Has anyones beardie ever done this?... Vid inside...UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzie001

Original Poster
Sorry for the late post, Zoe is currently 8.5" and she weighs 19.5 grams as of 6 days ago. Today when I finally made it home from work I saw that she had pooped 2 x's and I emmidiately picked it up and cleaned it up with (novalsan "SP"). I then grabbed some dubias and dusted them with calcium and gave them to her.... from what I can tell she can see them fine all the way from accros her enclosure but as soon as its in her face she can't seem to strike accurately... I feel so bad for my lil girl :cry: .... I called the vet today and was told that her count of coccidia is (3 per higher field?) not sure what this means but thats what I was told.... The only thing that is keeping me somewhat zane is the fact that she seems to be active in while in her tank and the fact that she still has an apetite. Hopefully she gets better soon! I also left a voicemail for another vet that works at the same clinic describing her lattest actions but did not get a call back hopefully I can get ahold of him tommorrow.
Junior

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Junior, sorry to hear that Zoe has not improved. I noticed in another thread that you're using a Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, which is great, but I was just curious as to how close she is to that bulb? Also, how often are you using calcium and vitamins?

Is she able to eat anything on her own at all? If not, it would probably be a good idea to feed her some babyfood until you can get her checked out, you certainly don't want her to lose any weight. Did you hear back from the vet?

fonzie001

Original Poster
Well I tried calling the Vet today again and was only able to leave a message. However the vet did call back but I was not able to pick up since I was at work. In the message he states that he was going over Zoe's chart and with the shaking problem she has been having he thinks it might be (hypocalcymia "SP"), he recommends for me to stop by and pick some liquid calcuim from them asap.

Zoes setup right now allows her to get about 5-6 inches away from the tube. As far as calcium (rep-cal) I give it to her 6-7 times a week and I give her herptivite 3-4 times a week on her salads. As you saw in the video she is having trouble trying to eat but she is still very interested in eating... So what i do is I take the legs of the crickets and put them in the corner of her tank so she can catch them that much easier. The dubias on the other hand, I just lay them upside down so they dont move, but from what I see she is still showing very good signs of having an appetite.
Junior

Hi Junior, sorry to hear that Zoe has not improved. I noticed in another thread that you're using a Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, which is great, but I was just curious as to how close she is to that bulb? Also, how often are you using calcium and vitamins?
Is she able to eat anything on her own at all? If not, it would probably be a good idea to feed her some babyfood until you can get her checked out, you certainly don't want her to lose any weight. Did you hear back from the vet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry Zoe is still having a hard time! Geez, poor girl. At 3+ with the coccidia, that is not too bad, but if it is affecting her health then I would medicate. I am not a huge advocate for medicating unless they are having adverse health affects & poor appetite.
Great to hear though she is eating & is somewhat active too.
I agree, if you have not used the Reptisun 10 for very long, but used a weaker bulb prior, she probably does have Hypocalcemia, which could turn into metabolic bone disease if not treated. So I definitely agree with using some liquid calcium, to help her out.
I would only give the herptivite 1-2 times per week, & when you give the liquid calcium do NOT continue giving the powdered calcium, at the same time.
I hope she feels better soon. Yes, popping the back legs off of the crickets helps immensely with their ability to catch the crickets better.

Tracie

fonzie001

Original Poster
Hey Tracie,
Thanks for the speedy reply.... As far as as her R 10.0, she has had it since the first day she came home, and I have had her for about 2 months now. I will definately be stopping by the vet to pick up her calcium asap, but due to work(military) it will probably be till this weekend. Thanks for the heads up to just give her the liquid and not the dust also. Should I still give her the herptivite 1-2 x's week? I really hope she pulls through! Wish her luck!
Junior

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since she's been under the Repti-Sun for over 2 months at a distance of about 6 inches and you've been giving her the calcium 6 to 7 times a wk, it doesn't seem like she would have Hypocalcemia though. But, I'm wondering if getting the vitamins 3 to 4 times a wk might be causing the head tremors though. I would definitely cut the vitamins back to 1 to 2 times a wk but at only 1 feeding a day. Does the calcium you're using contain D3 but is phosphorus-free?

Hopefully she'll be doing better soon. The video was so sad. I hope she is able to get enough live food herself while this is going on. Good luck, we wish her better health.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am very sorry to see the trouble your little guy is having. I would definately try to get him to the vet for labwork.Did the vet actually see this beavior?I have heard of imbalance issues in very serious cases of coccidia but it would have to be an enormous amount and he would have had to been sick for quite some time.Judging by his age I dont think this is the case and I agree with Diane there may be an imbalance in his calcium levels.Does he hold his head up high at all? Like he is "star gazing"?

fonzie001

Original Poster
I am currently giving her "Rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vit d3" and im giving it to her 6-7 x's a week but only once a day. Today she managed to eat 5 crickets and she was able to chase them down and actually catch them herself so that is definately a good sign, I think? But at the same time she still seems to be having a bit of trouble striking accurately. Like I said before I will definately go to the vet asap to pick up her Cal. As far as her "star gazing" she seems to do it mostly after bath time and not so much during the day from what Ive noticed. Hope this answers all the questions. Her coccidia count was +3 and from what I hear thats not very very bad....? I will keep you guys posted as the ordeal continues to unfold.... hopefully for the best!
Junior

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Wow, I hope you find out what's wrong soon. I have no advice to offer, but man that video is disturbing. It kinda looks like she does have an equilibirum issue. I hope your vet can figure it out....

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I'm sorry to jump in like this and I know you are getting the best advice (I'm dealing with coccidia too and couldn't have gotten as far as I have with my two without the help provided here)...but I was looking at the Albon dosage and her weight. Tracie, or someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't .04cc too much for a beardie that weighs only 19.5grams??? Could an overdose be causing any of this??? Taz weighed 129 grams the last time the vet did a fecal and he was prescribed .12cc...I'm not sure what his actual count is now (I go by how many the vet sees on the slide now)...I think 2+ is where he's technically at, but both of my babies have fought coccidia (at a count that was "too high to count") and never have they been given that high of a dose according to weight (Taz's first dose was .05cc, but he weighed 48 grams at the time). Again, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think her weight was looked at after the dose was given. You're getting the best advice from everyone on here, I'm sorry if I misread something or am just plain wrong...I only have my own experiences to go off of :? :oops: .
Poor little girl, that video is hard to watch. I hope she gets better soon. You're doing a great job.
Abi

atreyu917

Juvie Member
amalsg07":ce748 said:
I'm sorry to jump in like this and I know you are getting the best advice (I'm dealing with coccidia too and couldn't have gotten as far as I have with my two without the help provided here)...but I was looking at the Albon dosage and her weight. Tracie, or someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't .04cc too much for a beardie that weighs only 19.5grams??? Could an overdose be causing any of this??? Taz weighed 129 grams the last time the vet did a fecal and he was prescribed .12cc...I'm not sure what his actual count is now (I go by how many the vet sees on the slide now)...I think 2+ is where he's technically at, but both of my babies have fought coccidia (at a count that was "too high to count") and never have they been given that high of a dose according to weight (Taz's first dose was .05cc, but he weighed 48 grams at the time). Again, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think her weight was looked at after the dose was given. You're getting the best advice from everyone on here, I'm sorry if I misread something or am just plain wrong...I only have my own experiences to go off of :? :oops: .
Poor little girl, that video is hard to watch. I hope she gets better soon. You're doing a great job.
Abi

I used to work at a vet where a couple month old beardie had been overdosed with Albon. He had temporary paralysis for about 6 days. Otherwise he was fine. So I doubt that that is why she is acting like that

fonzie001

Original Poster
Hey Abi thanks for the heads up but alot of people on here have said that the doseage is about right, but I will call the vet tommorrow once again to double check. I also wanted to thank everyone here for all the encouragement and help that Ive been getting. As off today no new news since I left for work at 4am and didnt get home till 930pm so she was sleeping when I left and sleeping when I got home.... Gotta love the military!
I will hopefully get home alot earlier tommorrow and I will post and update on my lil girl Zoe....
Junior

fonzie001

Original Poster
Bump for Zoe feeling better today, she ate about 7 crickets and she caught them all on her on. She was able to chase them down and eat them with only one strike per cricket. WOOT WOOT.
Junior

kirby

Extreme Poster
ive had this with TWO of my dragons.

Tracie, remember Puppy with this? well my younger brothers dragon recently had it too.

i put some oil on their ears, swab it off.. mist alot, particularly ont heir ears. lower everything int he viv to just the floor. as he will probably flip over and roll off high objects.

it SHOULD go away within 4-5 days. untill then, keep up his misting, keep his temps right, and help him feed.

it has something to do with the inner ear and balance, as well as sight and they act like there head is a balloon.

its sad, and very odd, but it goes away. (im not sure what it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom