scenarios.

Crossfire melamine 4x2x2 caging

120 gallon aquarium (4x2x2)

this is for heating only, but anything contributing to a heat factor must be described........

must state wattages and rough calculate consumption
must state light cycles or heating cycle times to calculate daily and monthly figures.

Ideally you would be able to provide an initial cost of the equipment you plan to use also to show overall value and cost.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok as we have already discussed this:

40w r63 bulb, dimmed slightly (about £1.25)
Ceramic heat emitter to bump temps up in winter (£18.00 for bulb, £6.00 for fixture)
Thermostat to control the thermostat (£50.00)

Start up £25.25, i dont know wattages used, but it costs £3.00 a month to run above my normal consumption

These are run on 13hours on 11 off, in winter this decreases to 12/12. I dont see a noticeable difference in the electricity bill.

The tank is custom 48x19x21" aquarium sealant with 4 large vents (2 on top, 2 bottom of back panel) with 6mm thick glass doors. Slate tile and small sanded area are the substrate (included as they retain heat quite well)

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Buggsy":163golnv said:
Ok as we have already discussed this:

40w r63 bulb, dimmed slightly (about £1.25)
Ceramic heat emitter to bump temps up in winter (£18.00 for bulb, £6.00 for fixture)
Thermostat to control the thermostat (£50.00)

Start up £25.25, i dont know wattages used, but it costs £3.00 a month to run above my normal consumption

These are run on 13hours on 11 off, in winter this decreases to 12/12. I dont see a noticeable difference in the electricity bill.

The tank is custom 48x19x21" aquarium sealant with 4 large vents (2 on top, 2 bottom of back panel) with 6mm thick glass doors. Slate tile and small sanded area are the substrate (included as they retain heat quite well)

didn't ask your personal setup. If we are to discuss the benefits of one type of heating over another, we can not have the variable of individual or specialized caging.

Your cage is smaller than both scenarios and you have not stated what temperatures you maintain or your room ambient.

what size heat emitter do you use?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
you asked wattages and any variables.

ambiant room is 23c, heat emitter is 100 watt, but is never turned on fully.
Basking temp is 104, hot end 90, cool ends 78.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
so what heats your cage when the light cycle is over....

and 23c converts to 73.4 F

and is your heat emitter only turned on in the winter as stated or when is it used?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
suzuki4life":2wk00ynl said:

Why would you have to heat the cage when the light cycle was over? Unless your ambient temp is dropping below 65*F at night, there should be no need.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Indeed i dont require night time heating, the thermostat is et to 70f during the day and 65f at night. It is only required during colder winter nights.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast":2k3c9g9t said:
suzuki4life":2k3c9g9t said:

Why would you have to heat the cage when the light cycle was over? Unless your ambient temp is dropping below 65*F at night, there should be no need.

because he is maintaining a low side of 78 and a hot side of 90....per his statement.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Buggsy":3h0kdm0q said:
Indeed i dont require night time heating, the thermostat is et to 70f during the day and 65f at night. It is only required during colder winter nights.

ahhhh so you left out information... :blob8: :blob8:

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
suzuki4life":3b6gk10t said:
Buggsy":3b6gk10t said:

ahhhh so you left out information... :blob8: :blob8:

curious, if you can heat a cage AND provide a hot spot from a single 40w bulb...why would use use such a large heat emitter in the winter?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
suzuki4life":2f99ho1d said:
GoFast":2f99ho1d said:
suzuki4life":2f99ho1d said:

because he is maintaining a low side of 78 and a hot side of 90....per his statement.

There is a difference between hot side, cool side, and basking site that have nothing to do with heating when the lighting cycle is over...

The cool side is the opposite end of the tank as the hot side and basking site.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
suzuki4life":6dlnlkj1 said:
curious, if you can heat a cage AND provide a hot spot from a single 40w bulb...why would use use such a large heat emitter in the winter?

Just because the emitter is 100w, doesn't mean that all 100 watts are being used...

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast":92p3cb9v said:
suzuki4life":92p3cb9v said:
GoFast":92p3cb9v said:
suzuki4life":92p3cb9v said:

There is a difference between hot side, cool side, and basking site that have nothing to do with heating when the lighting cycle is over...

sure it does....heat needs to be created or released. If the lighting is creating the gradient and then is turned off...something needs to provide it.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
suzuki4life":1ys3xiy0 said:
GoFast":1ys3xiy0 said:
GoFast":1ys3xiy0 said:

sure it does....heat needs to be created or released. If the lighting is creating the gradient and then is turned off...something needs to provide it.

So once again...why do you think Buggsy would need to provide heat at night based of the the daytime temps?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
because thats the only wattage i could get hold of, as stated its barley used. Now why dont you tell everyone else what you use so we can stop nit picking at a set up i know you are biased on?

(for everyone else he dosnt think my set up is appropriate - and im a woman btw lol)

And it dosnt, the heat would gradually dissipate as it rises through the wood and the vents, hence it getting cooler. the ambient temp of the room creates a equilibrium that maintains the temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom