Goodbye Sammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammysmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I called the vet 3 times and no one answered so I finally just sent them an email. A vet emailed back and said he'd call me as soon as he could but he doesn't think that could be a problem.

Sammysmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm starting to question everything now. How close to Sammy should the UVB bulb be? I have in mounted inside the 10 gallon tank. When he's on the ground it's 8-10 inches from him depending on where he's standing. When he's basking or on his hammock it's 4-6 inches from him. Could his eyes be bothering him from the UVB? It's an 18" reptisun 10.0

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
As long as you have a bright basking light then the UVB should not harm his eyes. The general consensus here has been to allow the dragon to get within 6" of the UVB at their basking area or where they would hang out the most. I can't imagine it is the UVB...is it a new bulb?

Sammysmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":1yx91ses said:
As long as you have a bright basking light then the UVB should not harm his eyes. The general consensus here has been to allow the dragon to get within 6" of the UVB at their basking area or where they would hang out the most. I can't imagine it is the UVB...is it a new bulb?

Yeah. The bulb is only 2 weeks old.

Gail

BD.org Addict
4-6 inches is too close for a strong bulb like the reptisun, it should be at least 6-8 inches away. With the way he is acting, I would try to get it 8" from the basking area.

Sammysmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":ojn6t0ul said:
4-6 inches is too close for a strong bulb like the reptisun, it should be at least 6-8 inches away. With the way he is acting, I would try to get it 8" from the basking area.
Should I turn it off for now?

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear you lost your little one. You did everything you could for him, don't ever doubt that. Unfortunetly this is a common occurance pet store babies because they sell them too young. He probably had issues before you got him. I hope this doesn't discourage you to get another, because they really are great pets, and nothing you did caused this to happen.
You and your family are in my thoughts :( keep your head up!

bltkpo

Juvie Member
I am sorry to hear of your lose. :( Don't think you did anything wrong - from your thread, I can tell you did everything in your power to keep him alive. Unfortunately, sometimes we don't get a say on the matter.

Take care of yourself, and as bdalton said, once you have healed up a bit, maybe try for a second beardie, that is a little older and assured to be healthy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom