Fussy beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The store I work at sells a product - dried mealworms - by a company named Kaytee. Would these be okay for my beardie? She's being very picky right now of what she eats; running out of options.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Mealworms are generally considered the worst feeder for beardies. They're almost nothing but shell, which can cause impaction and has no nutritional value.

Lovehunee72

Original Poster
Thanks; any suggestions about her food? I've tried acorn squash, mustard and collard greens. When I dust her food she will not touch it.

Lovehunee72

Original Poster
She's about 4mos, 6" ( nose to tip of tail); she used to eat crickets but she' ll eat finials and a super worm when I can get her to eat.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Superworms are great for beardies over 16" in length. Babies have a kink in their intestines and it can be hard for them to pass superworms. When they get older/larger the kink straightens some and they don't have the risk of impaction.

I'm not sure what a finial is so I need to look that up, unless someone else can help out with that question.

We feed our beardies a varied diet of Repti-worms (the black soldier fly larvae), crickets, silkworms and the occasional waxworm. I just ordered 100 butterworms from Mulberry Farms so hopefully they will like that also. Have you tried any of these soft-bodied worms?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Anything on this website that is green (feed daily) or black (feed occasionally) that is on this care sheet from beautiful dragons: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Our dragons love turnip and mustard greens, yellow squash, some like butternut squash and cactus pad. I don't feed as much veggie variety yet because I have mostly young dragons and they seem happy with these items, but sooon we will be adding more greens to our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom