Fluid Filled Belly *UPDATE* Feb 2, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got some bad news. I took Baby to the vet yesterday. She had stopped eating and her belly had gotten very balloon like. After she woke from burmation earlier this year she ate a ton and was getting quite chunky. But a few weeks ago she stopped eating and thats when her belly looked more blown up like a balloon rather than just chunk.

When I took her in yesterday, both the vet and I had hoped it was either a blockage or eggs. But when she did the x-ray it showed nothing except fluid. She took a sample and it was a yellowish green liquid.

So....bottom line is that it could be a couple things but most likely liver failure and it is really just a waiting game. She is still alert, still wants me to talk to her and hold her, still runs around when I take her out just not eating and breathing a bit harder from the fluid pushing on her lungs. It could also be a bacterial infection picked up way back before I get her that had taken this long to manifest. The vet gave me and antibiotic and said there is a small chance this might work, I should know in 4-6 weeks. But in the meantime, soak her daily to keep her from getting more dehydrated and syringe feed her baby food. Either the antibiotic will work or I am just keeping her comfortable until she either passes or she gets to where she is struggling and I take her in to, you know....

I am broken hearted, she had been the best girl. She is only a little over a year and a half. Sad day.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Hi there,
Don't give up. My beardie and I just got done fighting off his sickness since January. He was gravid, not eating, and probably had an RI as well. Let me tell you it was a long fight, but he is looking good today and eating on his own, we are hopefully finishing up his last round of shots. His energy levels are finally good, he's getting me up at 6am every morning :roll: . My beardie had fluid around his heart and my vet wasn't to optimistic at first either. Now he has minimal fluid and runs around like a nutter. These guys are fighters.
What anti-biotic is she on? What is the dose and how many times a week are you giving it to her? Are you using a probiotic to help?

peachypink

Original Poster
It is Bytril 15mg/ml, I am to give her .15 ml every other day.

Also, how much baby food should I try to give her? Gave her the medicine and a bit of the baby food and it went better that I expected this morning.

Jacqqui

I'm sorry to hear about your baby.
I just posted about mine also having a swollen belly. Mine is Adenovirus positive and I know that liver failure can happen.
What were the other things the vet said it could be? I know I was advised that if it was liver issues giving the supplement Serapeptase works well. I'm not sure what the dosing is I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable posters or Mods can let you know more about it.

I hope the antibiotics work. Don't give up hope.

peachypink

Original Poster
I would be curious about that supplement if anyone has more info on it...

She didn't have any other suggestion other than it could be bacterial.

Jacqqui

She's beautiful and yellow like mine who's going through this!!!. Trust the vet, mine had a bump on his lip on the tip of his chin, that we didn't know what it was from. The vet did xrays and found nothing and figured it was a fluid cyst. I did'nt think it would help but the antibiotics made it go away.
I hope you get the same result.
If you reach out to Tracie "Drachie613" she can tell you about the supplements. She seems to come on late at night to see these postings. You can also message her. She's very helpful and knowledgeable.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is beautiful. She does have a good amount of swelling of her belly.
The Baytril is a good antibiotic so hopefully that will work pretty well for her.
Are you keeping her protein levels on a low to moderate level with more of an emphasis on greens & veggies?
A lower protein diet will help the liver function better not having to break down as much fats.

Serrapeptase & milk thistle both are very good for helping liver function. I am sorry she is having this issue!
Where did you get her?

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
What is the best way to give her a low protein diet when I am having to syringe feed her?

I got her from a reptile store in town. I'm not a fan of the owner but one of the employees is very knowledgeable and I make sure to only come in when he's there. It's a small place and he's the manager so he's always there. I won't be going through a local store the next time I get one, but We have all done stupid things where we go in to "look" and fall for a cute little booger, right? Or am I the only one?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's nearly impossible to resist the cute little faces in the store tanks. You aren't alone there. I syringe feed vegetable baby food to balance out the protein in the carnivore care I use. Green beans, squash, and sweet potato have been popular choices in terms of flavor/interest.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
Those baby foods mentioned are great. You can use some chicken or turkey baby food also in with the veggies for some protein.
Are her colors still looking bright?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
Thanks for asking. She was moving around a bit less today. Started a little darker but brightened up as she warmed up. She did eat veggies on her own yesterday. That is the first time in about two weeks. But then today she did stay kind of lower on her log most of the day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear she was up & around today, basking. At least she ate some greens/veggies also on her own. I hope her colors stay bright also. :D Keep us posted on her. I am thinking about her.

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
I went to give her the meds today and she had black sticky stuff come out of her mouth. She is still alert but I know that is not a good sign. I have a call into the vet and might possibly have to have her put down. We leave tomorrow to move to Texas. A two day trip I don't want her to suffer through. I'm feeling helpless.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
ohno.
did you get a hold of the vet and find out what that black sticky stuff could have been?

I'm so sorry :(
I have no advice to offer but I've been following and rooting for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom