Growing superworms

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
im trying to get my superworms to pupate but im having issues i started with 10 formally to see 3 have died i think i have one pupating but i wont 100% know for another few days what can i do to grow them better? ( into beetles )

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Are you separating them?

Superworms won't pupate if they are around other superworms and if there is food around. Put each one in their own individual deli cup.

-Brandon
Thats what i did and once i see one die i put them back together and assume there not old enough idk ive had a few die but i feed them for a few days there long and thickish so i separate in their own deli cups i think one is pupating but how do i know when there of age for separation is that why there dying cuz its to soon?

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I’ve never seen one go lighter yet with abit of shed in it is this what the start of pupation looks like? ( the other one went dark )

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 53

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I’ve never seen one go lighter yet with abit of shed in it is this what the start of pupation looks like? ( the other one went dark )
I've set time aside and have tried countless times to breed Superworms.
They never turned into beetles. I didn't know what was wrong. I still don't.
You'd be better off buying the beetles or asking more of a professional on here.

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I've set time aside and have tried countless times to breed Superworms.
They never turned into beetles. I didn't know what was wrong. I still don't.
You'd be better off buying the beetles or asking more of a professional on here.
Damn only way to get tge beetles is to buy worms that have sat so long at the petstore they changed there ( somtime you find a beetle or two in the container) dont think people sell them as beetles here

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Damn only way to get tge beetles is to buy worms that have sat so long at the petstore they changed there ( somtime you find a beetle or two in the container) dont think people sell them as beetles here
I'm sure someone is selling them online.
Superworm beetles
It was hard to find.

I had it where they had escaped and turned into beetles.
I still don't know how.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a picture of your setup and how you're actually trying to get them to pupate?

They really are easy to do, it's likely you are just missing out on one or two key details.

If you are trying to pupate immature worms, you'll have low success too. You need to be doing it with the large full grown worms.

Each in it's own deli cup. Hole or two in the lid for air. Throw them in your closet where it is dark and room temp. I've never had an issue getting them to pupate this way.

-Brandon

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Can you post a picture of your setup and how you're actually trying to get them to pupate?

They really are easy to do, it's likely you are just missing out on one or two key details.

If you are trying to pupate immature worms, you'll have low success too. You need to be doing it with the large full grown worms.

Each in it's own deli cup. Hole or two in the lid for air. Throw them in your closet where it is dark and room temp. I've never had an issue getting them to pupate this way.

-Brando
There all in individual cups like this the lids have wholes i covered them so its dark im not sure how big there supposed to be but i pulled the buggest ones i had then feed those for about a week then separated them

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 39

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I swear it was bigger then it started going like tht weird white colour those are kinda big containers heres a comparison these are mealworm pupas i just bought from the petstore the containers are pretty big for one bug this is what i get from the petstore that holds 50 -100 superworms and bedding i dont have many small containers i only have one small one ill post a photo of all the superworms i seperated in the cups

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 35

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah mealworms will pupate even when surrounded by other mealworms. Superworms will not. They need to feel trapped and safe in a small environment. If your superworms are full grown, the only thing I can think of that might be holding you back is the size of your container for each one.

The deli cups I'm talking about are about an inch and a half in diameter, like what you'd fill up some ketchup with at a restaraunt.

You can also use a craft/fishing tackle organize like this:
This is the proper size.

Edit: those updated pictures, the worms look OK sized. I would try putting them into smaller containers and see if you have better success. What temperature are you keeping them at?

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom