Hard lump on leg! Comments please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":1cyi4kso said:
Nardo has pinworms and toxicosis, he is doing well so far, Vet is going to phone again on Monday, I really want to go visit him but my lack of car situation isn't fun atm :(
Ordered temp gun, thermostat arrived, my dad is super handy and is going to make a viv for me but is away until end of Sept so I am going to cover the glass aquarium I have with EVA foam to regulate temps.

4ft glass tank until end of Sept then wooden DIY viv;
What wattage CHE should I get? 60W? << I'd go for a 100W and put it under control of a dimming thermostat maybe , depends on how cold it gets in the room where Nardo will be overnight.
And tossing up between 26W exoterra compact with nano hood or reptisun/arcadia tube and reflector? (can't find reflector for 22" Arcadia T8 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182098413905)

Can't wait for him to come home!!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I too hope Nardo can come home soon. I'm glad you were able to get him to the vet & glad everyone gave you some good advice. Keep updating your post, with pictures.
83443-7010097760.jpg

Nardo

Original Poster
Hi there,
I am getting Nardo back tonight!!

Am after a little clarification please
(Apparently Vet is not a certified reptile vet but a wildlife vet, I phoned AmazingAmazon and he said to get UVB light for full length of enclosure but reading otherwise says 2/3 length of tank)

My tank is 4ft, Should I get;
-2 or 3ft Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO I got 3ft Reptisun 10.0 T5 and reflector, at 10-12"?
-Bunnings Par 38 80W in my dome fitting got this today too
-CHE 100W at 10" (from eBay)

I have Thermostat, temp gun, measuring tape for distances ready for fitting tonight.

Wanting to buy UVB light today and would prefer someone tell me exactly as is doing my head in :cry:

Anything else please let me know. Over the moon to get him back home! Will post photos :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":2bu5e2d4 said:
Hi there,
I am getting Nardo back tonight!!

Am after a little clarification please
(Apparently Vet is not a certified reptile vet but a wildlife vet, I phoned AmazingAmazon and he said to get UVB light for full length of enclosure but reading otherwise says 2/3 length of tank)

My tank is 4ft, Should I get;
-2 or 3ft Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO I got 3ft Reptisun 10.0 T5 and reflector, at 10-12"?
-Bunnings Par 38 80W in my dome fitting got this today too
-CHE 100W at 10" (from eBay)

I have Thermostat, temp gun, measuring tape for distances ready for fitting tonight.

Wanting to buy UVB light today and would prefer someone tell me exactly as is doing my head in :cry:

Anything else please let me know. Over the moon to get him back home! Will post photos :)
Different vet training here in Australia cf in the USA , that vet should be OK.

I'd go for about 10 inches if the tube has a reflector behind it. A good polished / shaped refector will double the UV seen by the beardie .
Unfortunately I don't have data for the UVB from the tube, maybe someone else has the UVB flux vs distance for it.

Nardo

Original Poster
Got Nardo home tonight back from Vet!...
Purchased today Reptisun 10.0 30W 36" with reflector fixture (on top of tank with no mesh covering), and Par 38 80W globe, insulated outside of tank with polystyrene (careful none goes in his tank!)

Was a bit unsure with temp gun as the stick he was on ranged from 35-52 from one side to the other width, he was sitting a bit lower at about 38, he was 33.5 degrees, sitting for about 10 minutes....

....All of a sudden I saw him slipping off his stick, he fell backward onto the astro turf, he FROZE UP! motionless, legs backwards and mouth open!! omg :'( :'(
I laid him down again to relax for a few minutes, picked him up then gave him drops of water with a little syringe and he drank lots!! His right toes were twitching: https://youtu.be/kZF9kLygNI8

Anyone heard of this reaction? Too hot? Too close UVB?? Please help! My poor little boy :'(

This is what the tank WAS, I lowered sticks now so he doesn't fall off again for the time being
93896-2629751438.jpg
93896-4534590053.jpg
JUST before be fell off;
93896-8299879436.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":3bx8lww2 said:
Got Nardo home tonight back from Vet!...
Purchased today Reptisun 10.0 30W 36" with reflector fixture (on top of tank with no mesh covering), and Par 38 80W globe, insulated outside of tank with polystyrene (careful none goes in his tank!)

Was a bit unsure with temp gun as the stick he was on ranged from 35-52 from one side to the other width, <<< the problem with temperature guns is they are susceptible to systematic errors such as
>> specular errors ( reading the temperature of the reflection of the sun or the heat source (globe)
>> they average the temperature of everything see inside the measuring spot , if this includes cooler background objects they will indicate a low temperature , if the background is hotter they indicate hotter , much be careful to only measure the spot of interest by getting the gun close to it
>> emissivity errors (they are typically calibrated for e = 0.95 (steel) and many materials have a very different emissivity --> the temperature measured is in error as result
>> they only measure the temperature of surfaces , so you do not know the air/zone temperature.

he was sitting a bit lower at about 38, he was 33.5 degrees, sitting for about 10 minutes....
Don't want him to have access to any temperature on the viv higher than 43 degC. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

....All of a sudden I saw him slipping off his stick, he fell backward onto the astro turf, he FROZE UP! motionless, legs backwards and mouth open!! omg :'( :'(
I laid him down again to relax for a few minutes, picked him up then gave him drops of water with a little syringe and he drank lots!! His right toes were twitching: https://youtu.be/kZF9kLygNI8
<< he's only a little fellow .... twitching, if it's intermittent and he does it when basking or resting I don't think it's an issue.
If the twitching (I saw) only happened when you was nursing him , it may actually be your pulse being amplified , his arm is on you finger type, and the pulse is magnified by the length of his arm and fingers (maybe).
Keep an eye on him and note when he does it for how long

Anyone heard of this reaction? Too hot? Too close UVB?? Please help! My poor little boy :'(

<<< not experienced that , but I'd be worried if he doesn't recover when placed on his tummy in a cooler area of the viv.

He may be sick/weak due to the meds and the treatment he had the vet ???

If too hot he'd most likely leave try to leave the place where it's too hot.

I'd double check the temperatures - I use these to get my routine viv and tank temperatures for all my gang : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/172452294173?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D2f7042e06fbf49ef8ed29ef34ebfc083%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696 I've tested them and found the ones I have to be pretty accurate.

This is what the tank WAS, I lowered sticks now so he doesn't fall off again for the time being
<< I'd remove options to climb for now and maybe adjust the lights to compensate.
<< beauty with those par38s is they are dimmable.

93896-2629751438.jpg
93896-4534590053.jpg
JUST before be fell off;
93896-8299879436.jpg
careful using those spring loaded clamp lamps , they are known to fall into the viv when knocked .

Nardo

Original Poster
Think flat surface would be better as the stick temp fluctuates too much.
Was the worst feeling in the world seeing him in that way, his body feels so fragile, he was so warm after the Vet and I want him to be warm again.
I have a temp gauge/hydrometer, thermostat, heat gun, and being new, but finding setting up the sticks and distances is like an expert level puzzle.
I've always owned parrots but beardy ownership is an art and I can't wait to master it with all of your guidance, thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Definitely get the temps. down ASAP. A lower basking spot is ideal for now [ the Reptisun w/reflector is fine at 12" , even 14" ] as well as drips of water on his nose daily, even twice a day in case he's dehydrated.

How is he moving around ? How is the lump on his leg ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":35r2eql7 said:
Think flat surface would be better as the stick temp fluctuates too much.
Was the worst feeling in the world seeing him in that way, his body feels so fragile, he was so warm after the Vet and I want him to be warm again.
I have a temp gauge/hydrometer, thermostat, heat gun, and being new, but finding setting up the sticks and distances is like an expert level puzzle.
I've always owned parrots but beardy ownership is an art and I can't wait to master it with all of your guidance, thank you!

If you want to set and forget , a dimming thermostat (like a Microclimate dimming thermostat) is a great solution (it's probe will need to fixed to the basking spot to work properly).

Otherwise it's going to small adjustments in the distance between the bottom of the par38 spot and the basking spot unit your thermometer tells you that you are in cooee of the aim temperature (41-43 degC) and you'll need to readjust as he grows and as the weather warms up .
He wont be little very long and they do grow fast if they have good care and enough good quality food.

Nardo

Original Poster
Where can I buy a dimmer?
He isn't moving around well, the lump on his leg is definitely smaller but it is still there.
He slept last night with red lamp on him with a blanket covering his eyes and he looked comfy, getting a CHE. I put him on stick again this morning after a couple arrangements and he fell off again!!!!! He didn't freeze up like last night though. He is scaring me :( and can not figure out how to use thermometer I have..will YouTube today.
Am at work all day and my partner is at home with temp gun keeping am eye on him.
Little boy is freaking me out with his limited movement and uncoordination

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have a write up of what the vet did while they had him there ? It's very important to see what they did [ and if it was even anything helpful ] Don't be afraid to ask questions. You don't have to be rude, but it's your right to know every single thing they did, exactly what meds. they gave him and what type of set up he was in. Sad to say, some vets do not do much good with reptiles and charge a lot of money.

Nardo

Original Poster
After falling of his stick last night and freezing up, falling on his back off stick again this morning (he shook it off and seemed ok), my partner just video called me after he went to gym to find Nardo on his back!!!! I am broken. He picked him up and he seemed ok, he is ridiculously tired, his back left leg twitched a few times, only ate 1 mealworm last night and not interested in food today.

93896-8055837704.jpg

I phoned Vet; they said bring him back, is due to his calcium deficiency and needs more calcium injections. I questioned them, unsure if I want to go back there :( Have contact of another recommended Reptile Vet.

93896-3006699961.jpg

Please please help

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":31a2lvxf said:
Where can I buy a dimmer?

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/eco-tech-dimming-reptile-thermostat.html
or
http://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/item/eco-tech-advanced-dimming-daynight-reptile-thermostat
or
http://www.proherp.com.au/home-products/habistat-dimming-thermostat.html
as good a places as any

He isn't moving around well, the lump on his leg is definitely smaller but it is still there.
He slept last night with red lamp on him with a blanket covering his eyes and he looked comfy, getting a CHE. I put him on stick again this morning after a couple arrangements and he fell off again!!!!! He didn't freeze up like last night though. He is scaring me :( and can not figure out how to use thermometer I have..will YouTube today.
Am at work all day and my partner is at home with temp gun keeping am eye on him.
Little boy is freaking me out with his limited movement and uncoordination

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nardo":1ey818le said:
After falling of his stick last night and freezing up, falling on his back off stick again this morning (he shook it off and seemed ok), my partner just video called me after he went to gym to find Nardo on his back!!!! I am broken. He picked him up and he seemed ok, he is ridiculously tired, his back left leg twitched a few times, only ate 1 mealworm last night and not interested in food today.

<<< poor little guy .... If you contact Livefoods Ltd (in Queensland) they can send you some BSF maggots (which are naturally rich in calcium and a very good feeder insect.
see http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insects/calci-worms/Calci-Worm-Handy-Pack

...also have silkworms (he might take a mealworm sized silkworm or two) ,also very good feeder insects and very nutritious and high in calcium.
see http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insects/Silkworms/Small-silkworms , you'll also need a bag of Silkworm Chow powder if you don't have access to a mulberry tree

Is he on any supplements (food slurries) ie VetaFarm HerpaBoost , VetaFarm Critical Care, Oxbow Carnivore Critical Care ?

93896-8055837704.jpg

I phoned Vet; they said bring him back, is due to his calcium deficiency and needs more calcium injections. I questioned them, unsure if I want to go back there :( Have contact of another recommended Reptile Vet.
<<<< I'd try the other vet if you are not impressed with current vet.

93896-3006699961.jpg

Please please help

Please remove the climbing stick , if he falls off and is too weak to right himself , they can not breath properly on their back , and no one notices , he might suffocate.

I suggest you set up something like this : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976 , and set the thermostat to hold at about 37 degC . This way he will get some warmth 24/7 .

Nardo

Original Poster
Thank you for the dimmer information, I thought it was an adapter/different fixture
I have crickets and mealworms for now but will order some better bugs for him.

I was given Calcium drops and have little syringe, I dust his crickets and wombaroo on veggies for bugs. Should I get one of those supplements you recommended?

Am not going to be home until late tonight, hope he makes it through this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom