Have you even seen a beardie with legs like this? soo weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh my the poor thing.I am glad you adopted her.She is in need of some serious TLC.The legs are indications of MBD(metabollic bone disease) which comes from improper uv lighting(or none) and improper calcium supplementation.She is also quite undernourished so you will have to take care as to not overload her with protien right away.I would be happy to go over what needs to be done to get her healthy again.What type of uvb are using and how old is it?Is it coil,compact or linear tube?If you would like we can go over your set up tp make sure its all good.

-Vicky

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am also moving this topic to the beardie ER for better exposure and because of the urgency of the problem

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she is 2 years old, I adopted her from someone on craigslist. Their son got her as a bday present and he was scared of her so she was never held until I got her. When I started asking the woman questions it became clear she had absolutly no flippin idea how to care for Gina. She said Gina has NEVER been in water, NO baths. She's had her on sand since a baby. and has NEVER used a uvb light she says she gets the uvb from a window. She also said that Gina like her tank cold at 80 degrees. She says that she noticed her losing weight and getting depressed 6 months ago but her son didnt want to give her up ( even though he hated her). Until i came in and promised her a good home.
I have her in a 50 gallon breeder tank. newspaper substrate. reptisun 10.0 the 24 inch one. and a heat lamp. I just ordered online solar drops liquid uvb bone aid liquid calcium. She has the longest legs I have EVER seen. She is eating crickets like she has never seen them before but will not eat and vegetables. I tried different types of lettuce, strawberries, and butternut squash but she wont eat it.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
scalesandtales":f66c4 said:
she is 2 years old, I adopted her from someone on craigslist. Their son got her as a bday present and he was scared of her so she was never held until I got her. I have her in a 50 gallon breeder tank. newspaper substrate. reptisun 10.0 and a heat lamp. I just ordered online solar drops liquid uvb bone aid liquid calcium. She has the longest legs I have EVER seen.
Ok good great on the tank size,substrate is ok but I would switch to papertowels unles it has no ink on it.The reptisun 10 is linear?If so thats really good just make sure she can get within 6-8 inches of it.If you can I would cancel the solar drops they are dangerous and I dont recommend using them.The bone aid is ok but here is what I recommend:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Meds.html#CalciumGluconate
Its very good for MBD.Also how are her temps and how are you measuring them?A digital probe or temp gun is really a need to accurately measure temps.You want her basking surface to be 95f-105f and a cool side of about 75-80.I also recommend bathing her first daily to get her hydrated then you could go weekly after a while.Its also a good idea to give her a babyfood slurry to fatten her up.You want to start with a veggie babyfood first with a small amount of chicken babyfood mixed it and thin it out with water,warm it in the microwave and spoon feed it to her if she wont take it then you can give it to her with a needless syringe.It may be the photo but she seems very thin and she probably wasnt offered alot of protien.If you give her too much to quickly then she could go into organ failure.Also offer her a fresh bowl of veggies daily.Here is a good list you can use:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
As she starts to fatten up you can up the protien content a little at a time to make sure she doesnt go into shock.
Thats so sad that they neglected her so badly.Its a shame so many consider them disposable pets but hopefully you will be able to give her the home she deserves :D

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
her temps are all perfect. Im using a digital thermometor.Ive been giving her baths every day and she enjoys them. the first time she was all confused and puffed out her beard and turned balck, but now she just drinks the water out of the tub and takes a nap. Whats exactly is bad about the liquid uvb? What product on that link should i buy?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am sorry I though it would bring you to only the one product:
Calcium Glubionate (fruit flavored liquid)
As for the liquid solar drops they are extremely hard on the liver and kidneys and easily overdosed.I have helped several people here who made the mistake of using it only to have to deal with organ failkure and especially in her condition its just not a good idea to apply anything so harsh into her system.You might also want to pick up some repta aid critical care formula for her to help balance out her internal system.
Terrific on the digital therm and the baths thats so important for her.I am glad you obviously either did some homework or have done this before :wink:

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
oh and I also ordered Jump Start Caloric Supplement & Appetite Stimulant but for my other rescued juvi beardie . is that bad??

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No actually the jump start is good its similar to the repta aid but you cant give it continuosly like the repta aid.I am trying to give you the least invasive things for her system.Yes actually my Apophis had legs just like that when I got him.Many undernourished and calcium deficient beardies look simmilar and walk with their hind part up higher then the front.Part of this is also an illusion when she gains weight it will look less stark.She looks so high off the ground because she has no fat on her,her hip bones are showing and her fat pads are gone.When se has a nice round belly she will look alot more normal although she may always walk funny from the bone issues.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
is there anything else i can do for her tonight?? because im not going to be home for the next 3 days (in hospital). I have a ton of human vitamins and every food you can think of. IS THERE ANYTHING???

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
scalesandtales":11340 said:
is there anything else i can do for her tonight?? because im not going to be home for the next 3 days (in hospital). I have a ton of human vitamins and every food you can think of. IS THERE ANYTHING???
Oh wow I hope nothing to serious.Do you have anyone to watch her while your gone?The only thing I can tell you is have someone get her the babyfood and give that to her.Also make sure she has alot of fresh finely chopped veggies daily.I would avoid the human vitamins as it will be hard to give her an accurate dosage.Do you have SOY yogurt or acidophilliz on hand?

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yes !!! im lactose intolerant =) I have soy yogurt and I have all natural powered vitamins from a all natural health food store. I also have soy milk?... oh and she wont eat vegies at all. wont even go near them to take a lick. she pooped on her food. she will only eat crickets.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok good (not that your lactose intolerant but on having the yogurt).Thats a natural probiotic and you can give her some of that tonight start with a small amount to make sure it doesnt disagree with her.Mine like the blueberry best :D No need to use the soy milk as its the cultures that you want to use.I know she may not eat them right now but still make sure she has them(veggies).As an adult she should be eating 80%veggie/20%protien diet.Do you have babyfood?What type of calcium do you have on hand?

Great that your dads going to feed them.Do you think he would be willing to give her some extra TLC and some babyfood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom