He said they "got along great!" *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie77

Hatchling Member
And in actuality I don't think that they do!

I have posted elsewhere that we have two new beardies. They are 1 and 1/2 years old. Not sure about sex. Have to look.?.

They were all mellow and hanging out when we went to get them at the previous owners place, but once we got them here In THEIR original set up too. One started Puffing up his beard, it turns black. Bobs up and down slapping his frot legs on the log while the other tries to keep away, bobs its head and moves his front limbs in circles. I read that means it is showing submission.. Sometimes the other will Jump on him and nip at the back of its neck.

I am guessing separating them as soon as I can. What do I do until I can? We do have another tank but I don't have the lights in order to set up another tank properly yet. If I put something in the current tank to separate them, how do they get the proper lighting that they need? should I set a basking light on each end (40 gal tank) and then the UVB light in the center over the divider, will that provide enough light for them for the time being?

Could this be just because of the new surroundings and smells in the house? We do have cats and a dog as well.

Ohh these little guys!! :cry:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Julie77":46812 said:
I am guessing separating them as soon as I can. What do I do until I can? We do have another tank but I don't have the lights in order to set up another tank properly yet

I would separate them immediately..... it sounds like your more dominant one is mounting the other if you know what I mean - I would be concerned about little eggs appearing soon as well as possible injury to the submissive one as it sounds like the dominant one is quite aggressive... Do you have a light fixture for a second basking bulb? Even without the UV light for a couple days, your beardie's will be much safer in separate enclosures providing both have a basking area until you can get a second uv. I would just set up the second basking light in the other 40g you have and put one in there then add the uv light as soon as you can get it.

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I only have the one tank. IT is a 40 gallon tank. If I stick a divider in the center will that be enough room to put a basking light on each end? And If I put the UVB bulb I have in the very center of the tank, will that provide them enough light until I can get another tank?

Yeah I am thinking he IS mounting. He was just doing ONLY that on their basking log.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
The general belief on this matter is that beardies are solitary and territorial creatures and so should always be housed alone.
So really the behaviour you are describing was highly likely to start sooner or later, it may just have been the change of surroundings that brought out the territorial behaviour.
The nipping you are describing is part of a mating ritual so unless you want alot of baby dragons you really do need to seperate them asap!
Housing them together could lead of overbreeding and violence unfortunatly.
Dragons will think nothing of nipping off a chunk or tail/toe in order to defend their basking spot.

Your idea of moving the bulbs with a seperator sounds like a great temporary measure if you cant get her into the new tank for a day or so.
Im sure they will both thrive once seperated.

Congratulations on your new bundles of fun

Holly x

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok.. I have separated Sonic and Shadow. Shadow is the agressive one.

I put a piece of cardboard at an angle in the center and set up a basking spot on each side. I put the UVB bulb I have in the center over the divider, they will get some light from that right? They each have a water dish and a temporary food dish as they came with one big one. and each have a shady spot as well.

Shadow was a bit ticked off when he could not get to Sonic. He JUMPED from his basking log towards the divider. But now each are basking on their logs. Shadow has a 75 WATT bulb while Sonic has a 100WATT. I am looking into getting MVB bulbs for them, so that they get all that they need from the one bulb.

I have the digital probe set by Shadows Basking spot to be sure he is getting enough. I know the other one does.

Now quick question. At night I am using a Ceramic Heat Emitter because our house gets rather cold at night. If I set that in the center where I have the UVB bulb, will it be safe there and NOT start the cardboard on fire? Or if I put it to one side or the other will it creat enough heat for the other side as well?

Silly Lizards! Can't play nice...

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I separated them inside the enclosure..

Here are a few pictures... I hope this works!

IMG_1316.jpg

Sonic is on the right/Shadow is on the left

IMG_1319.jpg

Sonic Ran up to the camera! :D

IMG_1317.jpg

Shadow busy basking (much calmer now)

IMG_1321.jpg

Sonics side...

IMG_1322.jpg

Shadows side.. He has a Food Dish as well is just got cut out of the picture. He is also almost done shedding too! It's almost all off his back and working its way down his tail.

IMG_1320.jpg

How I have the lights..

Will this be ok for them for the time being? The sides are the same size, I measured.... But until I can get another tank set up, will they be ok this way? Should I go out and get TWO All In One Bulbs for their sides? Or will the UVB in the middle like that be ok until I get another tank set up?

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The Middle Light is the UVB bulb. Currently it is a 20WATT Fourescent Coil. I have read that I need a better one...

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
That's not nearly enough room for either of them to live. A 40g tank is the minimum for a single dragon.

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know but for the time being until I can figure out HOW and Where to set up another one.. The other tank we have is a 55 Gallon Fish Aquarium. It is longer but Narrower as well. Will that be ok for One Dragon or should I look into getting another 40 gal?

It is NOT a permanent set up. But I needed to separate them because Shadow was either dominating Sonic or trying to Mate. Not getting along like we were told.

So for Now that is what they are in. This week I will work on getting another set up....

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Julie77":6986e said:
The Middle Light is the UVB bulb. Currently it is a 20WATT Fourescent Coil. I have read that I need a better one...

Ok! Honestly, it's better to take out that coil bulb and throw it out. Often times, they can do more harm than good. So, if you are getting a new one within a week, I wouldn't sweat it.

Its so good that you are doing the right thing for these guys! Good luck getting everything you need for them as soon as possible!! Everyone here can help you so much!

And I LOVE the names! :blob5:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Julie77":87412 said:
I know but for the time being until I can figure out HOW and Where to set up another one.. The other tank we have is a 55 Gallon Fish Aquarium. It is longer but Narrower as well. Will that be ok for One Dragon or should I look into getting another 40 gal?

For the time being, what you have done is what is best for them. The 55 gallon will be too narrow - you need to get a minimum of a 40gallon breeder for them to live comfortably so I would scrap the 55 aquarium idea (if thats an option).

NegativeCreep":87412 said:
Ok! Honestly, it's better to take out that coil bulb and throw it out. Often times, they can do more harm than good. So, if you are getting a new one within a week, I wouldn't sweat it.
I agree with negativecreep - get rid of the coil - they honestly do more harm than good - a few days without uv will be safer for them than the coil bulb!

Good luck!

T

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I am so happy you seperated them! When you get them into seperate enclosures, they will be much happier. I agree about the UV light tho, coils = no good!

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are now in their OWN tanks. When my husband got home we made some arrangements and brought the 55 gal back up from the basement. We have talked about having someone build us a double enclosure set up for something like a tank that is as Long as our 55 gallon tank but as wide as the 40 gallon tank.

I did remove the Coil bulb as it didn't really even seem to create light on either side of the cardboard. I kept the divider in the 40 gallon to be sure that Shadow was able to keep warm enough. And he has the Nightlight/Heatlight to keep it where it is. (currently at 75)

We gave them their meal of Dusted Crickets. That was a first for me even TOUCHING a cricket. You can barely feel them! My son got a kick out of watching that. Sonic nearly dove at the glass when she heard the bag!

Sonic is in the 55 Gallon Tank for now and her Night time temps are 65 on one end and 72 on the other. I have a ceramic heater on her tank. Yes I said HER... After taking many double takes, I am convinced she is a girl. Of course I did not look at Shadow to compare as of yet, he called it a night before I had the chance. Crawled under his log and went to bed. So I will take a peek at him when I can.

Sonic seems to prefer the cooler side tonite. And she likes to watch TV! I caught her staring out the tank at the TV. CSI Las Vegas. LOL

I will be going out tomorrow and finding the MVB bulbs and grabbing another ceramic heater I think for the smaller tank to be safe for at night once I remove that divider..

Jordyn, my son spent about 30 minutes bonding with Sonic. Had her on his lap for a while and then she snuggled up his arm and started falling asleep. I am soo happy he likes them so much!

Now I Just HOPE that Little Miss sonic doesn't give us any signs that there are any little ones on the way..

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
MVB's can be kind of expensive in the pet stores. You may consider ordering them online. The closest pet stores near us sell them for $70-$100 each, while you can order them online for $40-50. The megaray is $40, plus $10 shipping.. so you may consider them (MegaRay's make the best MVB on the market, and you can safely depend on them for 12 months... retileuv.com) I ordered my megaray on Friday and got it on Monday, btw. CHE's are more expensive in the pet stores too... Check out petmountain.com, they usually have the cheapest price on a lot of supplies, or lllreptile.com, they have great prices and service! Setting up two enclosures can get costly real fast, so I hope we can save you some cash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom