Having difficulty getting Hades to drink water

Status
Not open for further replies.

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
I have searched this board for ideas and tips and I have tried everything, I think.

Hades still appears good and healthy I'm just getting concerned with his water intake (or lack thereof ).

When he was really little he would drink from the splashes in the tub or misting. However, he does HATE his baths and now as of late he will not lap up any water and it seems he hates misting more. :-/ He is only concerned with getting OUT of the bath or away from the mist.

So the past few days I have been try to just put a drop on his snout and let him lap it up that way, that way he doesn't have to bathe as often.

I got I lap yesterday (one lap) and maybe 3 today, not quite sure how much water he is getting out of that, just a few drops. I am including some small pieces of grapes in his salad also for water and will mist his salad, only thing is, I think by the time he eats any of his salad it is already getting dry, not the veggies but the water from the misting. I give him salad in the morning and replace in the evening. Of course he is young yet so more interested in insects but he does eat his salads occasionally. :)

So in the mean time I am bathing him about 2 to 3 times a week but for only about 5 mins because he hates it so much. He won't tolerate it much longer.

I will of course continue to practice the drops since today was an improvement over yesterday, by a few drops, I guess, I'm asking should I be concerned? His poops are daily, usually twice a day, but at least once, nice and healthy with normal urates. But this water strike has been for the past couple weeks. Should I start bathing him more since he is not drinking any water or just continue what I'm doing?

Hades is about 4 month old ( just an est, about 13 inches, no scale yet, but I have a ton of pics in the photo thread titled HADES if you need to look at pics.

I don't keep a water bowl in his tank due to living in FL and trying to keep the humidity down. I have one, should I put it in? Any more ideas that I could try or should I not worry about it?
How much water should they drink?

Thanks as always for you time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They get most of their hydration from their food so if the bugs are well hydrated and the veges are fresh every day he should be getting what he needs. You can continue to offer drops on his nose but don't be forceful and just let him take what he wants. If he doesn't like baths you don't have to offer them. It's probably not worth the stress unless he really needs a cleaning. If he's active and eating and pooping regularly I don't think you have anything to worry about.

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, good to know. :) I will ensure his veggies and bugs are well hydrated, as they usually are. He does ok in the bath, no stress marks, just always trying to find a way out. But thanks for the tips.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you are concerned, I've found flavoring the water helps sometimes then dripping it on the snout. I'll squeeze a bit of apple or fruit in the water , or use a little probiotic or bee pollen. Sometimes pepper drinks a lot (plain or flavored) and other times doesn't.

I'd just keep up with oral water and making sure your bugs are nice and juicy.

nurstradomus

My beardie, Professor Lizardo, has never drunk water that I know of. He must get all his water from the greens, fruit, and bugs. I spray him daily and he LOVES the spray but never opens his mouth or licks the water. I have a water dish in his enclosure, of course, but I've never seen him drink it. He is healthy and vigorous, bowel movements fine with urea of course, so this is a total mystery to me. Even my tortoises drink water but not this guy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unsweetened fruit juice can help.

FYI : bearded dragons have evolved to cope with very long droughts in central Australia where running water and standing water can be non-existant for several years.

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah he's fine. I mist his salads daily and he does a pretty good job eating his greens. He's happy, healthy and spoiled but still doesn't "drink" or lap up much water. He does very occasionally when giving a bath but I'm not worried about it anymore.

Plus I give him hornworms for treats and water consumption and he loves them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom