hearing has been set for April 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJean

Extreme Poster
SuperMom30":8bfdf said:
The same way we do : Proper research

How many pet store sell and push Calci-sand as safe...but if you do your research you will find out that it is one of the worst!Here are some exaples I and other people were given when they first bought there beardie Examples: Feeding babys large meal worms and crickets, keeping them on sand, Having to have heat rocks, If you want them to stay small you just keep them in a 10gal they will be fine in that, They need a friend so you might want to buy 2, There Lighting needs is something that must be met (I was told just to use a basking and a night bulb and that was all that was needed...this by PetLand) me and a bunch of others were never even told about them eating veggies or that cals and vit was a must!...Yes people should do as much reserch as possible before buying a pet but many don't and I just think a lot less people would be blindsided along with many more happy healthy reptiles if they were given a care sheet with PROP Care and needs that must be met!

Ah, but since there are many differing opinions about the right care, lights, sand or not etc, how would one research and know the true way to do things, since tecnically there is no true way of dong things?
(forget typos as my keyboard is very sticky and I am tired of fixing things)

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We know you can not keep one in a 10gal tank, we know what needs they must have to avoid MBD, We know they can choke to death if given large bites of food, etc...etc... These are facts...they can talk to breeders and vets and find this info out...hell just come here and they will know ALL they need to know :lol:

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Problemn is not all vets are reptile experts, and some like to act like they are. Some breeders keep multiple dragons in a cage on sand. So even those "athorities" aren't always what we could consider "right".

There should be a committee(s) to reasearch each individual type of "exotic" and write a proper caresheet which then would be a manditory handout with the purchase of that type of animal.

*please excuse all my typos, I know there's misspellings but i'm really doped up on meds trying to kill this flu and haven't slept right in almost a week.*

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I agree with that 100%...I sure hope you feel better soon!

I have a petition that I can email who ever would like to sign or you can email them. Just send me an email at [email protected] and I will shoot it over to you. Let's make sure our love for these animals is proteced and our voices heard :protest: :protest: :protest:

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
I did a little proof reading for you. I think you are likely to be taken more seriously with correct grammar and spelling.

SuperMom30":c6089 said:
Hello, my name is Heather Anderson. I am writing this letter over my concerns of two bills that have been introduced into Congress on 1/26/09 and 2/3/09.
H.R. 669 introduced into the House by Rep. Madeleine Bordallo [GU], and S.373 in the Senate introduced by Sen. Bill Nelson [FL]. These bills would make it illegal to own reptiles that are not native to our area.
While would make this an incomplete sentence I understand the impact of non-native species that are let loose because of someone not being able to care for them any more or simply because the novelty of owning them has worn off. There are still many of us in the reptile community that love and properly care for our reptiles. There are also a lot of responsible breeders whose livelihood is based on these beautiful animals. Shutting down reptile breeders will be putting even more people in financial downfall in this downward economical spiral. You will not only be punishing people who love and care for these animals in financial ruins but it will set off a chain reaction of financial problems. If you make reptile ownership illegal, then breeders will lose their livelihood. Next is the impact on pet stores, then the companies that make lighting for reptiles, the people that make substrate for reptiles, the people that raise or make food for reptiles etc, etc. I ask you to walk into a pet store and look at all the products for reptiles and then you will see just how many companies you will be affecting and how many people that will be out of jobs.
As for the reptiles being responsible for the destruction of our native species, we are the biggest cause of destruction to wildlife habitats. We push animals to the brink of extinction everyday. We tear down their homes to build our own. There are even more irresponsible dog and cat owners who dump their animals. That, too, has a great impact on the environment and safety of a community. For example : The Beach Mouse is an endangered animal in my area. Not only people that keep building condos and beach houses are pushing them closer to extinction but we are also overrun by feral cats that are killing them because of irresponsible pet owners that can no longer care foror want their cats. So do we make owning a cat illegal? More feral dogs attack people than reptiles that were let loose in the wild. Instead of pointing fingers and trying to banish reptile ownership, why not pass a law that has stipulations and requirements of owning reptiles? Such as, all reptiles sold must be micro-chipped and a contract must be signed stating the proper care and requirements that particular species will require until they are adults. [I find many of the people that have unwanted reptiles are simple because they were misinformed of the care and requirements that these animals need throughout there lives.] I would rewrite this entire sentence. Maybe, "I find that many unwanted reptiles are the result of the owner being misinformed of the care requirements that these animals need throughout their lives. By requiring reptiles be micro-chipped, not only can the irresponsible person be fined and punished, but this will also deter people from releasing these animals into the wild.
My other concern is over the fact that people that own reptiles now will not be grandfathered in. I am just one of many people who love their reptiles, the way most people love dogs or cats. I could not imagine my life without them in it, and I think I speak for all of us reptile lovers. If god forbid this law does pass, what will happen to our beloved pets? Most could not go from a home where they are loved and fed everyday and be thrown into the wild and survive. It sickens me to think that they may all have to be euthanized from no fault of their own or the people who love and care for them. I ask you to please reconsider passing these laws that will not only put more strain on people in an already falling economy but would take away the joy in our lives that these wonderful animals bring to us. To many of us, they are not just a novelty or an exotic possession but our best friends and companions. They brighten our lives and breathe life into us. If you doubt the love and care of reptiles and there owners, take the time to go to the online reptile forums you will see how many of us there are who absolutely adore them and make it a point to help everyone who has a question or concern over their reptile. We take the time out of our day to help and educate people on the proper care for their reptiles because they are so important to us. Don’t punish the people who really love and care for these animals.

Sincerely,

Heather J. Anderson

I agree with LJean on the point of, How do we know which care requirements to teach? I mean, obviously WE know, but, unfortunately, we represent only a small percentage of beardie owners and we can't leave it up to the government to decide which method is right and which is wrong. I think Australia has it right..you have to take a class and get a license before you own a reptile. Make it harder to buy a herp, and the people that buy them will be the ones who are passionate enough about them to do the research. The research may start with a basic reptile care class, but for many people, it will expand to internet research and hopefully will eventually lead people to a site like this, that specialized in a certain species. It's not perfect, and sure, some questionable care methods will still be debated, but at least very basics could be covered. In Australia, I don't know who is in charge of teaching these classes or where they get their info but I would think the info comes from a panel of vets, herpetologists and other scientists that have degrees in biology or herpetology or zoology. At least people with better training that the guy who makes $6/hr at your local Petsmart whose entire training consisted of being handed a sheet of paper and being told "Memorize this," if even that much!

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the proof :D I agree with what your saying and think that's an even better idea! I think applying for a licenses is something we would all be willing to do to be able to keep our beloved babies. I also think it would cut down a great deal of overwhelmed pet owners that spontaneously by a pet without know what there getting into...I know I have been guilty of that myself! But then I would have never taken Bubba home because I never understood why anyone would want a reptile as a pet...It was only because they said he would never make it and he looked so helpless that I took him home to try and save him...and if it was not for that I would have never been introduced to the wonderful world of reptiles...:::sigh::: but I do think it would help a lot

xbluex

Juvie Member
UTreptiles":88c16 said:
The good thing about beardies is that they can survive on veggies alone if need be. Supermarket produce section is going to be a beardies best friend. Because if there are scheduled deliveries of crickets to your address they will probably put your name on a watch list with the ATF or FBI. SWAT team busts in the middle of the night to confiscate your dragons. Government is just trying to dip thier hands in every aspect of our lives. :angry5:

This is why we would all start having to breed our own feeders.
Who are they to say its okay for this or that type of animal? They are going to make it illegal to keep a harmless beardie, who if let loose into the environment might go on a killing rampage and take out all of our loving wonderfull house crickets, because who wants to live in a house and go to sleep at night without the lovely chirpping of crickets in their bedroom. But its okay to keep a goat or horse. If a goat was to run away from home or be let loose they coud do serious harm to people with their horns, and horse could trample a person to death! A hog with large tusks could cut a person open very easily. All of the animals on the 'approved list' could be and most likely have been the cause of serious harm to people or other animals in the environment. If this law passes soon after there will be a law against all of those on that approved list, then pretty soon there will be a law against having children, because what kind of government will allow people to raise kids who could possibly grow up to become murderers and drug lords and terrorists?
They can pass whatever law they want, its not going to stop me from caring for the animals that I love. I will never give up my reptiles, I'll never give up my pitbull (who is the most loving sweet dog I've ever owned) and I'll never give up my fish or any other animal I have, I guess we'll all end up being criminals and be put in jail or have to buy our pets and supplies on the black market with the drug dealers.

I agree with all of you. xbluex I'd be one the first ones they came after if all of the "approved animals" were ont allowed anymore as I have more of those than any other. I'm new to beardies but already I love mine and worry about him just as much as I do my kids or my other animals. I'm really tired of the government trying to stifle us it appears we are heading for a communist government instead of a democratic one. Let us vote on this bill and see if it passes, most likely it wouldn't if given up to a vote of the people.

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HR 669 if passed, would by default ban all non-native wildlife UNLESS it was on an approved list. And to be on that list it has to be proven it isnt damaging or cant cause damage to native wildlife.. or people.

Well how do you prove that if by default you ban everything? So basically, common animals like hamsters, gerbils, fresh water fish, saltwater fish, any reptile would be banned until or unless proven that if they escape they cannot cause harm.

This law is just dumb :roll: So how would they prove that unless they want a bunch of people to let there animals go and say "see that didn't live past the winter" or "See there are other animals that will eat them!" it's all just a bunch of BS!!! :angry5: There ticked off because unwanted animals are let go and distroy native wildlife but in order to keep our pets we have to let them go to prove that can't distroy and take over!!!......AND HELLLO how much native wild life to we tare down EVERYDAY!!! GRRR

sorry for the typos I have been up 22hrs now emailing everyone I know, breeders, posting on every reptile forum I come across, bloging on myspace and reptilegeeks, emailing co. that make reptile sup....and still going!!!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
BrittanyS":84534 said:
That makes me so angry. It really is not fair to us who take proper care of our animals. I would much rather pay extra for a pet with a microchip in it. It would even be okay if I had to get a lisence. Either way, if the law passes, no body has to know I have a beardie. :evil:
I agree I would pay a licensing fee, buy them tags, have them micro-chipped whatever it takes.... but isn't anyone taking my beardies away.

Unfortunately I can't hide as the world knows Zak-n-Wheezie to well.

It's not fair like was mentioned that responsible pet owners must suffer. It really sucks that so many people have set free into the wild so many of these creatures that it has come to this. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
It's not like they really took any steps into trying to prevent it. They are JUMPING into this law. Maybe they should try baby steps.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102885&p=802328#p802328

I also made a post before I saw this ( see above)

We ALL need to write letters and such. Write letters to your congressman, contact local media outlets, fill out petitions, contact the names of the members of this congressional committee...if we don't do something NOW it could be too late!

Like fresnowite said, they know who some of us are...and therefore, they could come knocking on our doors! I know I filled out for a permit to have my animals.

Not that I'm in support of PETA, but the way they get things done is by contacting the media, high-up officials, petitions, and a pre-written email letter that anyone can sign and submit to their local congressman/woman. We should use the same tactics!!!!

We have to show them our numbers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom