Has anyones beardie ever done this?... Vid inside...UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
kirby":09b37 said:
um, im lost... but tracie, are you suggesting the dragons problems are coming from an overdose of meds?

because two of mine have had the same thing, and in my experiences, nothing to do with meds.

Kirby, I had the same issue with Semi when he was a juvie. I tried the swabbing of olive oil on his ears but it didn't help. Semi was on Sulfatrim at the time. I ended up taking Semi in for a complete neurological workup and found the meds to be the cause. Sulfa meds doesn't even have to be to high. Each dragon is different. I had to give him Baytril to counteract the sulfa and it helped alot. Semi's catch reflex is still off a bit but a whole ton better. There is a name for this but I can remember only that it is basically sulfa intoxicated. A reaction to the drug. If this dragon didn't have it before being medicated, then I would suspect the med could be the cause.

I hope your baby gets well fast. It sure is a cutey pie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is what Junior wrote about her condition in his first post. She was having some issues but evidently not the inability to catch live prey and the head shaking like she started after the vet visit. So, a problem with the antibiotic is certainly something that should be considered.
fonzie001":4d140 said:
Zoe hasnt been herself lately. It started about 6 days ago during bathtime she began to roll like and aligator in the water and it really scared me... Then when I put her back in her cage, she began to lift her head back as far as she could like she was gasping for air, but she didnt breath like she needed it.... So I took her to the vet to find out that she has (coccidia *sp*). She was then given a albon to take home, after 2 days it seems like shes getting worse... now she has totally loss her bearings and cannot seem to even catch a roach that is laying on its back...

kirby

Extreme Poster
ahh... so what my beardies experienced could have been sulfa in the diet? but what has sulfa in it? the only thing i could lead it to, perhaps a bad batch of crickets?

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
kirby":5fd21 said:
ahh... so what my beardies experienced could have been sulfa in the diet? but what has sulfa in it? the only thing i could lead it to, perhaps a bad batch of crickets?

No Kirby, I had read about the ears and did what you did to no avail. The op should try that first, if she doesn't see any improvement then a vet visit needs to happen. A long time ago, I read about someone else's beardie that had ear issues that olive oil worked. This just gives the op another option if what you did doesn't work. I seriously thought Semi had neurological issues and didn't.

kirby

Extreme Poster
pscaulk, it waqs probably my thread.... two years ago? i thought it was neuro too..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going today? Any improvements?
Yes, I do think it is a possibility of drug overdose. Sulfa has severe allergic reactions in humans & has been known to cause severe side effects in reptiles & mammals.
It is very harsh on the liver & kidneys causing severe dehydration. That alone, will cause inability to function, loss of balance, & other problems.
I hope everything is going better!

Tracie

fonzie001

Original Poster
Hey everyone, Im sorry I have not been keeping up with this thread much but I am totally happy to say that she is doing great :blob5: :blob8: .... From the time she got sick to today she has managed to grow 1/2" and she went from 19.5 grams to 29grams :shock: ... So needless to say she is doing awesome. I wanted to thank everyone that responded to this thread, and also Kirby for giving me the idea to use veggie oil.
Junior and the better feeling ZOE. :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, that's so great that Zoe is doing so much better. 8) So, the oil in the ear seemed to do the trick? No more of the shaking of the head at all & she is able to catch the live food fine now? Are you still giving her the antibiotic? Thanks for the update. :wink:

fonzie001

Original Poster
diamc":f5710 said:
Wow, that's so great that Zoe is doing so much better. 8) So, the oil in the ear seemed to do the trick? No more of the shaking of the head at all & she is able to catch the live food fine now? Are you still giving her the antibiotic? Thanks for the update. :wink:

Yup, the oil in the ear worked like a charm this time. The shaking of the head is 100% gone and she is catching her prey like its the last one shes ever gonna get. I have actually stoped giving her the antibiotic since she doesnt seem to need it, her poop is looking normal, maybe just a lil wet from being really hydrated. I will be doing my own fecal exam on her in the near future, once my microscope and float/liquid come in...
Thanks,
Junior

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, that's great that she's doing so well and that the head shaking is totally gone. Good to hear that you're not giving the antibiotics anymore, like you said, no reason to give it since she is doing so well. Since we all felt so bad for her when she couldn't catch her food, do you think you could post a video of her eating now, I know that would make us all feel better. :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
GREAT Zoe is doing so much better now! :D
What is the humidity in the tank? If it is too low, 20% or so, that can dry out their membranes too & cause balance issues.
I agree, the antibiotics don't need to be given now, & probably never did in the first place either. I think it was a combination of too much medication & dehydration.

Thanks for the updates.

Tracie

fonzie001

Original Poster
Once again I want to thank everyone, I dont know where i'd be without the knowledge held on these boards :study: . Ive been getting home really late so I havent taken the time to record her munching down, but I promise I will make it happen very soon :mrgreen: .
Zoe has been doing great, she is definately back to her normal self 100%, and eating like a lil pig :lol: . She will definately be eating me out of a house here in the near future :twisted: . Thanks again.
Junior :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom