First Time Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo1

I recently found my Rolo is a girl; she is 2&1/2 years old. I would like to breed her she is a beautiful, I will post pics later. I have been reading through a lot of the threads and can’t really get a good grasp on what breeding requires. I have read a couple articles and books but nothing beats personal experience. If at all possible can someone fill me in on what I am in for and how to prepare? I know it may be a lot to ask but I do not want to be fully ready and ensure I will not hurt my dragon. I do not have a male, well I don’t know if he is a male but him very young about a year.
I will be looking for a stud and I’m not to sure how to go about doing that either, what are some things I should look for and look out for in this process? I am not in a hurry to breed because I don’t have an incubation setup yet but I am anxious for information to find out if I can even do this in the future. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I had looked into breeding also so I learned a few major points (that made me not want to breed).
It's expensive, 1 breeding can result into up to 6 clutches of eggs. It can be a violent process so you have to keep a very close eye on the act which doesn't take long, usually a couple minutes. Have a small 1st aid kit on hand in case either have any skin tears. You'll need a laybox for when she's ready to lay.
You'll need an incubator for the eggs to be placed in after they're laid. Each 5 babies, after they hatch, need to have their own bin\cage with the uvb light and heat light. They eat 3 times a day as much as they can eat in 15 minutes each time, this can be up to 100 tiny crickets per baby per day.They also should have fresh salad in their cage daily. They shouldn't be sold until they're 6 weeks old or 6 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom