Gone for a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Hey guys! Alright, so later this month, I am going on a trip for about four days, which I tried to avoid, but could not. Since it involves hotels, Gabe's got to stay home. Now, I don't really trust anyone in my family to feed him live crickets (none of them are patient enough to take the stuff out, dust crickets, watch him, make sure they don't feed him any that are too large, put the stuff back in), but will he be alright eating just greens for that length of time? He's about 16 months now. I do trust my younger brother to clean up poop and rip up greens every day. The lights go on and off by a timer. Do you think that's enough?

Hi why not put the crickets in a separate tube 10 or how ever many he eats lightly dust them and just some greens too go in with them too eat that way your brother can just drop the 10 in that way you know only the ones you choose are feed

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Genestealer187":4dzkj0fu said:
Hi why not put the crickets in a separate tube 10 or how ever many he eats lightly dust them and just some greens too go in with them too eat that way your brother can just drop the 10 in that way you know only the ones you choose are feed

Because the crickets tend to die if they are not left in their larger container with all their food/water gels (This guy eats a lot more than ten in a feeding, even if he does primarily eat greens), and I absolutely still do not trust anyone other than me to take everything out of Gabriel's tank (so crickets don't hide, he won't eat anywhere else), make sure to get any crickets that he doesn't eat, and then put everything back into his tank. Not to mention that involves handling him, and I do not want anyone else handling him, considering they're a bit skittish of reptiles.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Take him with you if travelling by car or rail.

Else you need to show your brother what to and to train him up in how to look after your beardie while you are away and he might need to handle the beardie in order to spot clean the tank, though can probably do this with the beardie present in the tank if careful not to drop anything heavy and hard on it.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Can your brother feed your BD the crickets in another container outside his tank. You may need to take some time to get your BD used to eating like this but it would avoid crickets being left in his home

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had thought of that, SDragons, my biggest problem is not that my family is unwilling, it's that they are very, very skittish. It's not a matter of training them. It'd be like if they asked me to take care of a tarantula: I would not do it. Gabriel's tank is in my room, and no one ever has to deal with him, which is the way they like it. It's not ideal for traveling, but then again, I've never had to travel away from him more than a day/night, so it's never been a problem before.

Anyways, my problem is actually solved, I am leaving later and returning early on the first and fourth day, so I will be able to feed him before I leave and when I get home. So it's really only two days that he'll be alone, and I am /definitely/ certain that at his age, he can eat a bowl of salad on both of those days and still be alright, so my brother will be alright so long as he doesn't have to touch Gabe, which he won't.

Thank you for all the responses though!

SDragons

Juvie Member
I'm glad that you found something that works for you. I hope your BD has a peaceful time during your trip away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom