First egg hatched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay so i have 2 babies that i am worried about.

1. since the day it was born it has been skinny though he's been really lively running around and eating but he doesn't seem to put on any weight no matter how much it eats, today he didn't eat at all and will have water from my finger.

2. the second baby I'm worried about he fell out of his tank as he jumped out and now his neck/head is always to the left unless i massage it and lift it up, he still walks around and eats but i don't know how to help him.

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Hi

I have been waiting for a catch up but not this way. So sorry you have worries with 2 of the babies. I am not experienced enough to help you here, but I am sure some one will. Have you posted in the ER thread?

How are all the others? I am just about to post pics of mine at nearly a month old.

Stay positive

Marie x

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have some very sad news :(.
The skinny one died the other day, then just yesterday one disappeared my presumption is that it may have been eaten because it couldn't have got out of the tank and now I found another (the second one born) dead :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I feed them like I'm supposed to, I calcium and give them veggies and water and spray them with water :( I'm at a loss. Though the skinny one they died randomly stopped eating and was really skinny, same with the one who died today

mortitia

Hatchling Member
hi
i'm not sure at all what is going wrong for you. Poor boxer.
Do you need to mist them? I have read that it can cause respiratory problems.

Up until just now I have had a 100% success rate with mine. The latest baby out has taken nearly 2 days to come out of the egg and I wasn't sure why. I then noticed that the temp had gone up to about 34 and the egg was very crisp, I put some more water in an empty tub to bring the humidity up, in case that helped. I thought it was dead but it moved when I touched it, so I left it to do its own thing. I have just been and checked and it was out of the egg all but the tip of his tail. I picked him up and am pretty sure he is no longer with us, but then I thought I saw a leg move so I have put him in the nursery on the log under the heat lamp. I don't know if he will make it, but they are pretty good at playing dead when they are little, i am gutted tho.

I don't know about you but it takes me about 2 - 3 hours a day to care for them. I am going through 1000 crix a day, along with veggies and calci worms. I alternate between bathing one day and dropper feeding water the next day.

You must be devastated especially as they are a few weeks older than mine. Why do you think one may have been eaten? Are the other 9 doing ok?

Thinking of you, keep me posted

Marie x

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi maybe I need to just keep bathing them, I feed all mine separately And all up mine eat 2 boxes o baby crickets in about 2 days, + veggies they eat to how much they want and that's it. As far as I know the other 9 are ok. But see I work 5 day a week and long hours, so do my parents so I can't look after them they still get fed twice a day morning and afternoon, they always have water :( I just don't know the only one who is going really good is the first born I just don't know :(
I think one was eaten as there's no way it could have got out of the tank and it's just disappeared

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Hi
It must be really difficult managing them all, as well as working full time. I am lucky because I work from home. My babies keep me on my feet nearly all day. I don't feed individually, I just keep throwing in tubes of crickets from the cricket keeper. I could never feed them one at a time! how do you do it?

I know its frowned upon, but if you put some dark leafed lettuce in with their food there is quite a lot of moisture in that. It may help if they are getting dehydrated.

I put mine in 25 ltr tub about 9 babies at a time with some warm water in the bottom, while I clean out their viv, I alternate at the moment with 2 vivs one day then the other 2 vivs the next.

Have you got any recent pictures, my oldest babies have just had their fist shed and its amazing how much they have grown in such a short time.

Marie x

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well there must be something wrong with mine none of them have shed and 3 more are now dead, I figured out one of them attacked all the others and killed them. My oldest got killed yesterday :( I just have a feeling they all will. 3 of them that have died have had problems since they were born. I guess I'm just not good at breeding them :( it's my first time and I guess I'm just not good at it

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Oh no, I really feel for you. This is my first time too. But for this to keep happening, as you say, if 3 of them that died have had problems since they were born, there is not much you can do.

Do you think one is bullying the others? is there anyway that you can move him out?

You must feel awful but I'm sure its nothing you are doing. Just one of those things.

Keep me posted or message me if you want to chat

Take care

Marie x

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Hi from a fellow Aussie :)

Sounds like you've been having a pretty bad run of things.
First of all, there's a good website with an extensive list of different things you can feed beardies here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

What size enclosure are you keeping the babies in? What is their basking temperature, how cold is it getting at night and are they getting UV?

Also, are the parents related at all? (just out of interest).

There are so many possible reasons for hatchling bearded dragon deaths, but we can try to narrow it down at least.

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi the temperatures are correct and it's very hot here at the moment so the haven't had their heat on during the morning/middle of the day for about 1 week. I have 4 left now and they seem healthy, eating lots and running around. I honestly just think it was natural selection because the last baby died I think on Friday? And I had one die every day but touch wood these ones are good. I'm just worried as they aren't growing like my above persons is I feed them twice a day and offer veggies everyday and they haven't shed yet, these ones are younger though as all the older ones died. It's hard where I live to get lots of boxes of baby crickets because they get them in once a week and only get a couple of boxes in at a time.
I have one beardie with a deformed arm/hand though when I try to straighten it he jumps a little so he's still has nerves etc I just don't know how to fix him, it wasn't like that when it was Born so I think he might have sprained it Or something I'm not sure if they're related I got them from the same person but I think they had 2 breeding pairs.

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
True, very hard to control temps at the moment with all these heat waves!

The reason I asked about enclosure size is that small spaces can lead to aggression and injury/death. I had 5 hatchlings this season, they were in a 4x2x2 enclosure (LOADS of room) and though it never came to blows at six weeks old some were still feeling intimidated by their siblings.

They're not kept in a stressful situation at all? (Things like an all-glass enclosure without blocked sides, sitting in a busy part of the house, or able to see their parents can cause enough stress to kill a hatchling - or even an older dragon).

Bearded dragons grow at different rates, yours may be naturally slower. For example last year I took on a beardie whose average growth was half a centimetre per week, and one of my hatchlings this season was growing 1.5-2 centimetres.

As for the little guy with the arm issues, you'd be best to consult a vet

RachhFloynter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are in an all glass enclosure and can see their parents and the parents are basically in all glass, the tops of the tank aren't glass only the sides. Though the other 4 are perfectly fine. There's been nothing wrong with these 4. So I dunno, as I said before maybe it was just natural selection, if any more were to die I'd be changing something. But these 4 seem perfectly healthy

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Okay, listen. You NEED to stop them seeing the adults. Adult bearded dragons naturally prey on hatchlings when they find them... it's an instinct in lizards that causes stress and has them running for cover - they won't get used to the sight of their parents, it will kill them.

This is coming from personal experience. The dragons will look fine, act fine (if a little skittish) and all of a sudden (I'm talking within hours) go into a downhill slide that results in death. I am thinking now that maybe this is what happened to your others. It's sometimes not something you think about, but reptiles are close to wild animals and nothing can stop that instinct when a predator is nearby. Please shield their view, or better yet place them in another room where there is no risk of them seeing a reflection of the adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom