Has anyones beardie ever done this?... Vid inside...UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzie001

Original Poster
kirby":230c2 said:
ive had this with TWO of my dragons.

Tracie, remember Puppy with this? well my younger brothers dragon recently had it too.

i put some oil on their ears, swab it off.. mist alot, particularly ont heir ears. lower everything int he viv to just the floor. as he will probably flip over and roll off high objects.

it SHOULD go away within 4-5 days. untill then, keep up his misting, keep his temps right, and help him feed.

it has something to do with the inner ear and balance, as well as sight and they act like there head is a balloon.

its sad, and very odd, but it goes away. (im not sure what it is)

Kirby,
Out of curiousity what kind of oil where you using?? That way I can go and get some asap! I hope it works for her too!
Junior

kirby

Extreme Poster
fonzie001":4bc19 said:
Kirby,
Out of curiousity what kind of oil where you using?? That way I can go and get some asap! I hope it works for her too!
Junior

just conola, vegetable oil? its only to lubricate and moisten their ear membrane..

have you removed everything from her viv? tweeser feed, and offer greens, they are easier to grab. mist her ears as well..

fonzie001

Original Poster
kirby":d88e9 said:
fonzie001":d88e9 said:
Kirby,
Junior

just conola, vegetable oil? its only to lubricate and moisten their ear membrane..

have you removed everything from her viv? tweeser feed, and offer greens, they are easier to grab. mist her ears as well..

Would corn oil work? Or does it have to be veggie oil? Another question I have is, once I get the right oil how many times of day do i put it on her ears and with what do I apply it? As far as misting I have never misted her but I tend to give her 2 baths a day, will that suffice?
Thanks,
Junior

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
fonzie001":1c915 said:
Hey Abi thanks for the heads up but alot of people on here have said that the doseage is about right, but I will call the vet tommorrow once again to double check. I also wanted to thank everyone here for all the encouragement and help that Ive been getting. As off today no new news since I left for work at 4am and didnt get home till 930pm so she was sleeping when I left and sleeping when I got home.... Gotta love the military!
I will hopefully get home alot earlier tommorrow and I will post and update on my lil girl Zoe....
Junior
Junior,
I'm sure there's a reason for the difference in dosage...maybe how often you give it to her? I'm probably way off, read it wrong, or I'm just simply plain wrong lol. If you've spoken to others on here, I'm sure the dosage is fine. My only concern was that the dosage was given followed by her weight and not the other way around and sometimes (I know because I've done it) the information is missed. And I know that it's always good to get a few opinions, which you have and you have excellent people following her case. :D
When is she due for another fecal to check her count? I hope she gets over the coccidia quickly and that her other problems go away, too.
That's great that she was able to eat more on her own! :D
Oh, I believe kirby is saying to mist her ears, because the water will aid in lubrication, along with the oil. I don't know what type of oils are safe, but I think that's why kirby is saying to mist her. Baths usually don't allow water to get in their ears...unless they "dunk" their heads or something like that. I hate to ask another question, but what is her humidity at? If kirby is right and her ears need more moisture because her equillibrium (sp?) is off then her humidity may play into that somewhat (but then again, Albon can cause some problems, not to mention the coccidia itself). Again, I have no idea if I'm correct, just a thought (and I'm a little curious myself :oops: ).
Abi

kirby

Extreme Poster
surely you have canola, veggie, olive oil? just a drop in his ear, and use a tissue to absrob most of it off..

mist, else he may flip in the water of a bath..

kirby

Extreme Poster
last week, was the second time i have seen this. i did the oil once... although you could do it daily. i misted twice a day. and it went away within 4-5 days.

again, make sure everything in the iv is flat, and that he continues to eat.

fonzie001

Original Poster
Once again I want to thank everyone for there input... I will be using the oil on Zoe tonight with hopes that it goes away soon. As far as her furniture, the only thing she has is a lil ramp that gets her close to her heat source and I also have grape vine. The vine is really thick so I really dont see her falling off, plus the vine gets her close enough to her Repti S 10.0. I will continue to feed veggies in the morning and then crickets/dubias in the afternoon.
Thanks
Junior
BTW if I see her get loopy and having issues staying atop of her vine I will remove it asap.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
You know what I just thought of that this reminds me of? Well at my work we had a White's Australian Treefrog and he would walk in circles and had a hard time catching food even though he was visibally hungry. It turned out he had an ear infection. And we treated him with some kind of anitibiotics. I wish I could remember what kind.

Now my question is, aren't ear infections sometimes caused by too much moisture in the ears? I'm not trying to say that's what this is, but what if? Poor girl, I hope she is better soon. And I hope this oil treatment helps. If it's just like Kirby's dragon, I'm sure you should see results really soon!

Glad to hear she is able to eat somewhat ok on her own now!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I do want to add one thing.If your keeping the vine it may not be a badd idea to lay a folded towel on the bottome of the tank as a cushion should your beardie fall.This will help reduce the risk of possible injuries if your not there to stop it.Keep us posted.

kirby

Extreme Poster
vickson420":75d9f said:
I do want to add one thing.If your keeping the vine it may not be a badd idea to lay a folded towel on the bottome of the tank as a cushion should your beardie fall.This will help reduce the risk of possible injuries if your not there to stop it.Keep us posted.

even this wont really help, mine would roll onto their backs, and struggle to get upright. as you know they find it hard to breath upside down and can suffocate. this is more my worry then falling.

fonzie001

Original Poster
Well today is a great day! :D I started her off with some greens and she devoured them.... A lil after that I gave her a 15 min bath that she seemed to enjoy and she did not once roll nor "star gaze". A couple hours ago I put her in her feeded tank and she ate about 10 med. crickets, after words she got another bath and she poopied not long after that... I can officially say that she seems to be doing around 60-70% better than when all the issues started. Once again thanks to all the people that have been helping. I will keep you guys updated as she hopefully continues to progress.
Junior & Zoe

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great, sounds like she is improving. Does she still shake her head when she tries to catch a bug?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear that he is doing better. Sorry I had not been back on. I did doublecheck the dosage & for roughly 20 grams or .02 kgs of weight, his dosage should only be .02cc or ml if he is getting a dosage of 50mg/kg, but if he is getting a dosage of 25mg/kg he only gets .01cc or ml.
If you initially gave him the .08cc or ml that was indeed an overdose & that definitely would have caused some major problems.
I would personally decrease down from the .04 to at least the .02 which is more the dose for his weight than the .04 is. Remember, Albon is extremely harsh on the liver & can become toxic & will greatly dehydrate him. An overdose of Albon could have also caused some of those symptoms, too.
So you mixed it to a 25mg/ml, correct? If so, you can give either .01 or .02 that is fine, for the remainder of her medication round.
Though I am happy she is improving. You have been working hard to get her better.

Tracie

kirby

Extreme Poster
um, im lost... but tracie, are you suggesting the dragons problems are coming from an overdose of meds?

because two of mine have had the same thing, and in my experiences, nothing to do with meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom