[GUIDE] Waxworm breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
If you want to breed some beardie candy bars aka waxworms, this is how you do it, it's pretty easy.

what you'll need:

-plastic container with small holes in the top - walmart
-bran(oat or wheat) - found at most larger supermarkets
-honey - cheapest crap you can find
-100% pure glycerine - CVS pharmacy in the skincare section
-wax paper - supermarket
-mixing bowl - your cabinet :wink:
-waxworms - where ever you get your live feeders
-old nylons

Basically what we are going to do is mix up a bran/honey/glycerine substrate, place that substrate in the breeding container, put in the wax worms, put in the wax paper, drape the nylon materialove rthe opening, close the cover, place the container in a dark warm spot, and wait about 6 weeks.

making the substrate:
The substrate is a bran/honey/glycerine mixture that the worms will eat and pupate in. waxworms love bran and honey, the glycerine is added to keep the honey from drying out and making the substrate too hard for the worms. (we're not making hard trail mix bars ya know) :wink:

you'll want about 2" of substrate in the bottom of your breeding container. Take your dry bran and dump some into the breeding container until you have about 2"(just doing this to figure out how much bran we will need). Dump the bran from the breeding container in a mixing bowl. add in honey and glycerine. The ratio of honey to glycerine should be 2:1. The amount of honey/glycerine you put in will depend on how much bran there is. use you hand and mix up the substrate. If the substrate is too dry, add more honey/glycerine. The consistency of the substrate should be somewhat dry, not real gooey. you should be able to take the substrate and squish it together in your hand and when you open your hand it will crumble apart pretty easily. It's not an exact science, you just don't want an overly wet gooey substrate

SUBSTITUTIONS: I have heard you can substitute the honey with corn syrup(cheaper) and you can use oatmeal or bran type cereals for the bran.

Putting it together
once the substrate is the right consistency, dump it back in the breeding container. Add in the live waxworms. Some say put in 50, I tried 25 my first time. Take a 12" size piece if wax paper and fold it like an accordion or fan and then fold the whole thing in half. Place the wax paper in the breeding container. Drape the nylons over the opening and place the breeding container lid on and store in a dark warm area like the top shelf of a coat closet.

Timing and what to expect
the waxworms will pupate in a week or two, stay that way for a couple of weeks and small moths will emerge. These small moths will mate and lay their eggs on the wax paper, it looks like the moths have pooped on the wax paper. It's not poop, it's eggs, silly. I've heard that you don't need any additional heat for the cycle to complete, but keeping the breeding container at 85F will speed up the process. My breeder is at room temperature in the closet. I'm thinking I might try to create a small hot box with a UTH to keep it at 85F next time and see if things speed up.

The eggs will hatch and lots of tiny little wax worms will appear in the substrate and start eating it. I'm not too sure how long it takes for the eggs to hatch, I'm currently at the moth state with my breeding.

let the worms grow to the appropriate size.

That's really about it. Here's a link to a youtube movie that explains it all. It's not me in the movie, btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNE-gdnD0g

I hope this all helps, I'll yet you guys know how many baby worms I get. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I've included some pictures:

P1010283.jpg

P1010279.jpg

P1010278.jpg

P1010277.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010282.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yay!

Very detailed Larry, thanks for the pictures too. I really wanna try this.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gahhh I will try it lol... It was too tempting. Buying the stuff I need tomorrow.

I think I will use those 5lb licorice containers as my container. Will that work?

-Brandon

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3bojt604 said:
Gahhh I will try it lol... It was too tempting. Buying the stuff I need tomorrow.

I think I will use those 5lb licorice containers as my container. Will that work?

-Brandon

yeah, anything will work, just a container with a lid.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thanks,

I started with 25 worms just to see how many babies I would get. I didn't want to get overrun with 10 million wax worms, what would I do with all those...I guess I could put them on my salad :puke: Right now, I have about 6 moths and I can see the egg smears on wax paper so I'm pretty excited . I probably should have been a little more scientific about keeping a timeline log and compare notes after using different heat levels for the whole process. I will probably do that next time.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
This is great, I'm gonna do it too! Oh and since I will definitely have more than I need my excess will be sold boo-yah! Money for bigger caging! LOL Ok so maybe not but I can dream ;)

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Its really that easy? I think this will have to be added to my to-do-list once I get a beardie since its something that I would not want to start before hand.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NFM07":2kvgub40 said:
Its really that easy? I think this will have to be added to my to-do-list once I get a beardie since its something that I would not want to start before hand.

well, I'm still at the moth stage. The moths are currently laying their eggs on the wax paper. I have not used any additional heat so I'm hoping the new worms hatch fine. we shall see :wink:

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NFM07":2ifqm00k said:
Please keep us updated. How good of a staple are wax worms vs butters or repti?

I've been seeing more moths, and some of the original moths have died(which is supposed to happen). The moths are only suppose to last about a week.

Waxworms are not a good staple because of their fat content. They are a yummy snack that you feed them once or twice a week along with his normal feeders.

I'm planning to start breeding supers but I need to make my insect breeding hot box first. I think if my waxworm experiment was done completely in 85F temps, it probably would have progressed faster. I need to try that next time.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NFM07":2jv3fm85 said:
How are things going?
I think I'm at the tail end of the moth phase, I have a lot of dead moths sitting on the substrate. I still have a couple fluttering around though. I do see, what I believe, are clumps of tan eggs in the creases of wax paper. it also looks like these egg clumps are getting bigger. At some point real soon, I'll probably see a bunch of really tiny worms

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
still nothing, I'm beginning to wonder if the temperatures are right. It does look like the eggs are in the creases of the crinkled up wax paper. I just read on another site about the temperature need to be between 80 and 90 to incubate the eggs...

"The time frames for these insects are never accurate. Temperature, environment, etc. are all factors that help to determine how long these insects will live, grow, and reproduce.
The adult greater wax moth will live for roughly one week. They can live much longer if the temperatures, environment, etc. are suitable. Them living longer is not a concern for the breeders of these insects. In the short week that they are alive, the female can lay as many as 1000 eggs.
The eggs will incubate for a short period of time. The temperature within the container also determines egg incubation. Within the first week that the eggs have hatched, they begin to eat and tunnel their way through the substrate that you have provided. At optimal growth rates, these insects will be large enough to feed within as little as 15 days.
Since the temperatures that these insects are kept in plays such a crucial role in their development and growth, the life span for your colony cannot be determined.
The optimal temperature for your colony would be 80-90 degrees."

so I might add a heating pad to warm things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom