Fluid in belly and very bloated.

ethanmelch

Beardie name(s)
Baby
Hi, I recused a bearded dragon back in Aug of 2023 and she was severely underweight and had an excessive amount of pinworms along with a bad respiratory infection (She also had a yeast infection in the lungs due to being on multiple medications). We had to take her to a board certified exotic vet because the vets around here didnt know what to do. Puff is now cured from those illnesses and now at a healthy weight, but She was on several different medications. She was on three different medications for the respiratory infection because the first two didn't work (Enrofloxacin and Marbofloxacin) so we put her on Ceftazidime Injections every three days and that is what cured the infection.

Heres the list of medications shes been on: Enrofloxacin (On for 2 weeks), Marbofloxacin (On for 3 months), Terbinafine for the yeast (5 months), Ceftazidime (4 months) and Meloxidly pain relief (Shes still on it).

She started bloating back in September/November and keeps getting bigger so we got some tests done on the fluid and the doctor put her on Furosemide. We got the results back and she has white blood cells and a high protein count in her belly. Were not for sure she has cancer, so we dont know whats really causing the fluid. Theyre taking as much fluid out as they can this upcoming Wednesday and were gonna be doing an ultrasound as well. Whenever i feed her, her belly twitches and she feels more bloated. Today was her bug day and i only gave her two silkworm along with a few cucumber pieces for hydration. Shes bright and active still, but should I hold off on feeding her until she gets the fluid out to be safe or should I continue feeding her. Her belly feels tight and im afraid its gonna rupture before we make it to the appointment.

Anything helps, Thank you

Fluid Results:

Attachments

• IMG_6276.jpeg
    IMG_6276.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6277.jpeg
    IMG_6277.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6278.jpeg
    IMG_6278.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6279.jpeg
    IMG_6279.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
@Drache613 is the best on here to answer your questions. she's on late at night. i'm wishing the best for you and your beardie though

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry about your girl! Thanks for posting the lab tests & results for us, I appreciate it.
Hopefully it isn't cancer, that seems to be common nowadays. Reading through the reports, I had
come to the same conclusion as well. Since she was on an array of medications early on, for awhile,
I am thinking that it may have lead to kidney or liver issues. Did they do a full blood test yet? I would
love to see those values, if you have them.
The fluid in the coelomic cavity causing the bloating could definitely be from liver or kidney but hopefully
not the heart. Are her eyes normal or are they puffy & or enlarged?
As far as feeding her, that is a hard call. Does she willingly eat? Do your best to keep her comfortable &
hopefully they can get some excess fluids drained out & find the culprit.
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom